35whelen just got back from JESreboring

chet

Handloader
Mar 10, 2006
On January 4th, I fedex'd my pushfeed m70 7x57 to Oregon to have JES rebore it.
It arrived back to my greasy hands today! I am very pleased and am very excited to shoot it!!!

You can't beat JES turnaround time. He does great work too. I'm sure it will be a shooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wash those greasy hands and work up a load. Looking forward to seeing what your rebore will do. No doubt it will be a joy to shoot.

You reamed out a 7x57 Winchester Model 70?

Good grief man!

Well, at least you did it for an equally classic cartridge... (y)

Guy

Way to go Chet! I bet you'll enjoy the Whelen. Show us a picture. Which twist did you go with?

RL15, Varget, 4064 and a host of others are your friend. Welcome to the club brother. Hard to not like a great shooting Whelen.

Guy Miner":i82a4jaz said:

Good grief man!

Guy

well, it was originally a 270win.... then I installed a used barrel 7x57..... and it keyholed..... wore right out! so I hope it was justified 8)

It was a great choice. You'll like it. It'll have some reach as well loaded up well. Hard to beat a well stoked Whelen.

Here she is

Attachments

• 20160114_115824.jpg
    20160114_115824.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,825
I let jes pick the groove/twist specs.... figured he'd know better than I... and to be honest, I don't know what it is, I'll check when I get home.

Any Model 70 looks good. When it happens to be chambered in 35 Whelen, the level of appreciation soars.

DrMike":86uj7d8y said:
Any Model 70 looks good. When it happens to be chambered in 35 Whelen, the level of appreciation soars.

Without a doubt! That sucker looks great!

Very nice looking. The 35 Whelen, 280 Remington, and 6mm Remington are just a few calibers that Winchester should chamber for. Wonder if we can influence them and get some of these favorites included? :lol:

6mm Remington":23r6yte3 said:
Very nice looking. The 35 Whelen, 280 Remington, and 6mm Remington are just a few calibers that Winchester should chamber for. Wonder if we can influence them and get some of these favorites included? :lol:

They chamber the 280 David or did last year. The other two I'd love to see, especially a 8 twisted 6mm Remington.

Looks good Chet. Is that a 24" barrel?
What glass are you mounting?
Loads?

JD338

24"
vx3 cds
got some factory ammo to break it in with, then we'll see what she likes!

Another 35 Whelen :wink: we are getting to have quite the family here on this site!!
Looking forward to hearing all the specs (barrel twist) :) a range report with photos will be great as well!
Congratulations on your choice I know that you are going to enjoy the 35 Whelen, there is a bit of knowledge here with load development (y).

Blessings,
Dan

chet":5jzzxoju said:
Guy Miner":5jzzxoju said:

Good grief man!

Guy

well, it was originally a 270win.... then I installed a used barrel 7x57..... and it keyholed..... wore right out! so I hope it was justified 8)

Yup, that's justified! (y)

Great looking rifle - and with all the .35 Whelen Nuts here on the Nosler Forum, you've got a wealth of handloading info readily avail.

Guy

DrMike":2y15zfck said:
6mm Remington":2y15zfck said:

As Scotty says, there is movement in the right direction.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-featherweight.html

One out of three is not bad in the world of rifle manufacturing.

Of course the other cool thing - is that it's just not that hard to have a rifle re-bored, or re-barreled to the cartridge of choice...

Guy

You know Guy...you have the 25-06, the .375 and the 1917 Enfield...you should really consider sending off that Mod 700 CDL '06 you have to JES and get it reamed to the 35 Whelen (preferably AI!) and try it out! :)

Back