.300 weatherby 180 accubond - long range

Feb 18, 2011
Going to be getting into some long range 'dial in shooting" this spring and summer with my .300 weatherby. I want to use 180 nosler accubonds but in the nosler manual, the max load is still trailing the weatherby factory load. With cost not a factor, should i just go with the factory loads (assuming they shoot well enough for long range) or should I go the reloading route and loose 50-75 fps.

BTW, when I say long range, out to 800 yards paper punching/ gong shooting, not ready for doing that type of shooting on deer/elk yet.

IMR 7828 or RL 25 will get you the closest. About 3200-3250 fps.

ITH,

Keep in mind that most manufactures "cook the books" with their data. Unless you verify with a chronograph, you won't really know your actual MV.
I would work up a load based on accuracy and not just speed. You can always dial in once you know the exact yardage to the target with a drop chart.

JD338

I agree with JD,
I would clock that factory load with a chronograph to verify and not just assume the published factory data is what you are actually getting. You might be surprised what you could get working up loads. Is that a Weatherby Rifle you have or a different manufacturer in 300 Weatherby caliber.
Keep in mind the barrel length also with published Factory Data.

Don

If you're going to be spinning turrets, you're not going to be concerned with 100fps. It's just a few more clicks. I'd find the most accurate load you can find, using the powders recommended or H1000 if you have it, and work with seating depth to tweak for maximum accuracy. Beyond that, a lot of shooting at distance will make things better over time. There's a huge jump in difficulty from 200-300yds, and beyond that, up to about 550yds, it gets exponentially harder, and then becomes a little more linear out from about 600-1000, in my opinion. Of course, I can't shoot for crap out past about 500 right now, as I haven't had a range to practice that far up until recently, so maybe it's just that I stink so bad out past 500yds that it all feels the same? Who knows?

Good luck. We're working on some longer range practice around here, if I can ever get time to go to the range...

I don't normally shoot past 400 yards, but my 300 Wby load shoots under M.O.A. at 3200+ with the 180 AB. RL-25, Remington brass, CCI250 primers, 26 inch barrel. For targets I would use a 6.5-284 to keep from burning up tons of powder with gobs of recoil that the 300 Wby gives. For elk, my load gets it done at normal hunting ranges!

You all make great points and at this point think I may try some reloading for accuracy first...Kind of got an itch...BTW my rifle is a Weatherby Accumark with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 bdc, and in my rifle the weatherby factory ammo on my F1 chrony averages a touch over 3250 fps.

Just a suggestion, but if long range is your goal, I'd take a long look at the 200 grain Accubonds. That's what I'm going to try in my RUM (if I ever get home long enough to work up loads).

Idahotrophyhunter":30ui8ldc said:
You all make great points and at this point think I may try some reloading for accuracy first...Kind of got an itch...BTW my rifle is a Weatherby Accumark with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50 bdc, and in my rifle the weatherby factory ammo on my F1 chrony averages a touch over 3250 fps.
good call you can always adjust a bit moe for drop, but you can't adjust accuracy during your shooting. If the time comes you hafta have less drop just switch to an accurate higher BC bullet.
RR

I load the .300 wby as well. Factory loads from WBY are very hot, but show no signs of pressure. Best groups for me come with imr 7828, 180 gr AB, and Fed primers. That gun can be quite fickle...
best of luck,
hardpan

once you get your accuracy down and your standard deviation low with your chronograph and a ballistic chart made it is not going to matter what the velocity is, your going to apply the dope to the turrets anyway so if you have to dial 23 moa to get to 1k rather than 21 you wont know the difference anyway. am curious how accurate your bdc reticle is at 500.

Agreed as BK stated, take a good look at the 200 AccuBond Bullet. It's got the BC to perform better at longer ranges.

Don

BK":35y5btjo said:
Just a suggestion, but if long range is your goal, I'd take a long look at the 200 grain Accubonds. That's what I'm going to try in my RUM (if I ever get home long enough to work up loads).

+1

Back