30-30 Magnum

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
All,

I'm looking for some help checking my logic with a load.

The wife is looking to hunt in earnest starting this fall. She did a few days last year and liked it (no luck), so I am looking to do up a custom load for her. My goal is to put something together that will impart maximum shock for a basic behind-the-shoulder shot. My plan is to load some 170 grain FP InterLock bullets (for 30-30) into .308 brass over ~40-41 grains RL-15. Shots will all be taken at ranges of 150 yards or less, and will be specifically limited to broadside or quartering away shots into the vitals (i.e. no major bone shots).

Her rifle:
Ruger Gunsite Scout
16.5" barrel
.308 Win

I haven't started yet, but my concerns are things like:
Will there be issues with feeding due to bullet shape?
Are there possible issues with how far it sits off the lands? (of course, no one could answer that without knowing the specific rifle, but it's on my mind)
Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

I put it to you learned gentlemen and ladies to offer any insights you may have.

And, of course, thank you all in advance.

All,

I'm looking for some help checking my logic with a load.

The wife is looking to hunt in earnest starting this fall. She did a few days last year and liked it (no luck), so I am looking to do up a custom load for her. My goal is to put something together that will impart maximum shock for a basic behind-the-shoulder shot. My plan is to load some 170 grain FP InterLock bullets (for 30-30) into .308 brass over ~40-41 grains RL-15. Shots will all be taken at ranges of 150 yards or less, and will be specifically limited to broadside or quartering away shots into the vitals (i.e. no major bone shots).

Her rifle:
Ruger Gunsite Scout
16.5" barrel
.308 Win

I haven't started yet, but my concerns are things like:
Will there be issues with feeding due to bullet shape? No
Are there possible issues with how far it sits off the lands? (of course, no one could answer that without knowing the specific rifle, but it's on my mind) Likely Not
Is there anything I'm not thinking of? Probably

I put it to you learned gentlemen and ladies to offer any insights you may have.

And, of course, thank you all in advance.
You should be fine.

at 40 grains and saami COAL it looks like 86.5% case fill and 2185 FPS @ 37857 PSI . about 11 ft lbs of recoil from a 8.5 lbs total rifle weight .
I'd probably load a few and shoot them to be sure you don't get any low pressure signs . like primers backing out , or low pressure case dents .

I'm with DR Mike , I feel you should be fine .

I know powder availability might be an issue... but Accurate 2495, H4895, or IMR4895 (in that order, in my opinion) would do better for downloading 308.

Not saying RL15 can't or won't do it... but as mentioned it will be flashy.

With the flat point and loaded to max box length the ogive should actually sit closer to the lands than with a Spitzer at the same OAL so on the jump it may be better.

If you have any or can find some the Nosler 125gr BT or AB along with the Sierra 125gr makes for a nice, reduced load bullet. H4895 works great for reduced loads. IMR 4895 close second. Dan.
Your thoughts are similar to mine...Lighter bullet=less recoil, and still kills great. Even a 150 NBT is still 20 grains lighter.

I have an old IMR reloading sheet that show 33.5 gr. of 4198 giving 2350 or so FPS. This is listed as max I have read that 30 gr. is a very nice load..
This is with a 180 gr. bullet. Should be just as nice with a 170.

I know a guy that his daughter hunts with a 308.......she's not a youngster anymore but initially he had downloaded some loads for her using conventional c&c bullets for that cartridge, I'm assuming 150 grain. They got tired of deer running off for her with those low speeds, sometimes quite far.

He came up with a load using 40 grains of IMR 4895 and a 170 FP. A combination she still uses today. Can handle the recoil just fine and he says the on game performance had been a huge improvement. Just rough figures on that load it should run around 2400.

I know a guy that his daughter hunts with a 308.......she's not a youngster anymore but initially he had downloaded some loads for her using conventional c&c bullets for that cartridge, I'm assuming 150 grain. They got tired of deer running off for her with those low speeds, sometimes quite far.

He came up with a load using 40 grains of IMR 4895 and a 170 FP. A combination she still uses today. Can handle the recoil just fine and he says the on game performance had been a huge improvement. Just rough figures on that load it should run around 2400.
Good stuff.
I know many people have killed a slew of deer with the 125 grain NBT out of a 14" Contender (Chambered in 30-30).
I can see why a traditional 150 grain bullet may not work as good, given the slower impact velocities.
I now have a 14" 30-30AI G-2, but I have not shot it yet. I will also use some 125 NBT's, and a Barnes bullet (think it is a 110 grain) designed for the Blackout

I've done quite a bit with low recoil loads in the .308.

I did heavy bullets (180s) using Trail Boss and light bullets (125s) with H4895. For deer, I believe the light bullets going faster...worked better.

I did not try the 150-170FP for the 30-30, but it should work fine since those bullets are made to work at those speeds.

Thank you all for the input. The idea was not to create a reduced recoil load, but rather to built something that would impart maximum shock on impact. I can see the appeal of using the 125gr pills for that.

So, my idea of using 40 grains of the RL-15 is based on the Hornday manual for .308 Win with 180 grain bullets with a max load of 41.4 grains. So, my logic was that 40 or 41 grains would be good for a 170 grain FP.

In any case, I will load some up and try them out of the rifle.

Again, thank you all.

Thank you all for the input. The idea was not to create a reduced recoil load, but rather to built something that would impart maximum shock on impact. I can see the appeal of using the 125gr pills for that.

So, my idea of using 40 grains of the RL-15 is based on the Hornday manual for .308 Win with 180 grain bullets with a max load of 41.4 grains. So, my logic was that 40 or 41 grains would be good for a 170 grain FP.

In any case, I will load some up and try them out of the rifle.

Again, thank you all.
Looking forward to your results with the 170 grain FP

Back