7mm08 elk

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
My plan for the kids' elk gun is 7mm08 with 150 Accubonds. Let's say I can't find Nosler bullets, what would everyone's suggestion be then?

Thanks DrMike. I've seen a few suggestion to drop down to a 120 TTSX for the mono to get the speed up. I was thinking 150 ELDX would be a good practice round for the price, but it might be a decent hunting choice as well.

Over the years I’ve seen an awful lot of elk shot. A few with 243 and 6mms, a few with 25 calibers: one 250/3000: a couple 257 Roberts; 6 with a 25/06; two with a 6.5 man bun, call me old school but I was not impressed with the 6.5. While not a great scientific study it seemed to me heavy for caliber 100 gr. 243 or 120 grain bullets in the crease from a 25 at a reasonable distance worked, trying to drive them at tougher angles or through bone, tracking ensued. I am not that familiar with the ELDX though I know it has a strong following. I would look for a tough bonded bullet that does not come with the reputation to put it in the crease and your fine, elk have a reputation of not making it easy and being bullet sponges. My backup for elk this year was my 275 Rigby ( 7x57) I use 150 Accubonds as an elk load in that rifle. I think Dr. Mike’s assessment is spot on, I would go with at least 140 grain In the 7/08.
Me, I think a perfect elk rifle is a fast 33 loaded with 250 grain bullets, but I’ll be using the Rigby next year.

Over the years I’ve seen an awful lot of elk shot. A few with 243 and 6mms, a few with 25 calibers: one 250/3000: a couple 257 Roberts; 6 with a 25/06; two with a 6.5 man bun, call me old school but I was not impressed with the 6.5. While not a great scientific study it seemed to me heavy for caliber 100 gr. 243 or 120 grain bullets in the crease from a 25 at a reasonable distance worked, trying to drive them at tougher angles or through bone, tracking ensued. I am not that familiar with the ELDX though I know it has a strong following. I would look for a tough bonded bullet that does not come with the reputation to put it in the crease and your fine, elk have a reputation of not making it easy and being bullet sponges. My backup for elk this year was my 275 Rigby ( 7x57) I use 150 Accubonds as an elk load in that rifle. I think Dr. Mike’s assessment is spot on, I would go with at least 140 grain In the 7/08.
Me, I think a perfect elk rifle is a fast 33 loaded with 250 grain bullets, but I’ll be using the Rigby next year.
I'm with you, but this is my kids first rifle he's not going to be happy sending 250grs downrange. I like the sound of a 140 A Frame. I'm a 30 cal guy myself but the kids 7mm08 might be my gateway into the 7mms!

He probably wouldn’t like it at all. I don’t. First time I can remember I had to shoot my bull twice. Every time I pull the trigger snot flys out of my nose and covers the scope lens. Hell I had to wipe off the scope before I could finish him. Hate shooting that damn gun more than once. The 7x57 class of rifles are fun to shoot Old guy or young!

I shot nearly all my elk with 139 grain cup and core Hornadys. That was quite a few. Never lost one and never had to track very far. Those bullets work best when started at 7-08 velocities. They open reliably without blowing up at short ranges and hang together to penetrate when going a little slower at longer ranges. Never been a long range guy, so can't speak to that. All Dr. Mike's recommendations are spot on.

I’ve seen the results of the 139gr Hornady SST out of a 7-08 on elk at 320 yards. I would not hesitate to use the combination.

I have a savage 7-08 and I was able to work a pretty good "elk load". I used 140 gr Accubonds and Staball 6.5. Was able to get velocity of 2920 which should be plenty enough for a 7-08 elk load inside 300 yards.

My plan for the kids' elk gun is 7mm08 with 150 Accubonds. Let's say I can't find Nosler bullets, what would everyone's suggestion be then?
I have some 140 Partition. This is a copy paste of what I posted in an other thread earlier this year. I purchased them from Midway. Attached is the picture I posted.

"I have .284 Partitions with a cannelure that were listed as overruns versus seconds. My research found they were probably overruns for Federal. My research also found that the cannelure is cut into the jacket versus crimped. The cannelure on mine are smooth. No crimp looking grooves."

