7mm-08 - Whitetail/Black Bear/ Hog Bullet?

firstshot

Beginner
Oct 30, 2004
I just got a new Rem 700 Mtn LSS in 7MM-08 this spring and would like to find one load that would be good for Whitetail, Black Bear, and Hogs.

I hunt in the mountains of NW Arkansas primarilly for Whitetail; however, you always stand a chance of coming across a black bear or a big hog. ( I took a nice black bear this past season while deer hunting on the first day of muzzleloader season.) Where we hunt shots over 200 Yds would be rare with most being at 150Yds or less.

I reload and so far have tried 150Grn Ballistic Tips (1-1 1/2"@100Yds). I just loaded up some 140Grn Accubonds but haven't got to shoot them yet. I'm also planning of trying some 140 & 150Grn Partitions & Solid Bases.

What 7MM-08 bullet / bullet weight would you recommend as a one size fits all for deer/bear/hogs?

firstshot
----------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Only because you included Black bear (and they can be big) 150 Partition at 2700 fps and you're done. :wink:

I would concur with Pop, 150 gr PT for Blk Bear.

Regards,

JD338

I can see where the 150 Partitions would do the trick for black bear & hogs, but will they open up enough on whitetails?

firstshot
---------------------------------

As long as striking, or impact velocity is 1800 fps or above. Basically a non-issue. :wink:

POP / martinbns / JD338

Thanks for the input. Its rare that opinions are unanimous on a question like this!

150Grn Partitions it is!! I'll pick some up, get em loaded, and see how they shoot out of my MTN LSS.

I'll keep ya posted.

firstshot
--------------------------------

firstshot,

Again, Pop is right on the money!
After you find your load, shoot a 150 gr PT into a line of 1 gal milk jugs filled with water. You will be very pleased with what you find in jug #7!

Regards,

JD338

Back