7MM 160 grain accubond problems

mwarden

Beginner
Oct 28, 2005
My freind and I both loaded 7mm magnum, 160 gr. accubonds. We used different powders, have different make rifles and live in different states. When we talked, both rifles shot 4" plus to the right with this ammo. On other ammo of various grains and makes, the windage is virtually correct. What would cause these accubonds to shoot that far to the right. I would like to try these on game animals, but I am not going to realign my scope every time I only use the accubonds.

I am hoping Nossler will reply to your message, too. I have been using 160 gr partions in my 7mm mag and love them. I have been considering using the AccuBond but would like some input also as to which is best, and why.

I just got back from a great hunting trip where one of the guys was having a terrible time sighting in his riffle. He was using Federal factory loads and they were all over the board. I was spotting for him and we just could not get them to be consistent. He then switched to Winchester factory loads and his riffle shot great. In fact, he was cutting one hole with the next bullet. This reminds us that for some reason one load will work great in one gun and not work at all in another. I don't know why, but it's true, even with factory ammo.

I shoot a .280 Ackley Improved with the 160 grain AccuBond. Chronographed @ 2950 fps. Have taked antelope deer and elk with them. The elk was @ 450 yards (range finder) a broad side shot with complete penetration and both front legs / shoulders broken. The BC is awesome. Find your pet load zero your gun and go have fun. :)

I shoot the 160 gr AB from my 280 AI, groups are in the .2's at 100 yds.
I am planning on using this load for WT deer here in MI in 2 weeks.

Regards,

JD338

I tried 160gr Accubonds for the first time this year in my 7x57AI and I couldn't be happier with the accuracy. Haven't killed anything with them yet but I'm sure they will do the trick..

Mwarden, I just fired my first 160 grain AB's today. They struck the target just about 3 1/2 inches to the right. I tried three different loads and experienced various degrees of elevation, however all three loads were to the right. Really weird. I can not explain it. 140 grain Partition bullets hit 1/2 inch to the right.

When a bullet travels down a barrel, it causes what is called harmonics. Harmonics are the vibrations of the barrel similar to a tuning fork. Bullets, brass, primers, different powders, amount of powder and bullet seating depth all affect harmonics. When one or more of these components are changed, it changes the vibration or harmonics of the barrel. When a rifle shoots well and is in "tune" the bullet leaves the muzzle at the exact point in the vibration curve as the previous shot. Therefore, if you change a component, the bullet is leaving the muzzle at a different point in the vibration curve and will change point of impact. A .001 change at the muzzle equals about 1 inch of impact change at 100 yards. Hope this helps you understand why your impact is different. If something is not quite clear, let me know and I will try to explain further.

Nothing wrong w/ the AB. It's not unusual for diff. bullets to print to a diff. POI. I see this all of the time. The barrel, bedding & bullet shape all affect downrange perf. Get a load you like & sight your rifle for it. You can't really expect to switch ammo / bullets & have the exact POI downrange. :oops:

Back