7x57 Loads

Scotty,
+1 on the Guns & Ammo issue for this month - has a good loading article for the 7x57.

Scott

muleman":2w02zti1 said:
Scotty,
+1 on the Guns & Ammo issue for this month - has a good loading article for the 7x57.

Scott

Sweet, I will see if I can grab it at lunch.. Thanks for the heads up Scott

MuleMan - that is one sweet piece of furniture. I too like the Mannlichers.

Scotty - that rifle is going to provide excellent service for your son. Fifty years from now he'll be proudly talking about a load you worked up for him when he was barely able to shoulder that rifle. Hopefully, you'll be able to remember what load that was. :lol:

CatskillCrawler":15pnp7es said:
MuleMan - that is one sweet piece of furniture. I too like the Mannlichers.

Scotty - that rifle is going to provide excellent service for your son. Fifty years from now he'll be proudly talking about a load you worked up for him when he was barely able to shoulder that rifle. Hopefully, you'll be able to remember what load that was. :lol:

Thanks buddy! I love that little Mauser. I have a set of Forster dies for it, so I am looking forward to getting them set up for the rifle. After seeing how well this little rifle is shooting, with such little load work, I am beside myself with it. Light recoil, 2700 with 160 PT's and it handles like a dream. I am not sure why I have all these others sometimes!

DrMike":1gxwivkb said:
I am not sure why I have all these others sometimes!

Some addictions are hard to explain.

Very true words Mike. That little 7 is pretty phenomenal in my eyes. Can't wait to get it out and really tune it up.

Thank you for all the load data..

The 7 Mauser is a sweet cartridge. When it comes chambered in such an attractive package, it is just wonderful.

Without a doubt Mike. I could see it being a long time companion to my boy. Once I figure out a load for it, I will lay into components and make sure he always has plenty loaded up. Might try to get the trigger lightened a touch, but other than that, it is ready to hunt.

Had my 7x57 out yesterday for sight in and barrel break-in. What a sweet shooting rig! Went through about 20 rounds of 140gr BTs over mid-range loadings of H414. It shot several 1" groups and was a joy to shoot.
Scott

muleman":2af5q4me said:
Had my 7x57 out yesterday for sight in and barrel break-in. What a sweet shooting rig! Went through about 20 rounds of 140gr BTs over mid-range loadings of H414. It shot several 1" groups and was a joy to shoot.
Scott

I just finished shooting my boys rifle again. Seems to be doing well with 160 PTs at 2730 or so using RL17. It has a clean but heavy trigger, so I think before I do alot more I'm going to see about getting it lightened up a little. It also has a little bit of contact at the forend. Might just flat it as well and give it a bedding job. It seems pretty sensitive to heat. Give it plenty of time to cool, it'll shoot little groups, try and push it and it starts walking vertically. Not a big deal. Would rather bed it anyhow and make sure it's bedded correctly.

muleman":1rp9bp0q said:
Scott

Scott,

That is one fine looking rifle! She appears to be a shooter too.

JD338

Scotty, you change your forum ID and I actually lost you for a while. Scared me, thought you had left. FOTIS let me know you changed your ID.

Now that said, the 7x57 is awesome and man has it ever stood the test of time. I was in the beginnings of having a custom 7x57 Mauser on a 98 mauser action made for me when I decided to buy the 7mm-08 M48 TGR. Cool cartridge and what a rich history indeed behind a cartridge that caused so many changes in the rifle and cartridge world.

I have an old ruger no. 1 rsi in 7x57. Finally shot 2 boxes of rem ammo and loaded 43 gr of IMR in Remington Brass, fed LR match primer, and 150 gr nos PT's. The reloads shot great. No clue on the history of the rifle as I bought it on Gunbroker but the trigger is good and it shoots good with the cheapo rem coreloks and scary good with the IMR 4350 load.

I bought this rifle last Sept. The rifle already had an old texas made weaver V4.5. When I bought the rifle I figured I would end up putting a leupold 2-7 on it but changed my mind. I really have grown to like the old weaver. It has the crosshair with post. Glass is perfect and the scope is the same vintage as the rifle. I hunted with this rifle all season in VA. What a great combo for tree stand hunting in the woods. My new favorite caliber on my new favorite rifle.

muleman":d95u157s said:
You guys are killing me with this subject! :lol: Here is my 7x57 it's a Ruger 77RSI in stainless. I've only fired one round out of it - to get a fired case for measurements. I've got 140gr BT's over H414,IMR4350 and Hunter all ready to go and now I want to load 160 and 175 Partitions. The 140gr BT's are loaded to an OAL of 3.185(long throat on this one). Come on sunshine!

Scott
guns001.jpg

Beauty of that is you can seat them bullets way out there and really see some performance out of her. Beautiful rifle always want the 757 as a kid but for now I'm stuck with the 280 and 280AI. Maybe one day I'll build one for the heck of it.

Back