I have two unopened boxes of 100 each and one opened that has 45 remaining (plus 5 that I pulled and didn't mix back in). My Bergara B-14 Hunter didn't like them much with BigGame and BR2's. I'd send you the open box for free to try to help you out with your son's rifle. Then if you like them we can figure out the rest.

Attachments

• 7mm Partition with groove.jpg
    7mm Partition with groove.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 7
My wife Emma took her first elk in 2019 with a 7mm-08 flinging 140 grain Remington Corelokts. She shot the cow elk at just over 200 yards and with a double lung hit the cow took a couple of steps and then piled up. While I hardly consider that bullet ideal for elk, it is certainly adequate at closer ranges with broadside shots.

One you might consider is the 145 grain Speer Grandslam. It performs very well even at standard velocities and is typically easy to find.

Pretty much any 140-160 gr bullet that the rifle shoots accurately, and with practice, breeds confidence in the young shooter, when placed properly in the vitals at a reasonable distance (and staying clear of the heavy shoulder bone), will cleanly harvest an elk.
The old writers and guides preferred 2000 ft.lbs of energy on elk, while today's writer prefer 1500 ft.lbs.
Premium bullets will tend to penetrate better, given less than optimum shot placement. I think the premium bullets we have today that have controlled expansion and penetrate more, account for this difference.
Any cup and core bullet, placed accurately on a broadside or slightly quartering away presentation will penetrate into the vitals and give proper expansion. I like to stay with the 2000 ft.lb energy model here, and that will provide guidance on reasonable shot distances when working with new shooters and hunters. As they gain experience and skill they will be able to make their own decisions as to shot presentation and distance.
Personally, I prefer the double lung shot. Animals travel less after the shot making for easier tracking jobs and less packing!

"My backup for elk this year was my 275 Rigby ( 7x57) I use 150 Accubonds as an elk load in that rifle. I think Dr. Mike’s assessment is spot on, I would go with at least 140 grain In the 7/08."

I agree with what you're saying. My usual elk rifle has been a Mauser in .35 Whelen. However, I was play around a lot with the 7x57 Mauser round and find I like it. As I have a whole bunch of 150 gr. Nosler Partitions that's what I went with. I have a nice load at 2880 FPS that shoots sub half inch groups. Load felt slightly sticky at 100 degrees plus in the shade so cut it back to 2800 where it shows no problems. I had a cow elk hunt planned starting 1/6/20, deposit all paid and just raring to get on my way. On 1/2/20 I had a bad wreck that cost me that hunt. Chest was somewhat mangled with multiple fracture in the sternum. Seems my heart took a pretty good blow as it hurt for quite q while after the wreck. Then, on 2.27.21 I had a heart attack, and in February of this year cancer. Seems like the decade of the 2020s is trying really hard to kill me off. Well, I beat the cancer so now what? Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'd made up the 150 gr. load especially for that cow elk hunt. I called the outfitter and he no longer provided that hunt. Dunno if he and the landowner had a squabble of the lack of game on that ranch. Maybe both. On my 2019 hunt I saw quite a few bulls that were spooky as hell and only one cow which I shot at the very last minutes of the very last day of the hunt. One very bad sign was the many tracks of Mountain Lions we saw. The guide had a couple of tags for the cats and said if I shot one he'd tag it and give me the cat, all nice and legal. So the last three years I've not been able to hunt and I'd like to do one last hunt for something. The cow hunt I used to do was nice because it catered to the handicapped. Never thought it was the best way to hunt but for me it was about the only way. If I have to kick the bucket, I'd rather be doing it on a hunt rather than in some nursing home.
Paul B.

Killed a whole bunch of elk with a 7mm-08 class performance level with the 140 grain Partition
Killed elk with 140 NBT too
Primarily 7mm has been my elk caliber, and I have no regrets.
I have used 6.5's too with success: 260 Rem, 6.5-284, 6.5 Leopard, and 6.5 PRC

Read in some rag where Craig Boddingtons Daughter took a Kudu or some other LARGE African antelope with a 7mm-08. Don't remember the bullet but I'd bet it was a 140. Nobody would tell you that you were under gunned with some 130's out of a .270. Gota believe a 7mm-08 will get the job done just fine. 120 BT's have a reputation for being tough. In the right place..... CL

Back