30-06 load for deer in carbine with minimal flash and blast

EdK

Beginner
Mar 21, 2006
Looking for a specialty deer load for my 20" 30-06 that will be great on deer but not leave me blinded and with ears ringing so badly. The purpose is not to create a reduced recoil load. I have seen some of the light bullet/pistol powder loads and while they are interesting I don't see any reason to give up that much power. On the other hand it is clear that this application does not require all of the potential of a 30-06 so perhaps something like for example a 150grain AccuBond with a powder on the faster end of the spectrum is what I had in mind. This load is not intended to serve multiple purposes: just deer in the northeast woods at 0-150 yards typically - maybe a little further.

I'm relatively open to what others have come up with that has worked for them.

Thanks, Ed

I have a custom 30-06 with a 20" barrel. I am currently shooting 150 ABs using 54 grains of Varget. Muzzle velocity is 2850 FPS.

I would look at IMR4895, IMR4320, or IMR4064. These faster powders have starting loads that are sub 50.0 grs. Should get you where you want to be.

JD338

Another powder worth a look for your application is Reloder 15. Relatively Temperature stable, medium burn rate, good flash suppressant. Regards, Eagleye.

I can also recommend Varget and RL-15. I've had better success with Varget in the 30-06, but RL-15 did work well, just not quite as clean in my application.

Back