33WCF

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
35 Whelen, it was kind of spooky that you brought up the 33, as my grandfather bought one recently. a 33 WCF Takedown. He says it is in excellent cond. He leaves the north every fall and don't return until spring, so I will see it in a few months. I doubt if I will use it, but a friend has told me that woodleigh still makes bullets for it and out to 100 yards, it is fairly efficient.

I would be interested in knowing the opinion of others about this old round however, does anyone here still hunt with one, or ever did? would you ?

5shot":2yc9s1b4 said:
Is it an 86?

yes, he said from the early 1930's but not sure how he knows this, maybe a serial number research or maybe they marked the year back then---only Dr Mike would be old enough to remember when they were being manufactured LOL I may need some help here after Dr Mike's rebuttal in regards to my "youth" and/or "mouth"

Finding ammunition for a 33 WCF will be problematic. Finding jacketed bullets will be difficult. It is, nonetheless, a fascinating cartridge if only because of its story in the development of American cartridges. Hornady 9th Edition still lists the cartridge, but notes that the 200 grain FN has been long discontinued. A charge of 45.1 grains of H4895 would propel that particular bullet to 2200 fps, which gave it a trajectory that would give reasonable accuracy out to slightly more than 150 yards. The 33 WCF and the Model 86 was superceded by the 348 Win and the Model 71. Winchester/Olin hasn't loaded ammunition for this particular cartridge for almost 75 years.

Now, Cheyenne, I'm not that old, my dear. I may be near the age to recall when new 33 WCFs (both in Model 86s and 85s and in Marlin 95s) were gracing the shelves of gun stores, but the cartridge and firing platforms preceded me by a few years. Farbeit from me to take advantage of a callow youth such as yourself or even to castigate you for disrespect of my advanced years. My sainted daddy raised me to treat a woman with respect; and I shall respect my upbringing.

yukon huntress":1dhpjak8 said:
5shot":1dhpjak8 said:
Is it an 86?

yes, he said from the early 1930's but not sure how he knows this, maybe a serial number research or maybe they marked the year back then---only Dr Mike would be old enough to remember when they were being manufactured LOL I may need some help here after Dr Mike's rebuttal in regards to my "youth" and/or "mouth"

My dad's is an '86, but I don't recall if his is a take down model. They are beautiful.

let your grandfather play with the 33 and you continue to use the 348, the 348 will serve you much better in the area in which you live. If it is in good condition it is a nice addition to anyones Winchester collection, but not ones best choice for a hunting caliber in todays world. Having said that I believe it is a notch up from the 30/30, and if I remember correctly and the old 30/30 accounted for a few successful hunts in its time.

As to your reference to age and since I am even older than Dr Mike and definitely not as polite as he is, I will only say that Dr Mike and I have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, and wore it out, you have not even gotten to the buying the t shirt stage of your life . I was going to refer to you as a whippersnapper, but I am not even sure people your age would know the word

Europe":3t1qmpkh said:
As to your reference to age and since I am even older than Dr Mike and definitely not as polite as he is, I will only say that Dr Mike and I have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, and wore it out, you have not even gotten to the buying the t shirt stage of your life . I was going to refer to you as a whippersnapper, but I am not even sure people your age would know the word

BINGO! Rotten kids can't even respect their elders. Why, when I was a young'un... :shock:

Cheyenne,
The 1886 was very popular here in Maine when I was a kid
The older guides raved about them, the ,45/70 was even more popular.though it doesn't shoot as flat. I know I have
Still got some cartridges for them as I had one up until about 5 years ago. I may still have dies and some flat tiped
Bullets as well. Keep me posted if any of that would help him , I live right on the border with New Brunswick so
.......... Enough said.

35 Whelen":136dmgnk said:
Cheyenne,
The 1886 was very popular here in Maine when I was a kid
The older guides raved about them, the "extra light "was the model of choice, and takedowns preferred as lots of guides had leather sleaves ,that went right into an Ash packbasket,so you could carry the gun broke down. The ,45/70 was even more popular.though it doesn't shoot as flat. I still have a beauty here that is factory engraved by the Ulrich's, with Winchesters "silver washed" received. I know I have Still got some cartridges for a 33 W, as I had one in a 1895 Marlin up until about 5 years ago. I may still have dies ?and some 200 gr flat tiped Bullets as well. Keep me posted if any of that would help him , I live right on the border of New Brunswick so
.......... Enough said.

