300gr Speer - 45-70

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Here are some pictures of the magnificent Speer 300gr 45-70 bullet. I can't say enough good about this bullet guys. It really is a true sleeper for us 450 Marlin and 45-70 shooters. It is probably just about the least expensive .458 "premium" bullet around. It costs around $22 for 50 of them and they are a bargain in my eyes. This bullet weighs 263gr's. It comes out of the muzzle of my 45-70 around 2300 FPS. I wished I had the group that was shot with these last weekend, but I would guess 3 shots would be covered with a nickel and easily by a quarter. They are just a great bullet and in lieu of Nosler every putting out a proper 45-70 bullet that will hold up to higher speeds and bones, this bullet will! I have seen a few others recovered from game the size of elk (pictures) and they look about the same. I have enough loaded up right now to carry me through deer season I believe, but I wouldn't expect to ever recover one of them in a deer. I think it would take a full end to end shot to even dream of catching one. They expand really nicely and it seems like the lead is bonded to the jacket pretty well. Again, I am very impressed with them. Oh, I forgot to mention, this was found on the table between the 6th and 7th jug. Scotty

Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/4oRFyyqz0a0

That Speer .458 300 gr is a tough bullet.

JD338

JD338":asoqv9b4 said:
That Speer .458 300 gr is a tough bullet.

JD338

Jim, check out the video I just put up there. It moves some jugs. Scotty

Some guys have shot moose with them and were quite happy now we know why. Looks like Speer built themselves a great bullet there, thanks for sharing your results Scotty. Just had a thought could you imagine what a 400 gr UniCor bullet would do?

gerry":5qqcobuu said:
Some guys have shot moose with them and were quite happy now we know why. Looks like Speer built themselves a great bullet there, thanks for sharing your results Scotty. Just had a thought could you imagine what a 400 gr UniCor bullet would do?

Gerry, I would have no issues tackling moose or elk with this bullet. Speers 350 is supposed to be a tough bullet as well. A 400gr UniCor would be a beast. Probably make good bear rounds at around 1900. Scotty

CatskillCrawler":7ylrqyle said:
Has Speer released, or plan to, a Deep Curl version for anything in .458?

Not that I know of. I kinda hope they don't change anything about that bullet. I'm not sure they would gain too awfully much anyhow. Scotty

I thought this bullet is made exactly the same way as the Deep Curl bullets so any changes would be in name only to create a line up of bullets

gerry":3klgyk6b said:
I thought this bullet is made exactly the same way as the Deep Curl bullets so any changes would be in name only to create a line up of bullets

Could be? I think it is the same exact bullet used in Federal Fusion loads which are supposed to be the same as Deep Curls. Again, this is all here say and such. I really haven't seen anything written solidly down. Scotty

The only difference I am aware of is the Fusion is a boat tail and the Deep Curl is a flat base. Could be wrong though it has happened before :)

Could be? Again, you could hold what I know in the palm of a babies hand! :lol: I do know I like this Speer and will order a bunch of them the next time I can. They are good for the 45-70. Scotty

Yup the 350 Speer is made with the 458 Win mag in mind.

Scotty what was retained weight man?

It weighs 263gr's Fotis. It is an impressive bullet. I hear some folks say it is actually tougher than the 350 being that it is more of a bonded bullet. Either way, I would bet it would work great on just about anything most would use a 45-70 for. Scotty

Good information, Scotty. That is, indeed, a tough bullet. It would do very well on large North American game.

Impressive for sure. If you tried that with a 300 gr Hornady it would have been in pieces. They have to be doing something to these suckers.

DrMike":32qqn3x5 said:
Good information, Scotty. That is, indeed, a tough bullet. It would do very well on large North American game.

It would be a sweet bullet for you to start with in your 1886 45-70 Mike! Heck, I even have plenty of load data to get you started out! Scotty

Winchester cases, CCIBR2's, 59grs of H4198 and the 300gr Speer. Crimp with the Lee FCD. Runs about 2300 outta my rifle. Scotty

beretzs":18etqzae said:
DrMike":18etqzae said:

It would be a sweet bullet for you to start with in your 1886 45-70 Mike! Heck, I even have plenty of load data to get you started out! Scotty

Mike,

When you get your 1895 45-70, you can do a bullet test on a moose. :mrgreen:

JD338

Scotty, I am using the Speer Hot Cor jacketed bullets as well but I have the 350 gr flat nosed bullets for my .45-70 at about 2150 fps with IMR 3031. Lots of horsepower there.

Back