6.5-06

Several years ago, I had a 6.5-06 one of the range members had built on a Saco action, McGowen barrel 19ins in a full-length stock. Used IMR 4831 and Sierra 120gr bullet. Killed one deer than traded it off. Liked the caliber just not in that configuration. Thought about doing a rebarrel in this caliber but just never got around to it. It's a fine round to reload for. Dan.

I had the chance to stop by the store yesterday and look at it again, closer. Nothing different to describe except I noticed the action is one with Nazi proof marks. I also ascertained the barrel is a 24 inch heavy sporter . It has a Tasco 3-9x as well.

The guys at the store said the previous owner is supposed to bring his dies to them to go with the rifle but he hasn't yet.

Last edited:
I might be the odd man out here, but I'd recommend avoiding it being it's a M98 in that cartridge configuration. The 6.5-06 has an overall length of 3.440 to accommodate some of those long 6.5 bullets in an already lengthy case. The M98 is an intermediate length action. The magazines on my M98's measure right handy 3.305. That would put you at around 3.270-3.275 max, if you want to avoid any feeding issues from the magazine, unless you're loading it as a single shot.

I haven't had any issues with the M98 configured in a 30-06 using standard C&C bullets in the 150-180 range. But I would if I wanted to shoot long high BC bullets. I can't see how you wouldn't run into some length issues with the 6.5-06 stuffed into that action unless you stick with the shorter lightweight bullets.

If a guy handloads; there are some huge advantages over the 25/06 with a 6.5x06. The bullet selection is incredible compared to your options with the old .257..... That and the fact the twist most 25/06 barrels is hopeless to stabilize most of the custom bullets that would have much higher BC than the stuff that will shoot in the standard twist. My Rem 700 will wear a new 6.5 barrel when the .257 barrel is gone. I think it would be hard to surpass a 6.5x06 for Whitetail/ Mule Deer or Sheep hunting......jmho.
E

If a guy handloads; there are some huge advantages over the 25/06 with a 6.5x06. The bullet selection is incredible compared to your options with the old .257..... That and the fact the twist most 25/06 barrels is hopeless to stabilize most of the custom bullets that would have much higher BC than the stuff that will shoot in the standard twist. My Rem 700 will wear a new 6.5 barrel when the .257 barrel is gone. I think it would be hard to surpass a 6.5x06 for Whitetail/ Mule Deer or Sheep hunting......jmho.
E

I have an 03 Springfield that I had rebored to 35 Whelen and I'm convinced the steel is soft in the barrel, so it's going to need a rebarrel, and the 6.5-06 is something I had in my head as a strong contender since I own nothing in 6.5 caliber.

I might be the odd man out here, but I'd recommend avoiding it being it's a M98 in that cartridge configuration. The 6.5-06 has an overall length of 3.440 to accommodate some of those long 6.5 bullets in an already lengthy case. The M98 is an intermediate length action. The magazines on my M98's measure right handy 3.305. That would put you at around 3.270-3.275 max, if you want to avoid any feeding issues from the magazine, unless you're loading it as a single shot.

I haven't had any issues with the M98 configured in a 30-06 using standard C&C bullets in the 150-180 range. But I would if I wanted to shoot long high BC bullets. I can't see how you wouldn't run into some length issues with the 6.5-06 stuffed into that action unless you stick with the shorter lightweight bullets.
This would be my caution as well if you wanted to shoot longer bullets.

Neat cartridge though. WT went through a pile of work to get his to shoot, but once he figured it out, man does it really hammer.

I have a 6.5 PRC which seems almost the same in case capacity and is a really easy round to like.

I know this is an older thread but I wanted to see if anyone else has tried using Magpro to load the 6.5-06. I did some based on 6.5 PRC load recommendations and started low. I have recently acquired my first 6.5/06 because it was such a great buy on proxibid. Went to the range today and 143gr ELDx was running 3050 fps accurately from a 26 inch barreled Mauser (Brazilian). No signs of pressure at all. Anyone have any Magpro experience?

Went back to the range and tried a couple more loads with the magpro. I used some CCI Magnum primers vs some CCI 34. And I got more accuracy and speed from the CCI 34 ( I am not understanding what is actually causing this). However I settled on 59.5 grains of Magpro in new Winchester 25/06 cases. CCI 34 primers and an average of 3130 fps for a 143ELDX bullets placing in to one ragged hole from a 26 inch barrel. Based on the ballistics of this load I plan to take it west with me to hunt Elk.

Well, that Mauser action along is worth up to $500, If the stock is decent in form and condition probably another $100 or so so even if the barrel is toast it'd be a good buy IMHO. I'll admit I'm prejudiced in favor of the Mauser action and won't apologize for that. As the current barrel is apparently on the heavy side. it's be a good candidate for a rebore to a larger bullet size bullet. Seems to be a win win deal to me. I know darn well that if I was quite a few years younger I'd seriously consider that rifle. It would depend on the shapre and fit of the stock for me.
Paul B.

Went back to the range and tried a couple more loads with the magpro. I used some CCI Magnum primers vs some CCI 34. And I got more accuracy and speed from the CCI 34 ( I am not understanding what is actually causing this). However I settled on 59.5 grains of Magpro in new Winchester 25/06 cases. CCI 34 primers and an average of 3130 fps for a 143ELDX bullets placing in to one ragged hole from a 26 inch barrel. Based on the ballistics of this load I plan to take it west with me to hunt Elk.
That’s a killer load.

I’d bet the difference between the 34 and 250 is just the lot. Essentially the same primer but the 34 is a bit thicker for AR’s and mil use.

My 6.5-06 on a Sako 85 seems to like H1000 the best so far, but I have a ways to go. One oddity- when using .25-06 brass that I FL'd to 6.5, the brass shrinks in length on the first firing. I got a fair bit of 1x brass with the rifle and it's all on the short side, too, under 2.480". I bought some Hornady .270 brass, FL'd it, and trimmed to 2.494". On the first firing it didn't lose length, might have stretched .002". I'm thinking I'll go with it. I don't care for the idea of the shorter necked brass. Rifle has a 1:7 twist, I'm working with 140 gr bullets.

Does this caliber have the reputation for burning up barrels like the Win .264 mag ?

Not in my opinion. I believe you’ll be more like a 270 then different, especially with H 1000

Back to the drawing board. I went to the range yesterday after loading up 50 more rounds as stated above and was shooting at 100yard and was having a hard time keeping all bullets within a 3inch circle. I am going to swap out the scope as additional test but I am thinking my cold barrel was not liking that load. Temp outside was cooler than when I did the testing and barrel was not warmed up by other rounds. “Good grief Charlie Brown”. Lessons to be learned. Going to try some H4350 as well.

Reloading for it isn't a problem. I would have to get dies, of course, but I already have brass to convert.
I have 100 (5 twenty count bags) new, correctly head stamped still in the bags if you buy the rifle and are interested. Quality Cartridge brand.

Found my problem. 1:9 twist barrel will not stabilize the 143 ELDX. I mistakenly thought I had a 1:8. So now I am considering moving it as it will not serve my purpose as I was hoping to use for elk at extended range but the 130 class bullets will loose too much energy beyond 500 yards

I have 100 (5 twenty count bags) new, correctly head stamped still in the bags if you buy the rifle and are interested. Quality Cartridge brand.
I appreciate your offer, but I didn't buy the rifle. I elected to stay with my PRCs.

Ron

I traded for one a while back it’s a re barreled M70 30-06. After I fired the box that came with it, I haven’t really messed with it much. Cool rifle and shoots good, now I’m thinking I need to do dedicate some more time to it.
New Model 70

Back