6mm Remington Please Bring it back !

Kawabuggy":3nr24xse said:
I have the user name Kawabuggy because I had the bright idea to put a motorcycle engine on a man-cart (think adult version of kids go-cart). My kids go cart has 6HP.. The man-cart has over 100! So Kawasaki engine & man-buggy equals Kawabuggy.

Kawabunga! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JD338

He sold it to me because he never used it, and needed cash. I gave $450 for the gun and it looks like it's brand new. I knew there were early guns with a slower twist, and then later guns with a faster twist. This gun has the 1 in 9" twist.

A 9 twist 6MM Remington! Load it up with 105 or 115 grain bullet and it will give your 25-06 a run for the money.

Desert Fox":3u1xioyp said:
Love mine. 6MM Remington is a true varminter!!! superior to 243 in every respect IMHO. I'm surprised there's not enough interest in them.

How do you figure that?

Well, I have the gun here at work with me this morning. I'm going to take some pictures and post them here shortly. I'll have to use my cell phone to take the pictures so they might not be the best in clarity.

Gun does have a few scratches on the stock now that I have studied it closer but overall I'd still give it a 95%.

Kawabuggy, sounds like a very nice find. And, as you said that you reload, will be fun working up the optimum load for the rifle.
Perhaps the 6mmRem. VS .243Win. debate will rage on. Most of the anecdotal evidence showing that the 6mmRem is superior to the .243Win. is just that....anecdotal. I have never seen any in depth report showing that one is far superior than is the other. Both are excellent cartridges and when loaded right, either is a tack driver on varmints and a passable killer of deer sized game.
The fact that my guide in Wy. banned .243Win. from his combo mule deer/pronghorn hunts, probably has more to do with what happens when unskilled riflemen are given the 6mm rifles, because "they cannot handle recoil!" Or many times, because they are newbies. I have no doubt that an expert rifleman can take deer cleanly, with the 6mm bullets.
I have always wondered by proven hunters of deer, using 7mm bullets or larger, get their kids a 6mm bullet rifle to "start hunting deer". If the veteran hunter has found that he *wants* the energy to provide knockdown power, by using 7mm and up, why does he saddle his children with a 6mm rifle to "start them"? Any kid who can shoulder a rifle can learn to comfortably fire a rifle firing larger bullets than 6mm, if he is started on light loads and worked up.

This little 6mm Rem has given me 35 years of shooting fun. About five years ago I gave it to my youngest son, and it's continued performing just fine for him. Likely giving it a new barrel next year. The well worn factory barrel is the 9" twist, and has handled 105 gr bullets just fine. Mostly it's been a varmint rifle for us, but has no problem dropping mule deer. Very nice multi-purpose cartridge. Better than the .243? On paper yes, but in the field, I've noticed no real difference. Either one is a 6mm bullet at good velocity, with low recoil and great accuracy potential.

My youngest son hunting with the 1974 vintage Remington last week:
IMG_2223.jpg

Rockchuck blasting last spring/summer:
IMG_1204.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

The young man at 13, with his first deer, taken with one shot at 275 yards. The little 95 gr Ballistic Tip went through the chest, destroyed the heart & lungs and exited through the off-side leg, shattering the bone on the way out. Needless to say it was a very quick kill. We had the rifle in the shorter, Remington "youth" stock at that point.
Johndoe1.jpg

I still like the little thing. After I gave it to him, I had to console myself with the purchase of a .25-06 just to make me feel better!

I had to console myself with the purchase of a .25-06 just to make me feel better!

Great thinking, Guy. Perhaps we all need to give our children and grandchildren a favourite rifle, just so we can get another.

It's funny, but I had a twinge of guilt when I realized that I'd given him the old rifle, and later finding myself without a light-kicking dual-purpose rifle, I went out and bought myself a brand spanking new .25-06 rifle... Sheesh...

Still, he's enjoyed carrying "Dad's rifle" and has done well with it. It's truly his rifle now. We're planning a rebuild next year...

I have no doubt that he is enjoying "Dad's rifle." What boy or girls wouldn't enjoy it?

longranger":12ozkuu8 said:
Desert Fox":12ozkuu8 said:
Love mine. 6MM Remington is a true varminter!!! superior to 243 in every respect IMHO. I'm surprised there's not enough interest in them.

How do you figure that?

