7 PRC

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well, it's officially introduced. Gavin has been working behind the scenes to build a pair of rifles in 7 PRC, but couldn't talk about them until Hornady officially announced the cartridge.

He built one hunting rifle and one heavy match rifle. Here's a link to the story & video: https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/10/26/new-7mm-prc-complete-overview/

Regards, Guy

Good story and video Guy.
The 7 PRC does have a shorter case than I would have thought. Looks to be a great new cartridge.

JD338

Well, it's officially introduced. Gavin has been working behind the scenes to build a pair of rifles in 7 PRC, but couldn't talk about them until Hornady officially announced the cartridge.

He built one hunting rifle and one heavy match rifle. Here's a link to the story & video: https://ultimatereloader.com/2022/10/26/new-7mm-prc-complete-overview/

Regards, Guy
I just watched his video a little bit ago. Nice rifles, and I really enjoy his channel. Always great to see you on there also Guy! Looking forward to seeing you try those out on his channel.

Very interesting! I think I am going to have to study this out some more. It appears that I could convert my 7mm RM by "simply" swapping out the barrel (after trueing the action). I would just have to order the faster twist barrel. Correct? Dan

These parameters were exactly what my objective was when I started my 7mm RM project.

A 5R rifled 26” 1:8 barrel, long magazine that lets me load out to a 3.615” OAL, and 3k with heavy high BC bullets. I also wanted it to shoot mono’s well. It’s my opinion that the fast twist helps the E-Tips I shoot expand wider and more quickly. This is just my opinion because of different articles read.

Seems like they looked at what I wanted and packaged it into a factory rifle platform. The build was a success. I get accurate performance at 3003 fps with 175gr ELD-X’s, and a hair more with Berger 180gr Hybrids. I got to where I wanted to be. It however, would have been MUCH easier to purchase a factory platform that had my performance objectives designed into the cartridge from the get go. That being said I wouldn’t switch to the 7 PRC because of brass demand. I’m good on 7RM brass. I think the 7mm PRC will be around a while but brass will be tough to come by.

Last edited:
A 5R rifled 26” 1:8 barrel, long magazine that lets me load out to a 3.615” OAL, and 3k with heavy high BC bullets. I also wanted it to shoot mono’s well. It’s my opinion that the fast twist helps the E-Tips I shoot expand wider and more quickly. This is just my opinion because of different articles read.

I think that you are onto something there. The E-Tips, and other mono-metal bullets, tend to be long, and can be pretty tough... Spinning 'em faster seems like a good move.

Guy

Maybe I’m nuts but bullet expansion takes place over a total time of a couple milliseconds. At 3000 fps a bullet from a 10 twist barrel is turning 216,000 rpm’s. The same velocity bullet from a 8 twist barrel is pushing 270,000 rpm’s. I have no evidence it’s true but I think the centrifugal force aids in mono expansion. After all you can tell the direction the bullet was spinning by looking at the direction the petals are canted on an expanded bullet. Like I said, it’s just my opinion. Im sorry to veer the thread off in a weird direction.

Back to the subject of the 7mm PRC. The 7 PRC has the qualities many of us build into our 7mm Rem Mag projects. I’m surprised it has taken this long for it to be released. Great platform.

Very interesting! I think I am going to have to study this out some more. It appears that I could convert my 7mm RM by "simply" swapping out the barrel (after trueing the action). I would just have to order the faster twist barrel. Correct? Dan
Bingo…. Basically replicates the old Mashburn.

I like the cartridge a lot. Ain’t much to not like with 175’s at 3000 from a factory load without a huge case and a 26” barrel. It’s what all of us guys have been trying to get to for years with Mashburns and tuned up 7 Rem Mags.

Back