.340 powders

skidmark

Beginner
Oct 27, 2013
New to the Forum good looking site.
As I get older I am more willing to try new things
and was wonder what results others have had using
powders other than RE22 and 7828 in their .340s.
I only load .250s and always have had good performance
just thinking about different powders.

Skidmark,

Welcome aboard. We're always glad to welcome others who come to share their experience and insight. We are all learn together, here. I don't shoot the .340, so I won't be much help in the line of practical experience. There are a number of forum members who do shoot, or who have shot, the .340, however. I'm certain they'll be along eventually. In the interim, I'd invite you to wander over to the thread on new members (http://www.noslerreloading.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22761&start=75). Posting some information about yourself will give others a chance to get to know you. Again, welcome aboard.

My Wby. 340 liked IMR7828 under the 250 and 210 gr. Nosler Partition bullets. Most loads settled into 4" or less at 300 yards, making this caliber truely a long-ranger thumper!

Mine is also a7828 lover. But my gun has a huge affinity for 250 grain bullets. It loves hornady 250 spire points, 250 partitions and kinda liked 250 accubonds...but that was w/loose scope mts so i'm expecting really good things out of the AB's next time. About 86-88 grains were Max depending on brass in my gun.

I always got my best groups with 82gr of 22 or 84gr of 7828 @ 3.660 which most folks would call conservative. Partitions with its flat open base also seemed to leave more copper fouling than the SGK's although they too shot well. I have had good brass life also at these chg weights. The gun is a MKV.I have Talleys on mine with a heavy Leupold and have not had any mounting issues. Although the sear adjustment has backed off a time or two.

I also have a 340 but can't be of any help with your question as RL-22 and 7828 is what I run in mine. RL-22 with 225 TTSX and 7828 for spire points and accubonds in the 250's.

Back