300 Win Mag / 200 Accubond test (after neck turning)

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Did a ladder in one grain increments for the neck turned Lapua brass
74 gr - 2874 fps
75 gr - 2931 fps
76 gr - 2970 fps
77 gr - 2996 fps
Book max is 78 gr and have not pushed hard, this is just a test to see if pressure and speed have came back down to normal compared to the tight necks on recent test.
Recent test before neck turning:
77.0 grains / 3041, 3075, 3068 fps
77.4 grains / 3052, 3018, 3061 fps
77.8 grains / 3096, 3025, stopped shooting
78.2 grains N/A
In the first picture, with Lapua , 74 gr was the center shot, 75, 76 and 77 grains stacked up on the right. It's an improvement from last test which gave me 1.25 - 1.5 inch groups. I'm impressed with results, and putting the 1X fired Lapua batch on the burner for now. I'm going to be using the Normas and have 12 virgin pieces left out of 40.
Tested the Normas virgin brass after skimming .0005" to clean up the necks, 3 shot groups:
76.4 gr - 2,923 fps ave
76.7 gr - 2,944 fps ave
77.0 gr - 2,957 fps ave
Not pushing it since 78 grains is book max.
In the 2nd picture is the 76.4 gr 3 shot group , and last picture is the 77 grain load. I'm impressed.
I'm happy with the results. Once all brass is fireformed and I'll tweak the loads. The 200 AccuBond rocks.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 17
  • test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 15
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 15
Looking good to me! What was the accuracy from the same loads out of unturned Norma brass?

Looking good to me! What was the accuracy from the same loads out of unturned Norma brass?
I was getting some verticals that I did not like, and I changed the seating depth to another .010"
The 2nd pic is the unturned Norma 76.4 gr 3 shot group and the 3rd pic is the same 3 shot load but .0005" turned.
After fireforming, I may increase to 78 grains or a little more because I'm curious. ;)

Attachments

• norma.jpg
    norma.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 76.4.JPG
    76.4.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 8
  • test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I’m confused….shocking right? You’re last post, 2nd pic “unturned Norma 76.4 gr 3 shot group” looks exactly like your first post “
I was getting some verticals that I did not like, and I changed the seating depth to another .010"
The 2nd pic is the unturned Norma 76.4 gr 3 shot group and the 3rd pic is the same 3 shot load but .0005" turned.
After fireforming, I may increase to 78 grains or a little more because I'm curious. ;)
I’m confused….shocking right? You’re last post, 2nd pic “unturned Norma 76.4 gr 3 shot group” looks exactly like your first post “In the first picture, with Lapua , 74 gr was the center shot, 75, 76 and 77 grains stacked up on the right.” Which if I’m following was turned Lapua brass?
Did you compare the same load in Norma brass with turned vs unturned necks?

I’m confused….shocking right? You’re last post, 2nd pic “unturned Norma 76.4 gr 3 shot group” looks exactly like your first post “

I’m confused….shocking right? You’re last post, 2nd pic “unturned Norma 76.4 gr 3 shot group” looks exactly like your first post “In the first picture, with Lapua , 74 gr was the center shot, 75, 76 and 77 grains stacked up on the right.” Which if I’m following was turned Lapua brass?
Did you compare the same load in Norma brass with turned vs unturned necks?
I turned two different brass, the Lapua was turned .0015" per side, and the Norma virgin brass afterwards which was turned .0005" per side to clean up necks.
The Lapua I shot today was in 1 grain increments which is a ladder to see if I won't get any more pressure. One shot each charge of 74, 75, 76 and 77. I sent the wrong picture, I did mistakenly post in the post where you asked me how my accuracy was, I indeed clicked the wrong picture. The picture i am sending in this post is the Norma brass before I turned .0005" off. I have not tested the Lapua with 3 shot groups today. Only the Normas as described in the first post. I do see an improvement after I turned the necks to clean it up. I will have to test the Lapuas later with 3 round charges, but I'm not at this time. I did mention that I'll be saving the Lapuas to use at a later time but will be using the Normas for now. The Lapuas that I shot today in 1 grain increments is the first picture in the first post. ( 74,75,76 and 77 )

Attachments

• firstest.jpg
    firstest.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 10
  • norma1.JPG
    norma1.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
OK, yeah…I was mostly wondering what the difference in accuracy was between the turned and unturned Norma.

Just send me a roundtrip airfare and a 3 day guided hunt up there. ;)
Kidding aside, if we lived closer together, I would swing by and help ya out. Same goes with anyone on this forum if needing help.
I know.
I was just messing with you

Got the coffee and broke out the half box of virgin Lapua brass for the 300 Mag, felt like neck turning the remaining before I disassemble the turner to store them. It's already adjusted from the previous neck turn, so why not. ;) Not sure if I should shave .001" off the Creedmoor and the 6.5 x 284, they still have .002" neck clearance, but don't have pressure signs or erratic speeds. They still shoot so damn good to mess with it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

JD338
You are right, I am confident on leaving my current brass alone, but in the future when opening a new box of Nosler brass, if it still measures .002" clearance I may want to shave .0005"- .001" to make it .003" - .004" clearance before the first firing.

Is it true that after so many firings, let's say 10-12 firings, does the brass flow towards the shoulders / case necks?

Good question. If it does, is it from firing or resizing (drawing the case over the expander and the case is withdrawn from the die).

JD338

Back