30-06 vs others??

Had a 338 WM, shot a B&C black bear with it. Abused my cranium on the bench to do it. Sold it. Good decision for me.

Two 7RM's in the safe that haven't been shot for many seasons now.

Used a 308 for a decade, bang flop was routine.

I moved to a 7/08 and it still remains my only 100% first shot, only shot killer after 15 yrs.

So, with all that said, I'm not going to jump on my soap box and preach the 7/08 is the do-all, kill-all rifle. A bigger bore Does have an advantage on bigger, tougher game animals. That's why I built a 338Fed.

I see the two as a sensible solution.

salmon chaser said:
I learned as a kid to take advantage of every tracking situation.
It boiled down to this from my perspective, no blood trail from the 25/06 vs a blood trail from the 338.
Certainly both elk would have died without the follow up but recovery would have been much more likely with a blood trail.
No I wouldn't feel under gunned with an 06, or similar cartridge for elk but based on my experience I think there is difference between a 250 gr. bullet smashing through those massive shoulders and a 180 gr. bullet or a 175gr. 7mm.
Necessary, no. Dead is dead. Deader is bedder. Sorry couldn't resist.

Two more excellent points at least from my perspective --and not only for tracking but, to get to your kill before the bears do. And remember both of my posts to this thread are from someone who used a 30-06 for everything for a couple of years and still use the 7wsm a lot----but I still like and agree with the points Dr Mike, and Don have made

...I'd hazard to guess there's a little more to the equation than just MV, things like sectional density, bullet construction & performance, retained energy, exterior & terminal ballistics all come into play when you begin a discussion on "hunting" bullets, but nuthin beats "shot placement". I'm all fer mo'dedder, & a firm believer in using the "biggest" bullet you can shoot well, but there's a good reason I prefer the .325 WSM to the .338 Win...

wildgene":z620fhe6 said:
...there's a good reason I prefer the .325 WSM to the .338 Win...

Uh, you're trying to help Scotty move up to a great cartridge? :eek:

I have no need or desire for the big boomers. The most hot rod cartridge I shoot is a 300 Win Mag, and its in a 15lb target rifle with a nice suppressor on it so it doesn't kick or make much noise.

Scotty has a 7mm Mashburn Super so he doesn't really need anything else no matter how close nor how far the elk is located. :)

With good bullets he is all set so long as he shoots it well.

Ask Warren Page and Bob Hagel.

Well, I just sold all my .338 brass and bullets. Probably keep the dies though. Just in case... ;)

So now, do I get this new barrel in 6.5-06, .280, 30-06, .264 WM, or 7mm RM? It's a savage, so switching bolt heads won't be an issue. My magazine limits me to 3.450", and I'd rather be nowhere near that to avoid banging up polymer-tipped bullets. Keep in mind that this is a Savage. In a BC Medalist. I'm thinking utilitarian, hunting, "beater" rifle. Not trying to turn it into a mile gun. I WOULD like to build a big 7 for that purpose someday, though...

jason miller":smgdy7o6 said:
Well, I just sold all my .338 brass and bullets. Probably keep the dies though. Just in case... ;)

So now, do I get this new barrel in 6.5-06, .280, 30-06, .264 WM, or 7mm RM? It's a savage, so switching bolt heads won't be an issue. My magazine limits me to 3.450", and I'd rather be nowhere near that to avoid banging up polymer-tipped bullets. Keep in mind that this is a Savage. In a BC Medalist. I'm thinking utilitarian, hunting, "beater" rifle. Not trying to turn it into a mile gun. I WOULD like to build a big 7 for that purpose someday, though...

My personal choice is always a 6.5mm something! I'd go with a 6.5-06! That sounds like a winning combo to me. I'm surprised, by now a major manufacturer hasn't legitimized the 6.5-06. Especially now that the 6.5 Creedmoor is as popular as it is, on top of the 6.5-.284!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

jason miller":2j36rksr said:

All are good choices. My affinity for the .338 Jarrett, 375 H&H, .45/70 and the .577 nitro express not withstanding, I'm intrigued by the 6.5 cartridge. My next hunting rifle will be a quarter bore or a 6.5. Because they are easy on the body and very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":gos740uy said:
jason miller":gos740uy said:

All are good choices. My affinity for the .338 Jarrett, 375 H&H, .45/70 and the .577 nitro express not withstanding, I'm intrigued by the 6.5 cartridge. My next hunting rifle will be a quarter bore or a 6.5. Because they are easy on the body and very effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 6.5mm cartridges are so eager to please, I think.
You have to step up to the big, big bores to get the same SD, and BC of a 6.5mm. They are amazingly flat shooting, and they dig deeper, and hit a lot harder than they show on paper.
I'm pleased as punch they're finally getting the attention they deserve.
Now, if the military picks a 6.5mm cartridge for their next battle rifle, it'll be even better!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Very interesting thread,

I do not believe that all cartridges are the same or that there is no advantage between the 30-06 and the .338.

All things being equal (which they very seldom are) bigger is generally better for elk. At least that is what I've heard more than one outfitter/guide say. And they would always throw in the same breath that "bullet placement" was more important. Usually, bullet construction comes in that conversation at some point. And I would add that bullet performance has a lot to do with it too. Maybe more so than bullet size.

A bigger surface area does promote a better opportunity to deliver available energy. There are some variables for sure but again, "everything being equal"............... Bigger bullets correctly placed will tend to deliver more energy which will help to convince that bull to give it up earlier.

The most important thing is putting a proper bullet in the proper place. After that requirement has been satisfied the value of a larger surface area with appreciable sectional density can be realized.

Just my take on it.

Call me a guy that loves the way the 338's and 358's hit animals. They seem to leave a mark :twisted:

I do like my 7mm MSM, WSM and 270 WSM as well. I think the bullets matter a lot more than the actual diameter of them these days.

SJB358":1rl592ve said:
Call me a guy that loves the way the 338's and 358's hit animals. They seem to leave a mark :twisted:

I do like my 7mm MSM, WSM and 270 WSM as well. I think the bullets matter a lot more than the actual diameter of them these days.

Next Fall a certain .340 wby suffed full of 7828 SSC with a 240 NF on top will be formerly introduced to a bull.

#dead turkey's don't talk

jason miller":qgikxsjh said:

Either the 30-06 or the .280....awesome!

Back