300 Win Mag

jbomar

Beginner
Oct 14, 2004
The short neck of a 300 Win Mag shell presents some less than desirable measurements with regards to bullet seating depth.....If 3.340" is the magic overall length of this load....that gets most bullets seated well below the bottom of the neck and even below the shoulder.....how bad is this on accuracy, ballistics, etc??

Nosler Reloading Guide 5th ed says the 180 gn protected point is specifically designed for the 300 Win Mag but when I do the math she's setting just below the shoulder at 3.340" o.a.l.

Advice?

I've had three 300 wins. I've never been stuck with the SAAMI minimum COA length. I use the regular 180 Partition seated to the base of the neck at about 3.6. If your magazine lets you and your not into your lands, who cares about the OAL and supposed short neck. I think your shorter magazine boxs are the converted military rifles like a m98.

I think Rogue6 is correct. All the reloading manuals go by SAAMI because the shooting industry saw (correctly) a need for a standard so that everyone has a specific point of reference etc... I have rarely seen a modern rifle that you could not seat the bullet longer than SAAMI and have better accuracy although I would never allow my bullets to touch the lands.

Long

Back