.284 175 gr Accubond LR

victorc

Beginner
Jul 2, 2006
Any idea when more .284 175 grain AccuBond Long range bullets will hit the shelves for reloading? I was fortunate enough to obtain a box of 100 a year ago but haven't been able to obtain any more since. I've developed sweet loads for the 7mm WSM and 7mm Ultra Mag and would like to load up and bunch to use them in the field.

No idea on how to answer your query, but I would be interested in what you worked up for a load in your 7mm WSM.

Last time I was at Sportsman's Warehouse I ask the guy in charge of the components about the 150 gr. ABLR's and he said it's been a bit over a year since they had any when they got two boxes. Guess who bought those two boxes? :mrgreen: 8) Now I need more. Haven't gotten them so shoot a decent group yet in either the .280 Rem. of 7x57. :?: :?: :?: Maybe Nosler is transitioning from 100 bullet boxes to 50 bullet boxes like they did with the Ballistic Tips. My 7x57 shot those well.
Paul B.

I worked up a load for a customer using 180 grain Berger Hybrids a couple of weeks back. They were shooting 0.25 inches for accuracy and giving me 2800+ fps velocity. I must believe that will be a bruiser for whatever the customer hunts with that load. The 175 grain ABLR will only be more of a good thing.

I have to use powders that people can easily obtain here, so I worked with H4831SC and IMR7828SSC. Had that been my rifle, I would have loaded with one of the Vhita Vuori double base powders (VN570 or VN560) or perhaps MagPro). However, these powders performed admirably, and didn't lose too much velocity. In fact, IMR7828SSC could competes pretty well with the slower powers I favour. All were loaded to 0.010 inches off the ogive. This was in one of the RMR built rifles. It definitely shot very nicely.

...what did that give you for a COAL, Dr. Mike, & any problems w/ fit or feeding???

wildgene":1oi9g0ea said:
...what did that give you for a COAL, Dr. Mike, & any problems w/ fit or feeding???

All cartridges were loaded to an OAL of 2.430 inches to the ogive (0.010 inches off the lands). I don't normally measure to the tip on my cartridges. This was 2.430 inches as measured with a Stony Point OAL gauge and a .284 insert.

...just trying to figger out how deep that 1.51" bullet would have to be seated to get to a nominal 2.86" COAL, how much case capacity it's going to take up, & if there's still room for 70grs. of new RL-26. Probably a moot point, since there's hardly any chance of seeing either the 175gr. ABLR's or RL-26 around here in my lifetime...

No problems with fit or feeding. The rifle was built (chambered) for the 180 grain Berger, and the magazine was extended to allow for fit. There was ample room in the case. Since I was using H4831SC, the maximum charge was 61 grains, so ample room. Max charge on the IMR 7828 SSC was 62 grains, so again, ample room to seat the bullet.

Winchester 7mm WSM brass. WLRM primer. 67.5 gr. H1000. 175 gr. Nosler Long Range AccuBond. COAL = 2.915. This is being fired out of a factory Winchester M70 Feather Weight. The stock is piller and glass bedded, and the factory trigger breaks at 2.5 lbs. The scope is a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x42mm with a fine duplex reticle. I've also installed a Vais Micro muzzle brake. From a concrete bench at 200 yards it shoots between 1" and 1.5" groups. I haven't run it through a chrony yet. Using a 180 grain Berger VLD Hunting bullet with the same charge as listed above produces a muzzle velocity of 2,950 fps at 4750 ft. elevation and temperature between 50 and 55 degrees. Average group size from a bench at 200 yards is 1.5". The only possible pressure signs is a little cratering on the primers. I have found the 7mm WSM and the .270 WSM to be two of the most enjoyable and accurate cartridges to work with.

That's great information Victor. Appreciate it a ton. Glad it seems to be working so well for you in the 7 WSM. I agree with you about the 270 and 7mm WSM's. They have been two of the easiest cartridges I have loaded for myself.

The 7 WSM is generating some impressive results.
Nice work fellas.

JD338

Back