280AI

hardcorehunter5

Beginner
Nov 19, 2011
Hello all,

I just finished breaking in a 280AI(traditional specs) and Im working on some loads using 140 AB and 150 BT. Barrel is 26" long and the powders I have on hand are RL19 RL22 H4831, and MRP all were acquired over the past year in plans on shooting this rifle. Could you guys give me some loads to work with as I dont want to burn alot of powder finding the sweet spot. Like to have powder left to tinker with the perfect combo. What should be a minimum velocity I should be happy with as well? I was thinking 2900-3000fps should be minimum, thoughts?

-Hardcore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hardcore, I would bet JD will be along, but I think he is running RL22 with 140's and 150's and 160's in his 280 Ackley. MRP and 4831 would be great as well, from what I have seen. I don't have specific loads, but again, I bet the 280 AI fella's will be along shortly with their data.

I've pretty much run RL22 in my 280AI and the results have been excellent.
120 gr BT
280AI120grBT.jpg

140 gr AB

140 gr BT
280AI140grBT210.jpg

150 gr PT
022.jpg

150 gr ABLR
049.jpg

150 gr E-Tip
280AI150grE-Tip300.jpg

160 gr AB
280AI160grAB.jpg

280AI.jpg

IMHO, RL22 is the powder to use.
With a 24" barrel, the 140 gr are 3150-3240 fps depending on the load. The 150 gr ABLR is 3100 fps and the 160 gr AB is 3000 fps. My rifle is throated long so my COL is longer than you may be able to seat to. As a result, your results may be different than mine.
Remember to start low and work up!

JD338

My best load is:
Nosler Brass
63.0 gr RL22
140 Gr. Nosler AB
Rem. 9 1/2 primer
COAL 3.405
3225 fps (chrongraphed)
The 140 AB is the only bullet I've used. RL22 is by far the best powder I have used. My rifle has a 25 1/2" barrel which probably helps a little with the velocity.
BP

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,780
That is fine riflery and an excellent load. There isn't too much that a 140 grain AB at those velocities can't handle. It would work fine on moose and elk. Maybe I'd avoid poking one of the big bears with that load. However, it would be better than a stick in the eye if I encountered one with attitude.

Very nice shooting! That's a killer load right there. That'd make my 7mm WSM sweat a little.

I had another range session today & had pretty good results with 150gr. ABLRs I got a .75 MOA which is not great but respectable :wink:. I used 60.5 grs. of RL-22, Nosler brass & Feds. 210m primers.
JD. do you think that I could tighten it up a little more if I switched to 215M primers? I have never used mag. primers in a non magnum casing.

Blessings,
Dan

I can't see Fed GM215 primers making your group tighter. Such a change will produce increased brisance, which will increase pressure measurably. You will observe increased velocity, which may or may not make accuracy greater. The same velocity increase can be achieved by slightly more powder. Accuracy potential for the load is more likely to be attained by changing seating depth.

Dan,

My gun smith told me to switch to the GM215M primers and my groups
really tightened up. Keep in mind that pressures will go up with a magnum
primer.

JD338

I used JD's seating depth of 3.404" as I stated not bad MOA but I would like it a little tighter :wink:.
I still do not have 35 bullets down the tube so I have only cleaned my rifle once since using DrMike's break-in procedures :)!
I will give it another good cleaning today using Butch's Boreshine & then will take a couple of fouling shots at the farm on Sunday :mrgreen:.
I am leaving Saturday morning as Elk starts on Sept. 15th we will be hunting until Friday noon. I am then coming home as I am helping with a Wedding on Saturday. I am then heading back up for the final week on Monday :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

As far as primers go, I have a little different experience. I had been using 62.5 gr of RL22 and 140 gr AB with a Fed. 215 primer. I had good results with that (.75"ish). Then I tried 63.0 gr of RL22 with the Rem. 9 1/2 and my groups shrunk considerably. (See above). I picked up about 25 fps with that combination and still have no significant signs of pressure. I think that change made the difference since nothing else changed, (same seating depth, brass, powder, etc.). I think that some rifles just respond better to certain "recipes". Suttle changes sometimes make big differences. If you want to keep experimenting, it can take a while to find the "perfect" combination. (how small do you want your groups to be?) To address another point, I have used lots of magnum primers in non-magnum calibers with good results. It think that maybe the hotter primer gives more uniform ignition of the powder? I'm not sure. I do know that the 280 AI is about as good as gets, (at least in my opinion!) Good luck.
BP

Pretty impressive shooting, guys. Groups like that are far and few for me, especially a couple extras for the 5 shot groups.

Dan (saskboy) sent the following information:

150gr. ABLRs, 60.5grs. of RL-22. with Federal 210M primers, the OAL is 3.404".
Leaving tomorrow @ 10:00am for Elk!!

Here are the cartridges:

Thank you DrMike :). First time I have ever used new Nosler Brass very impressive.
We are taking our shotguns as one of the farmers is having real problems with Geese damaging a couple of his fields. I have not shot geese in a number of years as I did not find a big challenge in shooting them. There is literally millions of them, I would rather get into a good mallard shoot or just chase upland birds:)!
So it all starts tomorrow as we are going to scout tomorrow evening & I am going to have my 20 gauge with me hope to get some ruffies :mrgreen:.
I will attempt to stay in touch :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3cad48y9 said:
I am going to have my 20 gauge with me hope to get some ruffies :mrgreen:.
I will attempt to stay in touch :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Now, ruffies can get me excited. I surely do love ruffed grouse. Interestingly enough, Noah prefers sharptail grouse and blue grouse. The rest of the family love ruffies.

...Dan, just remember, you see stories in the news about people surviving shark attacks, bear attacks, & even goose attacks. When's the last time you heard of anyone surviving a ruffed grouse attack???

...my point, exactly...

..."Shoot, shoot to kill, kill 'em all!!!, then dredge 'em, brown 'em, & roast 'em w/ mushroom gravy...

:roll: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

wildgene":38xv9vvw said:
..."Shoot, shoot to kill, kill 'em all!!!, then dredge 'em, brown 'em, & roast 'em w/ mushroom gravy...

Oh ya! Is there any other way?

JD338

Back