.44 mag load

Ashman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2009
I finally purchased a Ruger Redhawk (Hunter) and need some help in getting some reloading data for it.....powder and grains.....primer.

I want to use a 240 grain bullet. This would be used for whitetail hunting.

Thanks,
Steve

Hodgdon 110, also sold as Win 296, is the universal powder for the 44mag and 240gr bullets. Hercules 2400 is also a good powder for use in the 44mag.

Best advise I can really give is to spend $20 on a new reloading manual. The info found there is MUCH more reliable than various data posted on the internet. Posters on message boards are usually posting loads from "memory" and occasionally make "typos" that could be dangerous if followed without verification.

Good luck and load safely

...I used H110 & 2400 a long time ago, but have switched to Lil'Gun, same or better velocities, less flash & bang...

Ashman

Congratulations on the Redhawk.
I use the Nosler 240 gr JHP with 23.5 grs H110 in a W_W case and CCI Mag primer.
Very accurate and very effective on WT deer.

JD338

For a fun practice Cowboy Action type load, I like a cast bullet and a IMR Trail Boss starting load of
6 grains.

I found a web site with some very good info on many different loads. Search for the reloading page of MD Smith. You will find a wide variety of loads and other usful info.

Good luck with the Ruger, you made a good choice.

JD338":191zs5wz said:
Ashman

I use the Nosler 240 gr JHP with 23.5 grs H110 in a W_W case and CCI Mag primer.

JD338

I use just about the same load as Jim, just 24gr's of H110. Love that 240gr Nosler JHP. Much tougher bullet than I thought. Scotty

DSC_3055.jpg

DSC_3054.jpg

I think that bullet went 5-6 jugs. Pretty good all arounder in the 44. Scotty

24.0grs H110 with 240's in my Super Blackhawk.

21.0grs H110 with 310gr cast if you are looking for recoil.

JD338":rrzd6jiu said:
Ashman

JD338

I use W296, which is the same as H110. Other then that, my load is identical to JD's.

It's a max load in my ruger vaquero, so please work up carefully.

My heavy go-to load is 300 gr XTP with 20 gr H110.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Making a trip with the Mrs. Christmas shopping at Cabelas tomorrow.....looks like I'll be buying some reloading components.

Ashman,

Have fun at Cabela's, I am sure it will be packed.

FWIW, I recovered a 240 gr JHP from the water jugs and it looked identical to the one Scotty recovered.
This bullet opens up well on WT deer. A 250 count box will last you a while for load development, sighting in, target practice and hunting.
Nosler p/n 44842.

JD338

Back