.338 win.mag.Bullets

Lucas

Beginner
Jan 17, 2011
I use my .338 win. mag for everything, I've used 210 PT in the past for elk,cariboi,moose and it worked great. I went to the 180 AC Bond 3 years ago because of it's trajectory for mule deer and it has worked great, but I have not had the chance to hunt elk til this year 2011, will the 180 gr. AC Bond preform or should I go back to the 210 PT? I like to shoot just one load. :grin: :?

If a 180 grain AB at 2950 from a 300 WSM will anchor elk, I can't imagine that a 180 grain AB at 3150 from a 338 WM would somehow be insufficient.

Lucas,

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here.

The 338 180 gr AB will work but a heavier bullet with a higher Selectional Density will give you more penetration. For bigger game like elk and moose, I think the 210 gr PT is an excellent choice and tough to beat in the 338 Win Mag.

JD338

I took my first bull with a 185 XCL out of a 338 WM. He dropped in his tracks @ 250 yards. I would think that the 180 AB would work great as well. JD has a point with the heavier bullets penitrating more, but I would think that a 180 AB would still go plenty deep.

It sounds like you hunt mule deer more often than elk and you like to stick with one load the 180 AccuBond will be your best choice. 300 Wins and Wbys with 180 gr. bullets at the same velocity has never been considered under powered for elk. If I had a designated elk rifle in 338 I would use the 225 gr. Accubonds.

Another thing to keep in mind is BC. The 308 180 gr AB has a BC of of .507 and the 338 180 gr AB has a BC of .372.
The 308 180 gr AB from a 300 Win Mag at 2950 fps will pass up a 180 gr AB in a 338 Win Mag at 3100 fps at the 250 yd mark. The higher BC bullet will carry move velocity and retained energy down range.

FWIW, the 338 210 gr PT has a BC of .400. Its a much better choice for elk. :wink:

JD338

DrMike":3rt1nx9n said:
But I like to give elk a fighting chance!

Mike,

Where elk live is a fighting chance. I like to smack them hard, thats why I use a 338 RUM. :mrgreen:

JD338

Jim,

I concede that a love crazed bull elk must surely qualify as one of the toughest of all God's creatures to kill. They just have a desire to pursue their own interests. Truthfully, I've seen them take an amazing amount of punishment and still try to gather their harem.

As usual, I agree with JD338, but I like to go one better. My favorite elk load for my 338 Win Mag uses the 225 grain Partition. It works, period. I am just not convinced that the AccuBond is the way to go. I MUCH prefer the Partition.

I have a friend in New Mexico that shot a cow elk last year with a 300 WSM using the AccuBond and he was terribly dissapointed. One whole side of that cow was virtually useless and he shot it for the meat after all.

I too shoot 338 Win Mag, and love it!
My favourites are.....
210 NP
250 NP
225 swift a frame
225 tbbc
225 barnes.tsx
225 sst

They all shoot sub moa at 100yds...I love the 225 A Bond, but they don't group well outta my rifle....pick one that shoot the best out of your rifle, and you can't go wrong :grin: BTW, i don't reload, only shoot factory ammo...hope this helps.....Lou :wink:
They all hit hard :!:

If you are looking for a one bullet combo for everything the 210 PR, 200 ET, and the 225 Ab are all very good bullets. I am working on the 225 AB on mine. It just seems to be the "right" everything bullet for the 338 WM.

The 338 225 AB has good weight at a decent velocity from the 338 Win Mag and with a .550 BC, it is an excellent long range hammer for elk.

JD338

This might sound a little crazy, but my plan is to get a load with the 250gr PT over 2700 in my 338WM and call it a day. I know the 225's fly a little flatter, but I just think the 338WM with a 250gr bullet is classic. With the Leupold 2.5x8 B&C shooting to 500 is pretty reasonable and it really carries the mail out there also. Plus, I just have to think that bullet will penetrate really well on anything. My 338WM would be the rifle I used for Grizzly or Brown Bear if I ever get the chance, so I am building my load with that in mind. Overall though, it is really hard to beat the versatility of the 338WM for everything. Scotty

I agree with Scotty...for the big stuff, you can't beat it!..as for Deer goes, BT's or hornady sst's is all you need. Each bullet has its purpose, i've seen it happen before...the most important part of any hunt is your ammo, as for me, i like to do all my hunting before i squezze the trigger :wink: ...good luck on your choice...Lou :twisted:

Don't under estimate the heavy weight Nosler bullets, they work very well on deer.
I shot a big 9 pt a few years back with a 250 gr PT from my 338 RUM. The most spectactular kill I have ever witnessed!

I was testing the 338 250 gr AB when it was introduced 2 years ago and took this little spike, dropped him in his tracks and he never moved. This was the exit wound.
Spike111608a.jpg

The heavy bullets don't do a lot of destruction to the meat but they toast the vitals.

JD338

Guys, don't toast me for this but Look at the Sierra catalog. They just came out for sale to the public their 225 Grain pro hunter .338 bullet. This is the bullet I have used on occasion to take elk. I can tell you out of my .338RUM it is bang flop. I was able to retreive this bullet from the last Elk I shot and after going through roughly two feet of elk I found it under the skin on the far side. Perfect mushroom and retained weight was 84 percent. The Elk never did move after the shot. This is one solid bullet.

Sierra bullets have always treated me well. Did you want to be well-done? Or lightly browned? :lol:

Actually Doc, after living in Florida for 20 years I'm allready slightly browned. :lol: I've been taking a beating this week between hunting underwear and bullets. :lol: But to be honest, this forum does come up with great answers to the many questions posed.

Back