6.5x55 Swede Opinions Wanted Please

Mighty Peace

Handloader
Jul 5, 2006
I found a Sako m75ss 6.5x55 for sale and was looking for input from owners with this caliber. Looking to buy it for one of my boys for later. Actually would be nice in my Sako m75 collection. :mrgreen:

I was lately contemplating on a 30-06 in a Sako m75ss as I have a new 25-06 barrel I took off a Greywolf for my 338-06AI project and was leaning that with a barrel switch first then when my boys got older go back to the 30-06. This way one could use the 243, the other the 25-06 and then move up to the 30-06, or should I just go 6.5x55

Thanks in advance

The Swede is a sweet cartridge, and it would be right at home in the Sako. I wouldn't feel undergunned for most of the game I hunt with a 6.5X55.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5X55.... considering how many moose have been taken in Northern Europe with it.

And I built my wife a 6.5X55 some years back....

Thanks guys. I have read before alot of good comments on other forums. I think its the main rifle used for hunting moose in Sweden

I think its a good price for $1350 with Optilocks and a Elite 3200 Busnell scope. Only thing I dont like now that I seen pics is the rifle has the Key Concept bolt lock... I'm not a fan of it. Decisions decisions.

BTW Dr Mike......you out moose hunting yet in BC?

Yes, it's the main Moose gun in Sweden, because without a special license, they are limited to 6.5 caliber rifles. Many Sweed Moose hunters would prefer a bigger gun.

We have a lady on the forum that hunts all over the world and does so with, I think, only six calibers and the swede is one of them. My wife and now my daughter loves the swede. Ours has taken deer, antelope, caribou, black bear, coyotes and wolves. You will never be sorry for buying a swede for your boys or yourself.

Well it doesn't sound like you'll be hunting moose with it, so that point is moot. Nosler makes several excellent 6.5 bullets and I wouldn't hesitate to punch an elk with that 140 Partition.

The 6.5x55mm Swede is a cool round. Loaded up with a 130 gr AB it will shoot flat and retain good energy.

JD338

Antelope_Sniper":htn87tke said:
Yes, it's the main Moose gun in Sweden, because without a special license, they are limited to 6.5 caliber rifles. Many Sweed Moose hunters would prefer a bigger gun.

I've never heard that the Swede's were limited to 6.5s, that's an interesting law- mandating a certain bore. Kinda weird in a way.

I do know that Swedish moose are a fair bit smaller than the Alaskan moose we have running around here but regardless, savvy hunters the world over are often in love with the Swede and have been since it was introduced. Modern loadings (esp European loadings) can give the old Swede a lot more sizzle than the anemic US rounds concocted by liability conscious makers.

I have an uncle who'll shoot nothing else.

I don't know about the special license thing. When I visited my relatives near Vakksholm 6.5X55, 9.3X62, 8X57 and 30-06 rifles were in the locker, no mention of a special license. They used a lot of 6.5 because they liked it and practice ammo was readily available and relatively cheap. Centerfire competition shoots were limited to 6.5X55 or 7.62 Nato Rifles. Low recoil, not much meat damage compared to the heavier rounds. With a 156-160 grain rn it will dump a euro-moose. Would be plenty of gun for deer or bear and would probably do alright on elk with proper bullet selection and plenty of shot discipline.

In your SAKO you can use Lapua 6.5 SKAN data. Think of it as 6.5 swede +P. If memory serves it will exceed the 6.5X284 ballistics at these pressure levels. Use only Lapua or Norma brass, it's a bit sturdier. This is a great caliber, it would be a shame to rebarrel such a nice rifle chambered for it when there are so many ought sixes floating around.

The Swede is pretty under rated to my eyes. With loads in the modern pressure range in a rifle like a Sako, you really have something that will run well and excellent bullets. The long neck and ample powder space should make it a great performer.

It is pretty well in the front with a Model 70 job or something else that catches my eye. It would make a nice light rifle for a younger shooter or a great carrying rifle for long walks.

I have a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55, along with three of the Swedish Mausers still in original form. I also have what I term a "parts is parts" rifle (98 action, Shilen sporter barrel, B&C stock, Bold trigger).
All will easily shoot under an inch at a 100 if I do my part and the lack of recoil helps a lot, especially for someone recoil sensitive.

