.44 mag Marlin?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Getting interested in the little 1894 Marlin:

zoom_1894.jpg

Have never shot one and don't know anyone who hunts with one. Pros & Cons on these nice looking little .44's from Marln?

Anybody use one?

Scope? My eyes aren't what they used to be... Am pretty fond of low-powered scopes anymore, like a 2.5x Leupold...

Educate me on these things please - looks like it might be a dandy companion to my .44 S&W revolver... Maybe even fun for coyote calling or the occasional deer hunt..

Thanks, Guy

My dream handymate / walkabout rifle is this in the 32-20. Do not ask my why, I just always wanted one! Great guns! The leupy you suggested is perfect.

Dad has one in .41 Mag. Great gun. Fun to shoot, zero recoil.
Those big hard cast lead bullets have a suprising amount of momentum. I want one in .44 Mag to pair with my Ruger Vaquero.

:grin: Guy, I happen to have one. I goes great with the 5 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk in .44 mag. I have killed a couple of deer with it which it definately does well, but the real joy is how simple and easy it is to carry. If you have to ruin it and scope it, at least put on some quick detachable rings so you can go back to open sights in the thick stuff.

Guy,

There is only one way to scratch the itch. :wink:
Loaded up with the 250 gr PT or a 300 gr hard cast bullet would make for a drilling machine.

JD338

My fathers favorite deer rife was an old Marlin 336 chambered for the .44mag.He bought it in 64 and killed some monster bucks with it.I always thought it was a bit marginal, but not for him.My first real deer rifle was a Marlin 336 in .30/30.These days I hunt deer mostly with a .45/70 or a .405 Winchester.It saves following a blood trail. :wink:

That is one heck of a little rifle Guy that I'm sure that you'll enjoy. I've shot one and they're very accurate, quick handling and fun to shoot. Not to mention that they pack a wallap. Ammo is also easy to come by. That little rifle and a good quality 265 grain bullet will bring down most game inside 100 yards. It will surprise you. :grin: :grin:

Back