7 MM Rem. Mag bullet choice

Oldtrader3":1qysj4zf said:
I guess between the 150 gr and 160 gr for deer it would be based on which shoots better which in my rifle has always been the 160 gr Partition for 50 years now. Either bullet will flatten deer to 500 yards, if you can make the shot.

I'd say there is some wisdom had from OT3. I keep building/buying rifles with the thought of the bullet I want to shoot out of them, and they keep reminding me that they will shoot what they bloody well want to shoot well, regardless of how much I want them to use my first choice.

Try a variety of the 150g and 160g, and whichever one makes your rifle sing is the one to pick.

Depends what you want out of the bullet I think...

I've used 140g nbts out to 800 on deer with great results.

The 160g AB will get you a little further is all because it will carry due to BC. However expansion is more at risk here because of more heavily constructed bullet. The 160g AB gets the nod for shoulder shots or brush inside 100 yards as well.

Two totally different bullets that work great out of the 7 rm when used correctly!!

Guy Miner":25mjqbcw said:
I was impressed with what I saw from Stephen and Storm using their .280 & 7mm-08 rifles and the small, 120 grain Ballistic Tip last fall. Instant kills and great penetration...

In the past I've usually favored the 160 - 175 gr bullets for the 7mm Rem mag, but I'm starting to get interested in the 120's and 140's.

Guy

Guy can you give some more info on the 120's in the 280? what speeds and stuff like that. I am praying that I finally get my antelope tag this year and the 120 would be a bullet I would be interested in for poking a speed goat.

Sorry for the hijack guys

Based on all reports the 140 gr. will work best for me. And of course it will the fulfill the Weatherby "Ultra Velocity" promise. The 100 yd. and under shots should be easier to place for the heart lung area where expansion is a good thing.

Find out which bullet shoots flattest: http://www.bergerbullets.com/ballistics/

I killed a large cow elk with a 3200-fps muzzle velocity 140BT at 450 yards. It was an insta-kill heart/lung shot. Bullet was caught just under the skin on the opposite side. On deer/antelope, all pass through with a behind the shoulder hit, and I saw a 2-3 inch diameter exit. Avoiding the shoulder saves a lot of meat. BT

Greg, I had some good luck today with the 160 AB and Rl25 in my 7mm Rem Mag. Speeds in the upper charges were in the 3080-3100 range with 0 pressure signs. Need to tweak seating a little I think bit I think they will come in nicely.

Thats up there for a 7 RM Scotty. I wished my 7 RM would just get 3000 accurately with a 160 class bullet.

I've used quite a few powders from IMR4350 to retumbo, but never have tried RL25 in the 7 mag. Tried most everything else around it though and I've never been able to get 3000fps and my requirement of consistent 1/2" to 3/4" groups. Its always been on the slower end at 2850-2900fps. Dont matter if it was H4831, H1000, RL22, or Retumbo.

Thats ok, I still know a 160g at 2900fps will kill stuff out to 1K so I'm not all that worried about it really. Few more clicks is all...

I am however going to start piecing a build for a 7mm and I will get 3200fps accurately with a 160-168g bullets with the idea in mind on caliber and barrel length. Either standard 7 RM or 7mm-300 Win, with 30" bbls. Cheap velocity and able to set back a couple times without having rebarrel. Thats idea anyways!

SJB358":228mor79 said:
Greg, I had some good luck today with the 160 AB and Rl25 in my 7mm Rem Mag. Speeds in the upper charges were in the 3080-3100 range with 0 pressure signs. Need to tweak seating a little I think bit I think they will come in nicely.

about 68-71 grains Scott?

My particular choice is: 66.0 grains of IMS 7828 SSC, W-W cases, Federal MM 215 primers, Partition 160 gr 7mm bullet. I am also not convinced that Fed 215 primers and Fed 215 Mag Match are the same brisance primer. I need to study that one.

FOTIS":2jvc4h7i said:
SJB358":2jvc4h7i said:

about 68-71 grains Scott?

Yup, exactly Fotis. Actually fired up to 72 grains of RL25 with CCI250's. Nothing at all for pressure, cases look great and primers look better than 66 grains of RL22 with the 160 AB. Overall, it seems like it is going to be a good combo. I recorded all of the speeds and will get them posted up pretty quick.

Jorey, I am actually thinking of trying some RL25 in my 7mm WSM as well. That one seems to easily get into the 3100's with a 160 and RL22 but if I can get there with less PSI's, and maintain the accuracy, I would take it.

Right now, I am working pretty steady with the 7mm Rem Mag. It was my first big rifle, and I haven't done much with it lately. It looks pretty good so far. Need to get back to the bench and do a seating depth test and see what I can do in order to tighten them up some.

Getting hot around here too, so I can only shoot the first couple hours of the morning till it gets too hot to be fun.

For my Sako 85 Rl -22 with 67.2 gets me to 3000 fps with 160 gr AB. It is accurate load.
the max normally should be 66 gr. . Coal 3.29.
I must have a slow barrel. No pressure signs. Accurate less then 1 nich at 100 yards.
I would like to bring down to 1/2 inch but right now is too warm for testing. It takes too much time.
I will wait until fall. It needs to be 45 F or less . I like 32 - 35 F. Not too cold for load testing.
Vodekz

I'd shoot 168gr. Berger's, 160 AB's or 160 LRAB's out of it if it were me. Load it up with H4831SC and burn some powder!

Back