6.5-06

Several years ago, I had a 6.5-06 one of the range members had built on a Saco action, McGowen barrel 19ins in a full-length stock. Used IMR 4831 and Sierra 120gr bullet. Killed one deer than traded it off. Liked the caliber just not in that configuration. Thought about doing a rebarrel in this caliber but just never got around to it. It's a fine round to reload for. Dan.

I had the chance to stop by the store yesterday and look at it again, closer. Nothing different to describe except I noticed the action is one with Nazi proof marks. I also ascertained the barrel is a 24 inch heavy sporter . It has a Tasco 3-9x as well.

The guys at the store said the previous owner is supposed to bring his dies to them to go with the rifle but he hasn't yet.

Last edited:
I might be the odd man out here, but I'd recommend avoiding it being it's a M98 in that cartridge configuration. The 6.5-06 has an overall length of 3.440 to accommodate some of those long 6.5 bullets in an already lengthy case. The M98 is an intermediate length action. The magazines on my M98's measure right handy 3.305. That would put you at around 3.270-3.275 max, if you want to avoid any feeding issues from the magazine, unless you're loading it as a single shot.

I haven't had any issues with the M98 configured in a 30-06 using standard C&C bullets in the 150-180 range. But I would if I wanted to shoot long high BC bullets. I can't see how you wouldn't run into some length issues with the 6.5-06 stuffed into that action unless you stick with the shorter lightweight bullets.

If a guy handloads; there are some huge advantages over the 25/06 with a 6.5x06. The bullet selection is incredible compared to your options with the old .257..... That and the fact the twist most 25/06 barrels is hopeless to stabilize most of the custom bullets that would have much higher BC than the stuff that will shoot in the standard twist. My Rem 700 will wear a new 6.5 barrel when the .257 barrel is gone. I think it would be hard to surpass a 6.5x06 for Whitetail/ Mule Deer or Sheep hunting......jmho.
E

If a guy handloads; there are some huge advantages over the 25/06 with a 6.5x06. The bullet selection is incredible compared to your options with the old .257..... That and the fact the twist most 25/06 barrels is hopeless to stabilize most of the custom bullets that would have much higher BC than the stuff that will shoot in the standard twist. My Rem 700 will wear a new 6.5 barrel when the .257 barrel is gone. I think it would be hard to surpass a 6.5x06 for Whitetail/ Mule Deer or Sheep hunting......jmho.
E

I have an 03 Springfield that I had rebored to 35 Whelen and I'm convinced the steel is soft in the barrel, so it's going to need a rebarrel, and the 6.5-06 is something I had in my head as a strong contender since I own nothing in 6.5 caliber.

I might be the odd man out here, but I'd recommend avoiding it being it's a M98 in that cartridge configuration. The 6.5-06 has an overall length of 3.440 to accommodate some of those long 6.5 bullets in an already lengthy case. The M98 is an intermediate length action. The magazines on my M98's measure right handy 3.305. That would put you at around 3.270-3.275 max, if you want to avoid any feeding issues from the magazine, unless you're loading it as a single shot.

I haven't had any issues with the M98 configured in a 30-06 using standard C&C bullets in the 150-180 range. But I would if I wanted to shoot long high BC bullets. I can't see how you wouldn't run into some length issues with the 6.5-06 stuffed into that action unless you stick with the shorter lightweight bullets.
This would be my caution as well if you wanted to shoot longer bullets.

Neat cartridge though. WT went through a pile of work to get his to shoot, but once he figured it out, man does it really hammer.

I have a 6.5 PRC which seems almost the same in case capacity and is a really easy round to like.

Back