7x57 Loads

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I am looking to do a little load work with my boys 7mm Mauser. What loads have worked for you all. I am not really stuck on any one bullet right now, but will probably stick with something in the 140-150 class. Probably a 140 AB or a 150 PT actually are my first picks right now. It seems to shoot the 140's pretty well so far.

Heck, it even did okay with some 175gr RN stuff I had.

I have not loaded for the 7mm Mauser but I would think you would want to try IMR 4350 and RL19.

JD338

...I'd throw a box of 100gr. Sierra HP's in, Scotty, fer some "fun shootin'", you've got all summer, for the small difference in velocity, I'd probably go w/ the 150gr. PT for the little extra energy (assuming you get a load that satisfies ya)...

wildgene":h9ecgwez said:
...I'd throw a box of 100gr. Sierra HP's in, Scotty, fer some "fun shootin'", you've got all summer, for the small difference in velocity, I'd probably go w/ the 150gr. PT for the little extra energy (assuming you get a load that satisfies ya)...

Thats the plan. I figure a 150 at around 2700-2800 would be a good one. I will be working with this rifle a bit. Thinking it should be a good one though. It already shows that it really wants to shoot.

Scotty,
Go pick up this month's edition of Guns and Ammo.
There is an article on loading the 7x57 round.

The jest of it is H4831 and 140 - 160 gr bullets are the way to go.
I would think RL19 would be a good choice too.

Howard

HTDUCK":3v4ccual said:
Scotty,
Go pick up this month's edition of Guns and Ammo.
There is an article on loading the 7x57 round.

The jest of it is H4831 and 140 - 160 gr bullets are the way to go.
I would think RL19 would be a good choice too.

Howard

I used RL19 for the first batch of loads with the 140 BT. Netted excellent accuracy, but only at 2700 FPS. That was a pretty compressed charge. No issues with pressure at all, but I am thinking there has to be a little more FPS with the 140's. I am going to try out RL15 as well.

I have some H4831 on the bench as well, so I just might try some of them as well.

The last 7X57 I worked with devoured IMR4350 and RL19 with 160 grain PTs. With 160 grain TSX, the powders that gave me reasonable success were VN550 and IMR4831.

wildgene":rp2agm00 said:

Kinda funny I was thinking along those lines as well especially if you can get them to shoot to the same point of impact. You mentioned 2700 fps with 140's and great accuracy that sounds like a really good load that could take care of a lot of critters.

I have some 120-140 BT's, 130 Speers, 154 HDY's, 145 Speers, and 145 Speer GS's. Not sure what I am going to monkey with. Maybe the 145 Speers. I have plenty of RL15 and some IMR4350 to try as well... Ah well, I will figure something out. Keep the loads coming.

Now I gotta stock up on 140 AB's or PT's.. Whichever comes first I believe..

