7mm-08 powder choice?

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
I’ve been loading a 7-08 for years but recently picked up another one. I have 120, 140 and150 BTs, and other bullets in those weights. I have Varget, CFE223 and R17. Which powder would be best for all 3 weights or at least 2 of the weights. Been shooting R17 and like it but hear folks saying the other 2 powders are made for the 7-08. What’s your experience. Thanks

For me, up to 140 grains it's hard to go wrong with Varget. So if it was me that's what I'd start with on the first 2 weights since you have that powder. Beyond that weight I'd imagine the 4350's would be ideal.

I don't have experience with either of your other 2 powders.......CFE 223 would be somewhat faster burning than the 4350's, RL 17 would be slightly slower. So I'd guess either could be made to work well with the 150 weight and the 7-08 isn't generally fussy to begin with so you should be good.

RL17 is where it’s at for me. I’ve only ran 140 & 160 grain bullets in mine. Varget & CFE would be fine for 120’s , but for anything heavier I would want a slower burner.

I have used Varget in our 7-08 and gotten excellent accuracy. However H4895 is my go to for our 7-08. In our rifle I can load 43 gr of H4895 and get a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip to shoot one hole groups while going 3040 fps. Not a deer in the world that can handle that within reasonable distances. I have also gotten great accuracy with IMR 4064. I know I did not help much but I have never owned CFE223 or R17 so I can't attest to how they do. Hope I at least helped a little bit.

I have used Varget in our 7-08 and gotten excellent accuracy. However H4895 is my go to for our 7-08. In our rifle I can load 43 gr of H4895 and get a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip to shoot one hole groups while going 3040 fps. Not a deer in the world that can handle that within reasonable distances. I have also gotten great accuracy with IMR 4064. I know I did not help much but I have never owned CFE223 or R17 so I can't attest to how they do. Hope I at least helped a little bit.

(y)That makes sense, I don't doubt that is an excellent powder for the 120. My experience is with the 139 Hornady which for obvious reasons I would lump in with the 140 grain bullets. Varget with that weight produced of the box accuracy in several different rifles.

Hard to go wrong with Varget or Reloder 17, I personally favor 17 for the 140 class in ours. I know you didn’t mention it, but Ramshot Big Game is really good. This particular RL-17 load is around 2860 fps
View attachment 18060

Pffft. That group is big enough that if you happened to mis-time your shot and shot a deer on it's exhale instead of when it was breathing in, you might miss the aortic chamber of the heart. I wouldn't trust it. :unsure:

Perhaps all of the above advice and results just shows how well behaved the 7-08 is in general.

Pffft. That group is big enough that if you happened to mis-time your shot and shot a deer on it's exhale instead of when it was breathing in, you might miss the aortic chamber of the heart. I wouldn't trust it. :unsure:

Perhaps all of the above advice and results just shows how well behaved the 7-08 is in general.
Well you have to make exceptions that it was my “inexperienced” daughter that shot that group. 😜

H4350 and RL-17 would be my go to powders for the 7mm-08. I do have some good loads with Big Game. I’m shooting 140-150 grain bullets with these powders in multiple rifles.
In a youth model marlin rifle rl-15 and 120 gr bullets was best. With lighter bullets don’t overlook bl-c2!
I hope you can find more powders to tinker with in the near future!

Thanks everyone for your replies and first hand experience. I’m excited to get this 7-08 shooting.

Pharm,
If I could find big game locally I’d definitely do it, I’ll keep my eyes out for some. I’ve passed on it a couple times foolishly..regrets for sure

It’s the bee’s knees for the Mighty -08. I used to load for 5 7mm-08s and they all got Big Game and either 140 Partition or AccuBond, whichever shot better. Magnum primer.

Varget was #2, great accuracy but waaay less velocity.

P

I use AR2208 (Varget) with my 7/08. Great thing with the '08 is that it is so versitel when it comes to powder. I've also used AR2206H, Bnech Mark 2 (both for lighter projectiles) and of course AR2209 for heavier projectiles as well. Most people I know use AR 2208 like me and several other posters

My 7-08 will shoot just about anything I feed it. Im currently feeding it Varget and 140 gr Sierra Gameking bullets. I also have a REALLY good load with Big Game powder and a 150 gr NBT.

View attachment 18122
I use the same load for similar results in my Rem 700 using 140gn Nosler AB's....though I have no idea what my COAL is as I never measure it

Back