7mm Rem mag powder choice

C.Smith

Handloader
Oct 11, 2006
Right now I am using IMR 7828 for my 160 grain loads in my 7mm RM. Mostly because i has some left over from my .270 days. I have only been loading the 7mm for a little less than a month.

I would like to know if 7828 is a good powder choice for accuracy and speed or is there a better more consistant powder out there that I have not tried? I see lot's of people using RL-22 on here but I have no experience with it.

I would love any insight or help you have to offer.

Thanks,

Corey

Jd 338,

Over the last two weeks developed an amazing load for my Browning Medallion in 7MM Re. Mag. Tried H4831SC, RL22, RL19, and H1000. All were very good.

Use appropriate caution when reloading and common sense. Don't believe everything that you read. Some people like to BS and that can get you hurt.

RL22 and H1000 were the best in my sessions. 30 degrees and no wind. Best load was 72.5 graims H1000, R-P once fired, trimmed, de-burred, flash hole trued, and full length re-sized.

Federal Magnum Match primers and NOSLER 160 grain AccuBond. Three shot group at 100 yards measured .156" The best group I ever shot.

Last Wednesday night my 19 year old son Thomas took his first elk ever with this round in his Browning BBR. Very nice 6X6 Bull at 85 yards. One shot kill. On Thursday evening I tagged a nice 6X6 Bull at 125 yards. Neckshot , one shot kill. Did not recover either roumd.

Another good load, .75" was 63.0 grains of RL22. Both load chronographed over 3000 FPS.

Take your time and let the barrel cool. Spread it over a couple of days.

Enjoy and good luck. It is a marvelous caliber.

Jerry Lowery
Bend, Oregon

JD 338,

My above post should have been addressed to Corey Smith. Sorry for the mistake.

Jerry

Jerry 919

Outstanding!
Congratulations on an exceptional load and the success both you and your son have shared elk hunting.

I have freezer space available if needed. :lol:

JD338

I have been playing with Rl-22 a lot with 140g-175g bullets. I find that with my particular rifle, it tends to shoot extremely well at the lower end of the scale with 160 and 175g bullets. However, with 140g btips and 168g VLD's it shoots good loaded at the higher end. I dont really like Rl-22, its really temp and lot to lot sensitive. I was going to try either IMR-7828 or H-1000 and I ended up buying some H-1000. I tried a couple laods with Retumbo and still have a couple left to test with 160g AB's. They shot a little under 1" at 3100fps. I will be working with H-1000 and quite a few bullets to see how that powder fares with accuracy and velocity. Looking for .5" MOA and 3000fps from 160g bullets and 2850fps from 175g bullets.

Thanks everyone for your input. It looks like I will have to give RL22 a chance. H-1000 looks promising, but my number four manuel does not show any loads for it.

I supposed I need to buy the next manuel sometime though. I'm really glad I found this sight, not only does it help but it helps the blood stay flowing with all the great hunting experiences every shares.

Corey

Well you guys have me convinced to try some RL22 and 160 Accubonds in my 7mmRM. Hopefully this will be my do everything load. I'm looking for one load for this rifle.

Also I remember reading that the Accubonds have more surface area than the Partitions. Holding them side by side, I can not tell if that's true or not. Looks to be about the same to me.

Corey

start at 59 gr and work up slowly. You should get 3000 fps easily.

Thanks Pop. Also wondering what is considered slowly, one grain at atime, half grains? What would you recommend?

Corey

C.Smith":3gthi00y said:
Thanks Pop. Also wondering what is considered slowly, one grain at atime, half grains? What would you recommend?

Corey

1 full grain is ok for the 7mm mag.

Once again thanks for the replies. I will keep H1000 in mind if RL 22 does not work out. Once I find a good powder I will buy a four or eight pound jug of it.

Corey

I've switched to IMR7828 for my 7mag & .280. It gives me highest vel. & better repeatable accuracy over RL22.

Well I have been using 7828 and was looking to get a little more velocity and consistancy but fredj338, you are making wonder about my decision.

Oh well I guess that is one of joys of reloading the experimental part.

Corey

C.Smith":13w9l2l8 said:
Well I have been using 7828 and was looking to get a little more velocity and consistancy but fredj338, you are making wonder about my decision.

Oh well I guess that is one of joys of reloading the experimental part.

Corey
Ever rifle is diff. but that's just my exp. RL22 can be finicky from lot to lot. IMR7828 just gives me repatable results. I use the new 7828ssc in my .260ai, it compresses better & give me top vel. w/ exc. accuracy inder heavier bullets.

Back