30-06 180gr or 165 gr

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
I will be reloading again this Elk season for a Remington 700 30-06. Shots are going to be most likely only 350 yards or less. After looking at some stats, I am not sure if I should go with the 180 gr or 165 gr Partitions. From what I have recently read, it looks like the 165 gr Partition retains more energy at 200-300 than the 180 gr Partition?

I was also looking at the Sierra Gamekings or Hornadys? Anythought on these topics will be greatly appreciated?

By the way, a big Hi! to Scotty, Dr Mike, JD338 and "ALL" (man there is a big list of all you great hunting friends). Been super drowned and buried in work so now just gearing up for this years hunt.

Thanks
Steve

I like the 180 grain for elk, but there is little question that the 165 grain PT will work well on elk. Do your part, Steve, and the bullet won't let you down. I've used both Sierra GKs and Hornady ILs with good success. They are good bullets that fly straight and hit hard.

I don't know if you would be able to tell any difference between the 165 or 180 PT in the 30-06 Steve. I am a big PT fan. The others you mentioned will probably work fine, but for elk and my hunting time, I bet on the known, either an AB or PT... Good insurance for me. I drive a long way to hunt elk. I don't want a .25 cent bullet being the difference between success or failure.

Glad to see you buddy!

Steve,

Either one would work but I would lean towards the 180 gr PT. The extra weight has the advantage for deeper penetration if needed on a quartering shot.

JD338

JD338":wn385r9f said:
Steve,

Either one would work but I would lean towards the 180 gr PT. The extra weight has the advantage for deeper penetration if needed on a quartering shot.

JD338

+1

JD338":307fkvkd said:

I would agree with this as well. The 165gr should work great but the 180gr has better penetration potential.

SJB358":307fkvkd said:
Good insurance for me. I drive a long way to hunt elk. I don't want a .25 cent bullet being the difference between success or failure.

I have to show my friend this as he is driving me crazy wanting to shoot a C&C 130gr bullet from his .270Win for elk.

I have been using the 165 Partition for longer range deer hunting in the .300 H&H and .300 WSM for many years. They always caried the mail for me and DRT'ed deer like the hammer of Thor! The SD rating of .247 is not bad and I am sure would work on most elk just fine.

This is my best shooting hunting bullet in my Model 70 .30-06 as well. It has given me groups that I could not believe out to 300 yards, year in and year out. I have used both Partitions (165 and 180gr) with complete satisfaction but would probably prefer the 180 penetration for bulls.

I' m sold per the experts here! :mrgreen:

I am going to get 5 boxes of the 30-180 Partition (Over-Run) loads. Our new hunting camp buddy will apreciate your expert experience and input on them.

For my backup rifle this year's hunt I am going to take my wife's 7mm-08. (Yes she gave me her loving permission to do so :grin: ) I am going to work some 7mm-150 Partition Spitzer (Over-Run) loads.

I am still using my 338winmag with NAB 225s as my main rifle (she is still a virgin :( )

In case some don't know. SPS has some great deals on both these Partitions!!!!

Thanks all. I'll keep you posted on the loads.
Steve

Alittle late on this, but good choice on the 180 gr. PT's. They would be my first choice!

...ballistically speaking, using MV's from Nosler#6, out to say 400yds, it's pretty much a wash, the 165gr wiil have a little more velocity/ less energy/ less drop/ more wind drift, the 180gr. will have slightly less velocity/ more energy/ more drop/ less wind drift, but the difference in the real world is negligible. I've used 165's & 180's on elk, dead is dead, see what your rifle likes. My .300 WSM really likes the 165gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing, & they work very well on elk...

A superb choice on the 180s. I believe it will be a great elk killer for you.

If for some reason you can't get them to shoot, the 165 would do just fine, as would the AccuBond in either weight.

I have also never recovered a 295 grain 50 cal Powerbelt muzzleloader bullet out of a dead elk. But range on those is pretty limited, especially with iron sights.

Enjoy!

I have used either the 165 gr. Partition or now as of late the AccuBond in my 30-06 and have had excellent results. The Partition always performs, but I am very confident that the AccuBond will do a superb job also. My son took his cow this year with a 180 gr. AccuBond out of his 300 WSM at about 90-100 yards. It was recovered on the off-side after breaking ribs going in, hitting the spine pretty severely and then breaking the off-side shoulder bone. I'd say that was pretty good performance.

I would shoot the one that my rifle liked the best in the 165 and 180 gr. Partitions or Accubonds. Sounds like you have ordered up some Partitions and I don't think you will be disappointed in the least. Good luck. IMR 4350 has worked well for me in a couple 30-06 rifles.
David

wildgene":1liwjy5g said:
My .300 WSM really likes the 165gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing, & they work very well on elk...

Gene, you aren't the first person to say that. Have you ever recovered one of the Sierra's? They are said to be pretty tough bullets.

Steve, whichever shoots better for you is the one to use. Doubt you would have anyone questioning either with anykind of decent shot.

CC- Yeah, it is too funny to squabble over a few bucks on bullets. I spent 20X that in fuel to get there!

SJB358":7r19yyg7 said:
wildgene":7r19yyg7 said:
My .300 WSM really likes the 165gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing, & they work very well on elk...

Gene, you aren't the first person to say that. Have you ever recovered one of the Sierra's? They are said to be pretty tough bullets.

Steve, whichever shoots better for you is the one to use. Doubt you would have anyone questioning either with anykind of decent shot.

CC- Yeah, it is too funny to squabble over a few bucks on bullets. I spent 20X that in fuel to get there!

...no, but I've only shot one elk that wasn't standing broadside in the last 12yrs. (1 of 17 or 18, we can get addition cow/calf permits here) & it's hard to remember how many have been w/ the 165 HPBT GK, 3 or 4 anyways. I know this one was, loaded it myself, blew the elk right in two (if you look in the ribcage you can see the entry/ exit) @ 75yds :mrgreen: , & this buck dropped so hard @ 200yds he disappeared. I've shot a few deer/ antelope w/ the 120gr. .25 HPBT GK w/ similar results...

Attachments

• rockcrelk.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 1,777
  • 09 buck.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,777
  • landomesacow.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 1,777
Gene, all your pictures do is remind me of all the great DIY,non-resident,hunts that I have had to this terrific and challenging to hunt area of Wyoming which encompasses the mountains from Hoback to Cody (less Jackson Hole). I just wish that I had retired there instead. You are lucky to live where you live!

wildgene":24h0ozth said:
...no, but I've only shot one elk that wasn't standing broadside in the last 12yrs. (1 of 17 or 18, we can get addition cow/calf permits here) & it's hard to remember how many have been w/ the 165 HPBT GK, 3 or 4 anyways. I know this one was, loaded it myself, blew the elk right in two (if you look in the ribcage you can see the entry/ exit) @ 75yds :mrgreen: , & this buck dropped so hard @ 200yds he disappeared. I've shot a few deer/ antelope w/ the 120gr. .25 HPBT GK w/ similar results...

Yeah, that looks pretty danged good to me Gene. Never shot the first one of them. Barely shot much under the 180's in the 300's to be honest. I loaded some 165 AB's for my buddies 300WSM, those shot well, but I have always wanted to mess with the 165 GK's.

Back