454 casull I need reload data ????

brkem

Beginner
Nov 7, 2005
:twisted: I have some 300 gr jpp bullets and I am useing imr 4227 powder what are the limits ......I am shooting a 454 in rugar super redhawk .... please help ............Thank you

:oops: I also have a bunch of 45 cal Hornady 200 gr hp/xtp bullets I want to reload with the same powder anyone have that data any help would be appreciated ............. :lol:

Go here and click on the .454 Reloading Data link.

http://www.freedomarms.com/

The 200s are too weakly constructed to use in anything approaching top loads in the .454, they will cause forcing cone damage. Use top-end "Ruger-only" .45 LC data for the 200s. And buy a reloading manual! :wink:

:? thanks have a manual but it does not have the bullet type that I have and I dont know if i can cross referance a different 300 gr. bullet with out damage ....

You made a wise decision. A change in bullet style may make very little difference, or it may make a lot. Start low and work up as they say. Note that in Hornady's testing of the .454 they found that H4227 and IMR4227 performed virtually identically with the 300-grain bullet. Usually these two powders exhibit more difference in fps/grain in the same cartridge.

:?: My book doesn't specify a nosler jpp bullet Can I use the data off of the ucsp bullet in my manual at max load of 31.0 grs not that I am useing the max load I don't want to go over it..............

From a comparison between current Nosler and Speer data, I'd say no, do not use the Speer maximum data with the Nosler bullet. Most of the top charges with all powders are about 2 to 4 grains lower in the Nosler manual and the top velocities are higher. This indicates to me that the Nosler bullet creates more pressure - either by its construction or its seating depth. I would not exceed 26.0 grains of 4227 if it were my gun, and I'd work up to it from 24.0 grains.

OK thats what i needed to know I will try it if you don't hear frome me it did'nt go as planed.. :lol: thanks for the info hope to talk to you later.......

Back