Cheyenne,

That is a very cool rifle and round. Ammunition is scarce at best but I think you might
be able to form 33 WCF brass from 45-70 brass. If you use hard cast lead, you would never
have to worry about getting ammo.

JD338

Here are some cool pictures of the 33 Winchester for comparison.

Winchesters first .33 caliber and to that I bow my head :grin:

35 Whelen, thank you so very much, I will certainly give this information to my grandfather and we clearly understand the "enough said", thank you

Scotty, thank you, cool picture. do you own an 1886 in the 33 also and if so do you hunt with it and what and where. I keep hearing it will work well if under 100 yards on game up to Moose ?

Jim, thank you, Woodleigh makes a 200 grain FN bullet specifically for the 33, so the bullet part is easy. My grandfather actually likes working on things like making the brass. I prefer to spend my time in the field.

Probably one of those things where if one is young enough to hunt , they do and those who are older like my grandfather and a couple other people I know, need to stay in a warm room and close to the Ben Gay ( so nobody gets upset here--this is directed specifically at my friends Dr Mike and April and I am just joking with them)

Cheyenne,

Thanks for the clarification, I'm glad I am not on that short list of yours...........yet. :)

Is your grandfather making 33 WCF brass from the good 'ol 45-70?

JD338

Yeah, but I don't use Bengay. Voltaren--yes. Rub-A535--okay. I don't like the smell of Bengay. I wouldn't expect a pup to know these things. As for sitting in a warm room--that's why we have children and grandchildren to hunt for us. (y)

I don't think the Woodleigh 200 grainer is a flat nose. You must resign yourself to a two-shot rifle if you follow strict tubular magazine protocol.

Yes Jim, that is what he told me anyway

Dr Mike, I honestly don't know this but again he told me that woodleigh makes flat nose bullets for the 30/30, 33, 348, 444, 45/70, and something called the 50/110-450 Winchester, which to be honest I had never heard of. I have a feeling it was one of those calibers my grandfather, you and april used to hunt buffalo, so as to feed the railroad workers--Dr Mike, as per our conversation, is your wife reading these posts and laughing

Feed the railway workers! :shock: No way, fed the family. 8) Yeah, my good lady had a big smile on her face as we dined and talked this evening. :grin:

Well, I stand corrected. Woodleigh does make a 200 grain FN. Just goes to show that old dogs don't know everything. Hmmmm. Maybe I could learn a new trick after all! :grin:

The 33 WCF is certainly an interesting old cartridge. I have no doubt it will serve well in the Yukon today, just as it did at the turn of the last century.

Cheyenne,
As long as you dont mind the headstamp being 45/70 Jim is spot on it is no problem making all the brass you want, there is also someone making cheap 200gr bullets for them but I cant remember the source. I have restored lots of 33 rifles over the years, and have a 33 TD front end here now that needs to be rerust blued, it is part of a two barrel set! The fella that owns it has had me do atleast a dozen or so of them in the last 20 years, all Model 1895 Marlins, he is the 33W guru, so I can easily find out Were all the stuff is on them as he wheels and deals in 33 ammo! I had a hunter take a 300lb Black Bear with us 4 years ago with his Dads 33W that had not been fired for over 30 years, near as he could figure, He folded the bear up like a cheap suit with one shot from that old 86.....
The 33W I had , I shot a few deer with them, but got interested in 35W / 405's and those are a step up for sure!
A guide buddy of mine from Petersburg Alaska used a 33W for years , he had some load that he used that approached .348 sorta performance, he hammered many moose and bears with it backing up clients and swore by it! In the 1990s he did buy a 348 Model 71 Deluxe , long tang with a riding bolt peep! He says that works very nicely and has since retired the beloved 33W.
When I was there in Petersburg, goat huntin with him, a couple years ago I noticed a cute little Browning BLR in .358W in the corner , so I broached the question one evening, over a couple of "Yukon Jacks", what his plans were for it? He says it is going to be his old Age gun, when the 71 gets too heavy for him to lug...... he is 70 years old now, but as tough as a boiled owl, so that may be a while! Scotty, classy display of a grand old cartridge!
E
PS, I heard a rumor on here That when Mike first moved to BC the Caribou Mts were still just a Cedar Swamp! :wink:

35 Whelen":1msegm2o said:
I heard a rumor on here That when Mike first moved to BC the Caribou Mts were still just a Cedar Swamp! :wink:

I've tried to keep that story out of the public, Earle. Thanks! (Couldn't find the sarcasm font.) :mrgreen:

Back