Now we're talking about another of my favorite cartridges. Dunno why but there is something about the ringing sounds of the name, Seven by fifty-seven. It just sounds right. Almosy poetic. :wink: With all that said, it's been an unucky cartridge for me but i'm not giving up on it yet. I'll cover that part later.
I've only done two loads for the cartridge, a 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip over a stiff charge of W760 and the 175 gr. Hornady round nose bullet over 44.0 gr. of W760, Remington brass and standard Winchester WLR primer. According to the Winchester loading booklet I have, this load does 2400 FPS from an unknown barrel length at 44,500 C.U.P. That load is very accurate in all three 7x57 rifles I own. Velocity from the 22" barrels of the Ruger #1A and Winchester M70 Featherweight run right about 2310 FPS + or- 10 FPS. That same load in my custom FN Mauser rifle does 2410 FPS. That rifle was made to match grade standards with an extremely tight chamber. My 140 gr. BT loads is just fine in the first two rifles but will lock up the bolt solid on the custom rifle. factory ammo works just fine in the custom.
Now as to the unlucky part, years back, about 1973 give or tak a year I bought a sweet little 93 Mauser that had been made into a sporter in some small British gun shop. You would have swarn it was a Rigby as it was a clone of those very nice rifles. Accurate too. When I looked for ammo in that little nevada town I was living in, I found three boxes of Federal 175 gr. round nosed ammo. Recoil was mild in that very light rifle so on opening day, off to the hills I went. About 8 in the morning I spotted a nice eating size Mule Deer and decided to take him. It was an easy shot and I know I hit it square in the chest. The deer naturally took off. I found cut off hair and a few drops of blood. A bit further on a bit more blood but the trail soon petered out. :( My wife was with me and we looked for that deer until it got too dark to look any more. :cry: I found what the coyotes left the next day.
Fast forward to about 7 years ago, I was hunting here in southern Arizona for Desert Mule Deer with my new and very accurate Winchester M70 Featherweight. The load was an early Nosler Ballistic Tip made when they were still being sold in 100 round boxes. A very accurate load from a lightweight rifle doing 2800 FPS, I figured that should put a deer down rather nicely. Well it was a broadside shot at maybe 7580 yards and I heard a very sharp crack as the bullet hit. The deer was with others headed uphill and at the shot he turned downhill and into a gully. I mesed up as in my haste to pick up the trail, had my foot roll one way while the rest of me rolled the other way and I ripped out almost all the cartilige in my right knee. :shock: It hurt like hell. Well, now I couldn't even walk. My hunting partners caught up to me and when I asked then to follow up on the deer, they refused saying I had to get to a hospital. :x Two things from that incident. I now walk with a permanent limp and I've refused to hunt with those guys every since. I was fine sitting on that hill and could have waited. I wanted my deer.
So let's look at the failures. I blame the loss on the first deer on Federal's ammo. Ammo that was/is advertised to be 2400 FPS. I ssstill had some of that ammo left over when after moving to AZ I was able to buy a chronograph. What a shock. Depending on which of my three rifles I chose, velocity was never more than 2050 FPS, and that from the tight custom Mauser. The Ruger barely made 2000 FPS and the M70 only slightly faster.
Interesting sidenote; gun writer John b
Barsness did an article not to long ago on the 7x57 and when he ran some federal 175 gr. round nose loads over the chronograph, he only got something like 2010 FPS, give or take a few FPS. The Federal bullet has only a very small amount of exposed lead on the nose. Some 175 gr. Winchester round nose ammo I have on hand have what the late John Taylor, that old Irish ivory poacher liked to call, A big blue nose." Lots of exposed lead at the nose.
Where do I plan on going with the7x57 down the road? Well, I snagged some might good deals on Nosler partitions, 6 boxes of 150 gr. .270s and 5 boxes of 150 gr. 7MM Partitions. Got them for $10 a box at a gun show. All boxes were still factory sealed. 8) After a spectacular elk kill with a 225 gr. Barnes TSX from my .35 Whelen, I also picked up 5 boxes each of the 120 and 140 gr. TSX bullets to try in the 7x57. I might even try a hunt with the 175 gr. RN loaded to duplicate the original 1893 specs just for spits and grins. For that hunt though I'll use one of my hoarded 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets.
As I grow older, hard kicking rifle are no longer as much fun as they used to be. The 7x57 kills about as well as anything else, so they say and it treats my heavily arthritic shoulder with kindness. Ammo loaded to the same pressure level as say a .270 Win. is more than adequate for most any hunting I'll do in the future. At age 73, I'm hoping the Good Lord will allow me a few more hunting seasons before i have to go.
Paul B.