I have both rifle and I work with both cartridge. For varminting or even for big game, the edge is with the 6MM Remington due to slightly bigger case volume and a very desirable longer case neck. Just do a little research and you'll see that 6MM have a slight edge over the 243 in the velocity department in the tune of 50 to 75 fps. It doesn't seems much, but its an advantage nevertheless.

My 6MM is built strickly for Varminting. Nothing fancy... just an old 1909 Argentine Mauser with a 28" 10 twist Shilen barrel. I feed it with a strick diet of Moly-coated 87 grain V-Max at 3300 fps. This load shoot's flatter than my 300 Win Mag using the 180 grain bullet at 1K. Longest kill was at 598 yards against a menacing crow :)

IMGP0506.jpg

Kawabuggy":2tvb81jq said:
Gun does have a few scratches on the stock now that I have studied it closer but overall I'd still give it a 95%.

High Gloss finish?

Dull it down with #0000 steel wool. If the scratches are not too deep, it may take care of it and give your rifle a satin finish.

JD338

Desert Fox":2v1rmi8o said:
longranger":2v1rmi8o said:
Desert Fox":2v1rmi8o said:

How do you figure that?

I have both rifle and I work with both cartridge. For varminting or even for big game, the edge is with the 6MM Remington due to slightly bigger case volume and a very desirable longer case neck. Just do a little research and you'll see that 6MM have a slight edge over the 243 in the velocity department in the tune of 50 to 75 fps. It doesn't seems much, but its an advantage nevertheless.

My 6MM is built strickly for Varminting. Nothing fancy... just an old 1909 Argentine Mauser with a 28" 10 twist Shilen barrel. I feed it with a strick diet of Moly-coated 87 grain V-Max at 3300 fps. This load shoot's flatter than my 300 Win Mag using the 180 grain bullet at 1K. Longest kill was at 598 yards against a menacing crow :)

IMGP0506.jpg

50 to 75 fps.. quite a difference.... :shock: :roll: I'm sure that crow you shot new it too. LOL

Anyway..... :roll: My 243 with a McGowen barrel with a 1:12 twist get the same groups and performance.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m78/ ... Mauser.jpg

Attached is photo of the rifle that I only use on really big prairie dogs. It all began when I bought an FN Supreme, 29" barrel, new, at an auction in southern Pa. The auctioneer had no bid. The tag only said, "6mm" and no chamber had been cut yet. I got it for $20. That was in the mid-1970s. In my clock shop, where I worked on my guns, I had a good German K98k receiver, complete with bolt, trigger guard assembly. I ordered a Fajen "black on black" laminated stock and Timney trigger. A man in my gun club put the rifle together for me. The 24x Unertl scope came off a Winchester M52 target rifle that I had. I found the Olympic sights to play with the rifle sans scope.
The decision was to go .243Win. or 6mmRem. I knew that 6mm had a edge, but a slight one. At that time, 6mmRem. was already not popular with rifle and ammo makers. Plus, I had a ton of .243Win. brass at home, so that was the clincher.
A couple pet loads that will make one ragged hole consistantly, at 100 yds. : (1) 58gr V-Max, CCI-200 primers, 39gr of H380. (2) Speer TNT 70gr. bullet. 39gr. IMR4064, chronied at 3320. IMR4198 worked as well with the same bullet. I have a fair amount of data from various loads, but those produced the best results for me. The 70gr. TNT bucks the Wyoming wind a little better.
Steven

The fact that my guide in Wy. banned .243Win. from his combo mule deer/pronghorn hunts, probably has more to do with what happens when unskilled riflemen are given the 6mm rifles, because "they cannot handle recoil!" Or many times, because they are newbies. I have no doubt that an expert rifleman can take deer cleanly, with the 6mm bullets.

I fully understand him banning .243's. In Wyoming, I don't know how many deer and antelope I've put down for some easterner who was shooting a .243 with some light weight cup and core bullet. Here they are hunting with a light gun, inferior designed, light for caliber bullet, and the shooting skills (or lack there of) to match :roll: . Just about every year, it would translate into more shooting for me :grin: . A bigger gun wouldn't solve all their problems, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything. In the right hands with the right bullet, the 6mm will kill deer like lightning. There are just too many new folks who haven't learned that magic combination.

