7 mm Rem mag E-tip question

magothy1

Beginner
Mar 3, 2012
I have a load for a 140 E-tip with 7828 that does pretty well if I do my part. A friend is all hot to use 150 E-tips for his out west hunting. I've tried them in my rifle, a plain jane Vanguard, and can't get them to do anything decent, say an inch at 100 yards. The 140's have done .7" and better. They shoot well with 66.5 gr of 7828 at 3.335" OAL. Comparator length is 2.775

Should I start the 150's at the same comparator length ? I realize they will want a different charge, any ideas ?

My friend has a real nice Cooper that shoots 150 gr Sierras into a ragged hole, he wants that with the 150 E-tips. I figured it's my only chance to shoot a Cooper, I said I'd try a few loads with it. Anyone loaded 150 E-tips for one of those ?

Thanks,
Steve

They do like a "jump" in every rifle I have tried them in.

The E-Tips shoot the best for me when seated .100" off the lands in 3 different calibers.
Here is the 7mm 150 gr E-Tip out of a 280 AI.
280AI150grE-Tip300.jpg

JD338

JD338":2ja49sdz said:
The E-Tips shoot the best for me when seated .100" off the lands in 3 different calibers.
Here is the 7mm 150 gr E-Tip out of a 280 AI.
280AI150grE-Tip300.jpg

JD338

That bullet looks like an arrow. That much bearing surface has to help with accuracy I would think.

Thanks for the ideas. As good as the 140 shoots it sure seems like the 150 ought to do well. I'll keep after it. I see the little slip of paper in the box of bullets says to try them way off the lands, as Fotis says, but the 140 load that works for me is kinda close, best as I can tell.

JD338, is that the Federal match primers you used for that load ? I've read and heard they seem to do a bit better.

Thanks fellas. Yes, I load with the Federal GM215M primers in the 280 AI.

I just got home from the farm where I was shooting steel with the 280 AI at 600 and 800 yds.
She was dead on. :)

JD338

magothy1":23x7p0of said:
I have a load for a 140 E-tip with 7828 that does pretty well if I do my part. A friend is all hot to use 150 E-tips for his out west hunting. I've tried them in my rifle, a plain jane Vanguard, and can't get them to do anything decent, say an inch at 100 yards. The 140's have done .7" and better. They shoot well with 66.5 gr of 7828 at 3.335" OAL. Comparator length is 2.775

Should I start the 150's at the same comparator length ? I realize they will want a different charge, any ideas ?

My friend has a real nice Cooper that shoots 150 gr Sierras into a ragged hole, he wants that with the 150 E-tips. I figured it's my only chance to shoot a Cooper, I said I'd try a few loads with it. Anyone loaded 150 E-tips for one of those ?

Thanks,
Steve

Haven't loaded the 150s, but that will happen shortly. The 140s are excellent; the 150s will be more of an excellent thing.

Interesting that these bullets like so much jump. Does the same hold true for Barnes and Hornady
monolithic or does it have more to do with the E-Tip's geometry?

RiverRider":2geibtko said:
Interesting that these bullets like so much jump. Does the same hold true for Barnes and Hornady
monolithic or does it have more to do with the E-Tip's geometry?

Definitely holds true for Barnes, as verified in conversations with their own ballisticians. May hold true for Hornady GMX, though conversations with at least one of their ballisticians indicates that these are to be loaded without the longer jump. The argument in this case is that the materials employed permit loading much closer to the lands. In composition and construction, the E-Tip and Barnes TSX (and TTSX) are more similar.

Back