35 Whelen 225 Sierra H4895

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
A couple of loads I was monkeying with in my Whelen. Pretty easy combo to get to shoot..

Speeds are pretty decent as well.

I think I'll shorten them a little to see if it'll shrink up and maybe swap for a Partition. Not sure yet. This is just sorta my deer load and I can't see that Sierra not putting the hurt on any deer. It's quite a bit of mass.

Have any of you taken animals with it?

They are short and fat. That looks like it will work Scotty.
I used H4895 and 200gr Hornady SP to fire form my 35/AI cases and they would shoot tiny groups.
It sort of spiffed me because the bullet isn't very strong for the velocity I was pushing them.
I did try the 225gr Sierra but they didn't work well for me.

Yeah, I can see myself using a load with that degree of accuracy.

Scotty, I can't speak for the 35 cal. 225 gr. Sierra's. For years I did use the 30 cal. 200 SBT in my 30-06 Sprg. and on game they worked much better than what's on paper. In my Whelen I ended up using the Barnes 225 FB TSX FWTW.

Scotty looks like you are getting it to come together. I would think on deer and even elk at those speeds that the Sierra's would work just fine.

Looks pretty good, the Sierra should do quite well for most game. Need to try it on game some day myself.

I doubt I'd use the Sierra on much more than deer or black bear to be totally fair. I am sure it is a great bullet, but elk hunting bullets usually start with Partitions of Accubonds around here.. HA!

I have a buddy down in Florida who is running about the same load from his and plans to put a couple into some hogs. Pretty good bullet test. The Sierra's do pretty well in the jugs from his tests, but I have been fooled once with Sierra's. Not knocking them, but I have had a bad experience where I learned my lesson.

Scotty like you I have had a bad experience with Sierras but in .30 cal from my 30-06 on a white tail buck that the bullet didn't expand and had 2 pencil right threw but that was back in the day.

I've had very good success with Sierras. I would have no difficulty choosing to use a Sierra 225 grain GK on an elk if the impact velocity was below 3000 fps or so. They have given me good service in the Whelen in years past.

Back