450 Marlin vs 45-70

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Been slobbering over Marlin Guide Guns lately, and saw one (NOS) local to me that is NIB, true Marlin, in 450 Marlin. While I was really looking at 45-70's initially, talk to me about a 450 Marlin.

Good idea/bad idea? Any reasons someone who reloads would shy away from it?

It is the ballistic twin of the 45-70. It is definitely a hand loader's proposition. Brass can be a bit scarce at times, but it can deliver a right smart blow to game. As is true with the 45-70 in other Guide Guns, it can be quite accurate.

Thanks.

The impetus here is I was a dummy of the highest order this past weekend. I was in Cabela's, and of COURSE I had to look at the used gun rack. There on the rack was a pristine M1895G in 45-70, not a mark on it, looked darn near new, if not truly new.

Then I saw the price tag of $475 and I put it back before doing something that would cause my better half to do horrible things to me while I slept later that night.

I went out hunting, and Scotty and a couple of his apprentices worked me over pretty good via text messaging the whole time. So I flew back to Cabela's after I got in from hunting, and, of course....it was gone.

I'd been ruminating over a Guide Gun in 45-70 for a while now, and was generally having good success with keeping that idea in check, never letting the seeds sprout or take root. Now I've fully caved in and the seeds have germinated, sprouted, and the new shoots are growing at an astonishing pace.

I found a shop local to me has (on GB, of all places) a NIB, new-old-stock, true Marlin M1895M in 450M. They want 5 bills for it. Since I'm able to go there, I should just have to pay sales tax and paperwork costs, so probably $540 or so out the door. It has a box, papers, everything. They found it in their warehouse and are selling it now. Pics look good, no rust, etc.

If it were a 45-70, this wouldn't be a discussion. A 450M, though made me pause.

While I would prefer a 45-70, I would buy a 450 Marlin if the price were right. It would be a decision in which I understood the limitations imposed by brass that is less available and the need to always hand load (which is not a hardship for me in any case).

For an older, ported rifle with a peep on it from the factory, that seems a good price that they're at (well, that's the opening bid on GB. Not sure what they'll do if I walk in looking to buy it. No bids on GB, so they can pull it if they wish). It is likely not a "Remlin", but a true Marlin, so to speak.

Seems from a cursory search online that the 450 has as many enthusiastic fans as the 45-70, but there is little doubt of component availability for the 45-70. I'd be surprised if brass can be formed for the 450 should it become unavailable....?

If you do not reload go for it. If you do hold off for a 45-70.

I sure do reload...and I'm sure kicking myself for putting back that 1895G in 45-70 now!

Tom,

No harm buddy. Keep your eyes open for a M1895 Guide in 45-70.
Brass is cheap and abundant. You can load it from mild to wild.
And a Guide gun is a dream to maneuver in the deer blind. :wink:
016.jpg

JD338

For a handloader, they're pretty much ballistic twins. What one is good for, so is the other.

Only the limited availability of .450 Marlin brass & ammo is a consideration. If you stock up on brass, you'll be good to go.

I started with the .45/70 before the advent of the .450, or I might have gone with that instead. Doesn't really matter which cartridge case was used when that .458" bullet clears the muzzle, heading for game... :grin:

Awwww. I wish you guys would stop that :lol:
I had just finished convincing myself I could live without one of those. Saw one a month ago and managed to walk away without buying it.
Now I have the "itch" again.
Darn......
D

dewey7271":1wonfe8x said:
Awwww. I wish you guys would stop that :lol:
I had just finished convincing myself I could live without one of those. Saw one a month ago and managed to walk away without buying it.
Now I have the "itch" again.
Darn......
D

You need to scratch that itch, man.

Ha!
Dr Mike, you're a bad influence! :grin:
Problem is, the itch got scratched a lot this year. Was asked by SWMBO how many rifles are enough? I answered that this is a scientific experiment and the reason for all of these is that I'm trying to determine what that number is......didn't work.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack guys.
Dewey

Not a hijack at all...just letting the thread go where it wants to!

My wife asked why I need it. I replied "Oh, dear, I'm so far past 'need'.....I just want it."

lol

Tom, I do not know what these cost now but I paid $500 for ported 1895 Guide Gun in Stn Stl (New) and I paid $370 for 1895 rifle (22 inch barrel, not ported) new. Both local gun store pricing. I had to buy rifle after son saw guide gun!

I stayed away form .450 Mag because it is hard to find brass locally and it has less capacity then the .45-70 case, although pressures are higher. I can get all the thump that I need from 350 Hornady's at 1900 fps from .45-70's without breaking a sweat.

Back