Antelope_Sniper":3um1qndj said:

I fully understand him banning .243's. In Wyoming, I don't know how many deer and antelope I've put down for some easterner who was shooting a .243 with some light weight cup and core bullet. Here they are hunting with a light gun, inferior designed, light for caliber bullet, and the shooting skills (or lack there of) to match :roll: . Just about every year, it would translate into more shooting for me :grin: . A bigger gun wouldn't solve all their problems, but it sure wouldn't hurt anything. In the right hands with the right bullet, the 6mm will kill deer like lightning. There are just too many new folks who haven't learned that magic combination.

I know a fella who shot whitetail for over twenty five years and nailed one
every year with the 243, 85 grain bullet.

However.... one year he shot one... thought the deer was dead... turned around to fill out his tag... turned back around, and the deer was gone!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh snap!! Could not find it.

When I was given an M77 Ruger in the mid-1960s, I thought that I had the ultimate deer/varmint rifle, in .243Win. The 85gr. bullets did cleanly kill untold numbers of Maryland groundhogs at ranges that surprised my uncle, with his old Winchester M70 in 220Swift! But when deer season came around, I loaded 36gr. of IMR4064, pushing a Sierra 100gr. GameKing Spitzer Boat Tail. On paper the accuracy from the hunting weight barrel was wonderful. On deer, not so wonderful. The deer, hit in the heart, ran over 100 yards, which in the woods, at last light, can make for a difficult find and sometimes the deer is lost. I opened up three deer, who had their hearts split by the bullet. All had run what I consider to be too far. This is only anecdotal evidence, but I believe that with that fast little bullet, I was shooting my deer too close. None were beyond 75 yards. All had exit wounds not much bigger than entry wounds.
Had I stuck with the .243Win. for deer, I probably would've discovered that on the size deer I was taking, a hollow point would've been devastating. The largest that I took, using heart shots, was 155 live weight. I went to neck shots and dropped deer in their tracks. Later, I just pulled out Dad's old Win. M70 in .270Win. and used that. The difference appeared to be very great, using the GameKing bullets in 130 gr. weight.
Again, I am not knocking anyone's 6mm deer getter. I am only reporting my own, personal experiences. The deer that I have hit with the .270Win and 7mmRemMag, have never walked more than a few steps before dropping over, graveyard dead. This, to include white tails, mule deer and pronghorn. My longest shot on my largest muley was 404 measured yards, bringing down a buck weighing over 250 lbs. No world class shot, but I am glad that I was using my 7mmRemMag and not my .243WIN.
Steven

longranger wrote: "7mm Rem, mag....?? Dreadful... simply dreadful. "

<8^)) Indeed, dreadful!
Amazing to remember history and reading that when the US Gov'mt. 30-06 was introduced, many sportsmen believed that such a powerful round would never and should never be used on game!....."How high is up?" Now we see over the top rounds, such as the 30-378 and .50cal hunting rifles. I wager that not too far in the future, "hunters" will see an elk on the screen of their laptop! Put the mouse on the elk. Right click on the mouse, and a round will come down and take out the elk!!....Now, that is dreadful, but not far fetched!
What is the future of hunting in the US?

roysclockgun":2okkvgrt said:
I wager that not too far in the future, "hunters" will see an elk on the screen of their laptop! Put the mouse on the elk. Right click on the mouse, and a round will come down and take out the elk!!....Now, that is dreadful, but not far fetched!
What is the future of hunting in the US?

Actually, it has already happened. An outfitter in TX was selling hunts where they would place a remote-controlled rifle out some where and a hunter would log into the system to control the rifle. TX authorities got told of this and they quickly shut them down.

Richracer1 wrote: "TX authorities got told of this and they quickly shut them down."

Also shut down were the ELk farms that I saw in Montana in 1999. Huge bull elk grazed in pastures, sporting large ear tags, printed with their prices. "Sports" decided how much they wanted to spend. $5000 bulls. $8000 bulls and even higher, were commonplace on those farms. Cows were artificially inseminated with sperm taken from world class bulls. "Sports" rode near the herds in open SUVs and picked out which bull they wanted. If they selected a bull of higher quality than that for which they had paid, the guide had a new contract on board, that the "Sport" could sign, before shooting the animal. I suppose for someone just wanting a head for their office, with which to impress clients, that was the way to go. Hunting? I don't think so. My guide, with whom I was fair chase hunting in the Rocky Mtns., had bottle fed some of the huge bulls that he showed me, through fence.
Steven

Back