One phrase I've heard/read often describing the Swede is that it's effect on game animals often exceeds what it's paper ballistics might indicate. Look at BC's on .264 bullets and few, if any, really stink. I've used 100 and 120 BT's successfully on deer with complete pass throughs at 200+ yards. I've not tried the 130 AB yet but it ought to be a stellar performer, too. With the performance others have had, and shared, with other AB rounds I think the Swede loaded with some should poke substantial holes through some larger critters.

I've reloaded for it, too, and it's proven to be one of the easiest to find workable loads for I've tried.

I truly doubt you, or anyone in your family who uses it, will be disappointed in the caliber.

Ron

As has been mentioned by many, it is one sweet caliber. I have used it for years and love it. As Scotty mentioned it is a very under rated caliber. If you get it everyone in your family will enjoy using it

The 6.5 x 55 is the minimum caliber allowed to hunt moose in Sweden. But many use larger calibers. The law states that the 6.5 is the minimum caliber that can be used but it also states that you must have 2000 joules of impact energy at 100 meters when using a 154 gr bullet or larger. You cant use anything under 139 gr and if you use a 139 to 153 gr bullet it must produce 2700 joules of energy at 100 meters.

The swede is one of my favorite calibers, but when hunting moose in Sweden I use either the 7 x 57 or 300 H & H

Mighty Peace --we also have a Swede and I doubt we will ever not have one. Excellent chambering

A--would you please use ft pounds instead of joules and yards instead of meters when you post so I dont have to translate to understand your post LOL

Polaris":27gr062w said:
This is a great caliber, it would be a shame to rebarrel such a nice rifle chambered for it when there are so many ought sixes floating around.

I wasnt thinking of rebarreling the 6.5x55. I am debating on buying this rifle or a Sako m75ss 30-06. I have a new 25-06 stainless barrel taken off a Sako m75 greywolf rifle that I made a 338-06AI in to. If I go with the 30-06 I was thinking of switching out the barrel in the mean time to have a 25-06 caliber for my boys to shoot and not fight over the 243. When time comes, switch back to a 30-06 when they get older.

I could switch the 6.5x55 barrel out with the 25-06 as it is the same action size "IV" for both calibers, just would need some adjustments by a gunsmith. Right now I'm leaning 6.5x55 as it would make a great predator rifle. I wil decide by tomorrow and make an offer on one of the rifles.

Hunternyny....there is always GOOGLE to search and convert......lol :mrgreen:
Thanks for all the input guys!!

Mighty Peace":v94pofdf said:
I wasnt thinking of rebarreling the 6.5x55. I am debating on buying this rifle or a Sako m75ss 30-06. I have a new 25-06 stainless barrel taken off a Sako m75 greywolf rifle that I made a 338-06AI in to.

MP, if you run both the 25-06 and 6.5 to the same pressure standards, the 6.5 will match the speeds the 25-06 will get the with the 100-120 grain bullets and then it'll pull ahead with the heavier bullets. Just some thoughts..

SJB358":2j78ck5n said:
Mighty Peace":2j78ck5n said:
I wasnt thinking of rebarreling the 6.5x55. I am debating on buying this rifle or a Sako m75ss 30-06. I have a new 25-06 stainless barrel taken off a Sako m75 greywolf rifle that I made a 338-06AI in to.

MP, if you run both the 25-06 and 6.5 to the same pressure standards, the 6.5 will match the speeds the 25-06 will get the with the 100-120 grain bullets and then it'll pull ahead with the heavier bullets. Just some thoughts..

Yes, plus you have that extra thump burn less powder and in a long action if it is chambered right you will be able to seat your bullets way out there and totally surprize yourself with that old Swede!

I have gone back and forth between the .257 Roberts and the 6.5x55. The 115 gr, .257 and the 125 gr .264 bullets are pretty close to each other in Sectional Density and ballistics. It is kind of like comparing a 6mm Remington to a .257 Roberts. Loaded to the same pressures and SD's they are peas in a pod!

SJB358":3dj4pkzl said:
Mighty Peace":3dj4pkzl said:

Scotty, as usual is spot on about the 25-06 comparison, as is nvbroncrider, and charlie with their posts above.
MP -- The Swede will surprise you with what it is capable of doing and how much the entire family will enjoy using the chambering. It is a good predator gun but can also be an excellent Deer, Antelope, and Caribou gun.

John ( hunternyny ) Joules/Meters -Sorry about that LOL. On a serious note John, please accept my condolences for your loss

Charlie, you have traveled the world and and you know how many places in the world use different forms of measurement and sometimes I forget to speak English. Charlie, I hope your health allows you to hunt again this year. Best of luck sir

Back