7mm-08 and 150 ABLR

JohnB

Beginner
Feb 5, 2011
Initial loads for my 7-08 with the 150 ABLR. Hornady's new manual listed this charge weight with their 154 grain bullets for 2800 ft/sec. These chronographed 2849, 2855, and 2824. The first two shots are on the right, the third is on the left.

20131027_141257_zpse762ab6d.jpg

That is good for a 200 yard group, looks like you can load some up and go slay some deer.

There is nothing wrong with that group for a 200 yard round. It can only get better from this point. However, Gerry is correct that the load should hunt for you. I wouldn't hesitate to tackle game with that load.

Thanks guys. I think it will hunt too. Maybe I'll get to try a few variations before season, but it is good to know I have this load to fall back on.

JohnB

Great load. I was not really considering the ablr for my wifes 7-08. Seeing your velocities and accuracy, I think I better give them a try!

With a bit of tweaking you should be able to tighten it up a bit but like you said it is a good load to use as is.

Silentstalker

I'm excited about what this bullet can do for the 7-08. It's always been a great cartridge, but this bullet with its very high bc really opens up its long range hunting capability.

JohnB

My 120 & 140 gr NBT loads use varget. Would varget work well with the 150 or should I look to other powders for the heavier ablr?

That seems to be moving right along for a 150 in a x51 case. I might have to give that a try.

Silentstalker":6xznbbbz said:
My 120 & 140 gr NBT loads use varget. Would varget work well with the 150 or should I look to other powders for the heavier ablr?

I can't imagine why Varget wouldn't work, the 4350's would be worth looking at as well.

Silentstalker

The new Nosler manual shows a max load of 41 gr. of Varget with a 150 for 2747 ft/sec in the 7mm-08. That is with a 26 in barrel though. You may give up some velocity to the rl17 load, but I would think anything in the 2700 ft/sec or above range would be a great load. Check out the data on Nosler's website. See the link below. Varget is listed, and there several other powders that give velocities over 2800 ft/sec.

http://www.nosler.com/7mm-08-remington

JohnB

RL17 has been really good for me in my son's 7mm Mauser with 140's and 160's. On the order of 2900's with the 140's and 0 signs of pressure. I am betting the 150's will run almost the same speeds, as the 140 AB will. Might have to give them a try when I get some of them.

Great shooting JohnB. That looks like a very good load and should hammer whatever you point it at. Your right though, these high BC 150's will make the little 7's get noticed a bit more than they are already.

Nice shooting. Try seating the bullet a little deeper and you should be able to walk the last one into the group.

JD338

John, my 7-08 did pretty much the exact same thing. I even used the same seating depth. Fwiw, 48 grains shot the same and a little closer to 2900 fps. I think 48.2 or so was where I hit pressure signs.

I would have used that load, except my rifle prefers the 162 a-max at about 2700.

Thanks JD. I think you are right. I am going to try varying the seating depth.

Jason, Good to know. I wondered if 2900 was possible. I will be happy with the velocity where it is if I can tighten things up a little by changing the seating depth.

JohnB

Good luck! Seating depth adjustments didn't matter much for my rifle, but hopefully you have some success.

If you don't find a load you're totally happy with, RL17 will do 3,000 fps in my rifle with 48.5 grains and a 140 berger. I didn't venture higher, but that showed no pressure signs. And 46 grains does a bit over 2700 with a 162 a-max or 168 ablr. I ran those 162's up to nearly 2800 with no pressure signs and, once again, didn't dare go higher.

Back