35 whelen twist rate

barthowes

Beginner
Feb 20, 2010
I plan on shooting only 250gr Hot cores & PT. Should I go with a 1-12 or a 1-14. I see 1-14 is most common, didn't know if it would make a difference for a 250

barthowes":2ocktr3j said:
I plan on shooting only 250gr Hot cores & PT. Should I go with a 1-12 or a 1-14. I see 1-14 is most common, didn't know if it would make a difference for a 250

I have had no issues with a 1 in 12 twist, either would be great with 250 gr bullets. Probably the only difference you might see is the faster twist handling the long and heavy 310 gr Woodleigh a bit better. No wrong choice here, even the 1 in 16 factory tubes shoot 250's really well. I just bought a Benchmark 1 in 12 for my new 35 Whelen, what barrels are you looking at?

You won't have any trouble with a 14 twist. Personally, I prefer a 12 twist, however; it works better for me than does a 16 twist!

My M700 Classic 35 Whelen has a 1:16 twist and shoots 200 gr, 225 gr and 250 gr bullets with excellent accuracy.

JD338

Good morning, I just had my 35 Whelen made and I went with the 1-14 twist. I plan on shooting the 225gr ABs out of it and would like to try the 200gr ABs if I can get them :wink:
If you are going to shoot a range of bullets then any of the 3 will not do you any harm. I know a number of people that have the factory 1-16 and they shoot the 250gr real well.
If I was to build another 35 Whelen I would likely order the barrel with a 1-12 twist because of my good friend :shock: and the fact that I am already planning another build 7WSM.

Blessings,
Dan

Anyone here shoot the 280 gr Swift A-Frame from their .35 Whelen?

I suppose that one does better with a faster twist than standard.

I have three rifles chambered to the Whelen. The only one I have done any really serious work with is a custom someone built years ago. I picked it up at an estate sale and liked it so much I didn't even try to haggle the price down, an extreme rarity for me. The 1 in 14" was almost a deal breaker for me but the gun was very nice and fit me so well I bought it anyway. It's bbe quite accurate with anything I've run through it, especially with the Barnes 225 gr. TSX. I never expected .50 to .75" groups from a .35 Whelen but that's what I'm getting from that rifle.
The others are a Remington 700 Classic and a Ruger M77RS. They have that 1 in 16" twist rate. :( I've only run a couple of actory loads and one 250 gr. load and accruary with the Remington was decent at one inch and the Ruger was only a 2.0" gun. I've since put the Ruger into a Ramline stock I had laying around and it now does 1.25" most of the time. I picked up a very nice Husqvarna Mauser based on the FN style that works slicker'n greased owl poop and as funds become available, I will chain my gunsmith to his bench and it will be a .35 Whelen with a "proper" 1 in 12" twist. 8) If I'm lucky, maybe I'll have it in time for my elk hunt in December. If not, maybe I'll work with the M700 a bit and use it this year. I have a guy interested in the Ruger so it'll will probably be gone by then. The more I play with the .35, the more I'm liking it. Must be something wrong with me. I'm not going for one of those super duper wizzums or RUMs. Do I need help or am I OK? Arrrrrgggghhh!
Paul B.

My factory Classic has a 1-16", and it shot the 275 Barnes Original just fine. That being said, If I were rebarreling something (probably a .270! :) ) I would be torn between 12 twist and 14 twist... probably two days out of three I would go 1-12", the third day 1-14". And it probably wouldn't make a lick of difference... if it can't be done with a 250 Partition, I need a bigger gun than a Whelen!

Guy,

I just received a couple of boxes of Woodleigh 275 grain bullets, and I have some of the 280 grain A-Frames on order for use in my Whelen. With the 12 twist barrel, it should handle them quite well.

I'd think so - the 1:12 should do real nicely with the longer bullets - but I'm an outsider looking in - not much experience with the .35's here.

Am thinking that 280 A-Frame, well loaded, could put the Whelen right up there with many .375 H&H loads.

Guy,

I believe the Whelen when launching 280 grain A-Frames will be a hammer on moose and grizzly.

My CDL has a 1-16" twist on it and does fine with the 250's. Matter of fact, it does really well. Should I put together another 35, it will likely get the 1-12, just so I know it'll work with the 280's

Back