270WSM and 150gr LRAB

Danny1788

Beginner
Oct 21, 2011
So I got 500 of the 150gr nosler LR accubonds from SPS last week and loaded a few test rounds.

Loaded them up in model 70 extreme weather, loaded RL25, Fed215gm, and seated them right on the lands. My rifle has a short throat and the loaded round is only 2.935".

67.0gr

67.5gr

68.0gr

67.0gr AV=3023fps
67.5gr AV=3011fps
68.0gr AV=3047fps

Im thinking with some seating depth changes I can get it grouping better. Good looking start though.

Not too bad. You need to play with seating depth I think. Getting flyers.

FOTIS":1mptaopf said:
Not too bad. You need to play with seating depth I think. Getting flyers.

Indeed. Some real promise in those groups.

I started on the lands just like I would with a Berger, not really knowing where these bullets would like it. The velocity isn't that great but my barrel seems to be slow with most 150's anyways so I am happy with these first groups. Hopefully I can get them dialed in for hunting season here next month.

Look honestly with that BC anything over 2900-2950 is gravy!

Very nice. I ( as many have on here) have found the regular AB's like a little jump to start off.. I have my cases just about ready for the .270win and I have 100 ABLR's in hand now. Can't wait.

I'm thinking that these will like some jump as well. I played with them in my 270 Weatherby Monday morning with some 7828. My groups looked like yours. Two really close and one way out. I had them loaded as long as possible in my rifle, 3.35" I think. I have some more loaded up with Retumbo @ 3.295 that I am going to try tomorrow morning. I'm going to try Ramshot Magnum as well. I'm hoping that with the shorter COAL that groups will come together.

Best of luck to you!

Great report Denny. That's very promising. I plan to start just like you have, just off the rifling and back them up .030" per batch. I will be plenty happy with anything in the 3000-3050 range. That's just danged cool though. I'm getting pretty pumped to try them. I have about 300 of them, and everything ready to go, just need some time to put them together.

So I sent my rifle back to Winchester, after firing brass once it will only re-chamber if I open the bolt then shut it again( easy bolt closing by the way) if I turn the case 90 degree it wont close at all. Seems the chamber is cut off center. Hopefully Winchester makes it right!!! Also you can see a gap between the barrel tenon and the action that's not right. I'm no gun smith but pretty competent reloader and have built a few custom rifles and have never ran into this problem. These loads were not over pressure either no ejector marks at all. I had a feeling that something was wrong and finally figured it out after inspecting more. This rifle would never group anything consistent, found a decent load with the 150gr interbonds then retested it and was all over the place. Just kind of bummed I didn't get to hunt CA with it this year.

My buddy had a problem with his 270 WSM in the exact same model you have, it went back twice but they fixed it eventually. The issue with yours sounds pretty similar as his was.

I hope they fix it the first time hahah, seems like quality control has suffered from the switch to browning, when you spend that much money on a rifle like this you would think it would be top notch but I guess not. I bedded the rifle and duracoated the action I hope that doesn't void the factory warranty. Hope to hear back from them soon.

I know what you mean, I can't imagine they wouldn't take care of you though. Let us know how it works out for you.

Browning/Winchester pretty much told me to kick rocks, they do not warranty rifles for reloading. They said it will fire a factory round so it's ok. They know the chamber is cut off center but will not replace the barrel. 100% BS they know it's broke and won't fix it. Last time I ever waste my time and money on a new production Winchester. Now I'm just gonna set the chamber back or rebarrel the damn thing. I couldn't believe they told me that they new it was not right but wouldn't warranty it. If anyone is thinking of buying a new production Winchester STOP rethink your choice of rifle.

Danny1788":3uv5ria5 said:
Browning/Winchester pretty much told me to kick rocks, they do not warranty rifles for reloading. They said it will fire a factory round so it's ok. They know the chamber is cut off center but will not replace the barrel. 100% BS they know it's broke and won't fix it. Last time I ever waste my time and money on a new production Winchester. Now I'm just gonna set the chamber back or rebarrel the damn thing. I couldn't believe they told me that they new it was not right but wouldn't warranty it. If anyone is thinking of buying a new production Winchester STOP rethink your choice of rifle.

Don't feel too bad Danny. I had the same experience with a brand new Remington CDL 25-06. Wouldn't keep three shot's within a 12" circle. I tried quite a few load combo's. When I called them, they just figured it was me and that 12" was acceptable......

The rifle did eventually do okay with a bunch of bedding and pillars, along with some load work, but that was the Remington that ended it for me. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.

Sounds like the Canadian repair center is better than the U.S. my buddy didn't have that kind of problem. That really sucks, I thought they would have treated you better than that.

I am surprised at that response. We have not encountered such attitudes here in Canada. I have been blown off by Ruger, however. I guess any of the companies can harbour jerks and act as if integrity is dead.

I have only had trouble once & that was with Browning. I had a 375 Hurt & Hurt and was having trouble with the boss tuning system. When they asked a couple of questions I mentioned that I hand loaded. As soon as I mentioned that they became very defensive advising that it was likely the bullets I made and they recommended that I only use factory Ammo :evil:. They then asked for the serial number of my Medallion & I ended the conversation.
I have spoke with Remington twice & was very happy with the help I received.
Blessings,
Dan

Back