.300 Weatherby - 180, 190, or 200?

Everything has been checked multiple times for tightness and it is all torqued properly. Good article, one thing that I saw is a level rifle, mine is on a slight down angle because of where I shoot, but so is every other rifle that throws good groups. There is basically no horizontal string, the vert will be from 2-4" for 3 shots and today with 6 shots it was a solid 6", I should have saved the target. Part of me wants to put it in another stock, like a B&C Medalist, but another part of me can not figure out why I would need to put another stock on a $1000 rifle to make it shoot.

Does plain old factory ammo do the same thing? If it does, send it back to Weatherby and let them fix it, on their dollar. They guarantee 1.5, might as well hold them too it. Scotty

Then I would send it back to them. Get ahold of Jim, he has a good WBY fixer he can probably put you in contact with. They should be able to fix it and get rid of your frustration without costing you much more than shipping. Scotty

Hi there,
my .300 has been very tough to load, and I greatly prefer the .300 RUM. Having said that, which barrel do you have on the rifle? need to know the stock as well. Is it clean and are you letting it completely cool between shots? Likely, you are, but that is the first place to start. If the barrel is not a bull barrel, then floating the barrel is not recommended by WBY. I think that they like 35 inch pounds on the forward lug, and behind that there the forestock touches the barrel.

This is from their FAQ:
Screws for wood stocks have a torque specification of 35 inch pounds. Please note, however, that you should tighten the rear screw first and then the front screw.

If yours is a Fibermark® or an Accumark® stock, the torque specification is 55 inch pounds.
The correct assembly procedure is:

1. Tighten the rear trigger guard screw first to 30 inch pounds.
2. Align the barrel to the center of the barrel channel in the fore stock.
3. Tighten the front trigger guard screw to 30 inch pounds.
4. Tighten the rear screw to 50-55 inch pounds.
5. Finally, tighten the front trigger guard screw to 50-55 inch pounds.

Applying this method, using a torque screwdriver of the proper size, will insure the proper fit between the receiver, and custom aluminum bedding block, as well as the proper positioning of the barrel in the barrel channel. I use 84 gr of 7828, and my gun likes hotter loads as well. So far, I have not tried Retumbo, but it does not like 4831 (IMR or H) or H7828. BTW, I get about 0.5" on some groups and around 0.75" on most.
Hardpan

Hardpan, thanks for the post.

Weatherby factory barrel #3 contour I think? Stainless with the factory crapperware synthetic stock, no pillars or bedding block. I tightened the rear to 35in/lbs then the front to the same. I am letting the barrel cool 3-4mins between rounds.

Hi Heath,
Sound like you are doing everything right... Have you checked the scope and mounts? I broke Leupold mounts on my .300. I am not sure if 3-4 minutes is enough. Depends on the temp outside. Here, I am usually shooting in warm (60s and 70s) and have to wait around 20 minutes if I want a cool barrel. Since WBY guarantees 1.5" at 100, you likely should check with them. I know that is a pain, but they have been good to work with in the past for me. Also, I did have a 7mm wby that shot ok, and then when I replaced the stock, it became a great shooter. Last, 1.5" is not that close a group for me. But it sounds like something is definitely wrong and we have not solved the issue yet.

I had a custom gun where I spent around $4000 and played the devil trying to get it to shoot. but 6 inches is crazy...

Best of luck,
Hardpan

Hardpan, outside temp was 30-40 degrees during tests, so it cooled quickly, 3-4 mins was cold to the touch. Scope rings and mounts were checked with a torque wrench before this party got started.

What stock did you put on your Weatherby?

beretzs":2hfddib1 said:
Then I would send it back to them. Get ahold of Jim, he has a good WBY fixer he can probably put you in contact with. They should be able to fix it and get rid of your frustration without costing you much more than shipping. Scotty

Heath,

Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI is an authorized Weatherby dealer.
Call Rob Canze at 810 653 2131 and explain the problem. Rob is is expert, he built my 280 AI, and 2 buddies rifles and all shoot sub 1/4 MOA.
Rob will take good care of you.

JD338

Heath,
Have you thought about trying another scope? Scopes will go bad. When you change out the scope, that will give you a good opportunity to check the base screws. What scope, and rings and bases are you using?

Steve

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your project. You have been given lots of good advice. I know how frustrating these things can be. BTDT! :?

Steve

Back