PJGunner":vl1pofxr said:
Now we're talking about another of my favorite cartridges. Dunno why but there is something about the ringing sounds of the name, Seven by fifty-seven. It just sounds right. Almosy poetic. :wink: With all that said, it's been an unucky cartridge for me but i'm not giving up on it yet. I'll cover that part later.
I've only done two loads for the cartridge, a 140 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip over a stiff charge of W760 and the 175 gr. Hornady round nose bullet over 44.0 gr. of W760, Remington brass and standard Winchester WLR primer. According to the Winchester loading booklet I have, this load does 2400 FPS from an unknown barrel length at 44,500 C.U.P. That load is very accurate in all three 7x57 rifles I own. Velocity from the 22" barrels of the Ruger #1A and Winchester M70 Featherweight run right about 2310 FPS + or- 10 FPS. That same load in my custom FN Mauser rifle does 2410 FPS. That rifle was made to match grade standards with an extremely tight chamber. My 140 gr. BT loads is just fine in the first two rifles but will lock up the bolt solid on the custom rifle. factory ammo works just fine in the custom.
Now as to the unlucky part, years back, about 1973 give or tak a year I bought a sweet little 93 Mauser that had been made into a sporter in some small British gun shop. You would have swarn it was a Rigby as it was a clone of those very nice rifles. Accurate too. When I looked for ammo in that little nevada town I was living in, I found three boxes of Federal 175 gr. round nosed ammo. Recoil was mild in that very light rifle so on opening day, off to the hills I went. About 8 in the morning I spotted a nice eating size Mule Deer and decided to take him. It was an easy shot and I know I hit it square in the chest. The deer naturally took off. I found cut off hair and a few drops of blood. A bit further on a bit more blood but the trail soon petered out. :( My wife was with me and we looked for that deer until it got too dark to look any more. :cry: I found what the coyotes left the next day.
Fast forward to about 7 years ago, I was hunting here in southern Arizona for Desert Mule Deer with my new and very accurate Winchester M70 Featherweight. The load was an early Nosler Ballistic Tip made when they were still being sold in 100 round boxes. A very accurate load from a lightweight rifle doing 2800 FPS, I figured that should put a deer down rather nicely. Well it was a broadside shot at maybe 7580 yards and I heard a very sharp crack as the bullet hit. The deer was with others headed uphill and at the shot he turned downhill and into a gully. I mesed up as in my haste to pick up the trail, had my foot roll one way while the rest of me rolled the other way and I ripped out almost all the cartilige in my right knee. :shock: It hurt like hell. Well, now I couldn't even walk. My hunting partners caught up to me and when I asked then to follow up on the deer, they refused saying I had to get to a hospital. :x Two things from that incident. I now walk with a permanent limp and I've refused to hunt with those guys every since. I was fine sitting on that hill and could have waited. I wanted my deer.
So let's look at the failures. I blame the loss on the first deer on Federal's ammo. Ammo that was/is advertised to be 2400 FPS. I ssstill had some of that ammo left over when after moving to AZ I was able to buy a chronograph. What a shock. Depending on which of my three rifles I chose, velocity was never more than 2050 FPS, and that from the tight custom Mauser. The Ruger barely made 2000 FPS and the M70 only slightly faster.
Interesting sidenote; gun writer John b
Barsness did an article not to long ago on the 7x57 and when he ran some federal 175 gr. round nose loads over the chronograph, he only got something like 2010 FPS, give or take a few FPS. The Federal bullet has only a very small amount of exposed lead on the nose. Some 175 gr. Winchester round nose ammo I have on hand have what the late John Taylor, that old Irish ivory poacher liked to call, A big blue nose." Lots of exposed lead at the nose.
Where do I plan on going with the7x57 down the road? Well, I snagged some might good deals on Nosler partitions, 6 boxes of 150 gr. .270s and 5 boxes of 150 gr. 7MM Partitions. Got them for $10 a box at a gun show. All boxes were still factory sealed. 8) After a spectacular elk kill with a 225 gr. Barnes TSX from my .35 Whelen, I also picked up 5 boxes each of the 120 and 140 gr. TSX bullets to try in the 7x57. I might even try a hunt with the 175 gr. RN loaded to duplicate the original 1893 specs just for spits and grins. For that hunt though I'll use one of my hoarded 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets.
As I grow older, hard kicking rifle are no longer as much fun as they used to be. The 7x57 kills about as well as anything else, so they say and it treats my heavily arthritic shoulder with kindness. Ammo loaded to the same pressure level as say a .270 Win. is more than adequate for most any hunting I'll do in the future. At age 73, I'm hoping the Good Lord will allow me a few more hunting seasons before i have to go.
Paul B.

I have some old Remington 175gr RN's that I shot through the rifle in order to zero it before starting with load work. Just out of curiosity, I ran them over the chrono to see what they were doing. They ran 2346, 2318, 2358 out of the Featherweight. They were also pretty accurate. Kinda got my gears turning a little. Might just have to grab some old 175 RN's to monkey around with. It would make a great close range bear load. Heck, it would shoot plenty flat to 250 anyhow.

IMG_0829.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

I wished I would have saved one to run into the water jugs, but I imagine I could recreate them with a little load work.

I looked W760 today while picking up some other powders, matter of fact I grabbed a can of W748 for the 358.. I wished I would have grabbed it. I just loaded up some 145gr Speer BT's with RL17. Looking at the data, it seems like it should be a good one as well. Lots of folks are raving about it in the 7-08 so I would think it would work okay in the 7x57. We shall see the next time I hit the range.

How about some 175gr Partitions those things will penetrate into next week :)

gerry":3f6sdorm said:
How about some 175gr Partitions those things will penetrate into next week :)

I just happen to have 3 bags of them on the shelf. I might be guilted into trying them out a little. What a moose round huh Jerry.... They would have to be impressive, even if they were only started at 2400FPS or so... Just might have to try them out as well..

Back to the loading bench!

I'm telling ya', Scotty, even the 160 PT will do a number on moose, elk and bear.

Well, I happen to have a bunch of them as well Mike. Jeeze, so many choices... Back to the loading bench, now I have to decide on the 160 PT's or the 175 PT's for cool factor! You guys are trying to where me out!

Scotty,

I think the 160 gr PT wold be an excellent bullet for deep penetration. I think you should get 2600 fps which would be a potent load for anything you would hunt with the 7mm Mauser.

JD338

I might have to find some 175 RNs to play with. I'm shooting 160's in the 7WSM so I need to find something else to capture my attention. I will be on the search for 175's tomorrow. Those might be fun.

I may have to invest in QL before too long. I imagine I'm starting to wear Mike out with all the possibilities.

Say the word, and we'll work out the particulars. I still like the 160 PT in that little rifle.

Mike, if you would be so inclined could you please show me some 175 and 160 data for the little rifle. I appreciate it a ton. Alliant showed almost 2600 with a 175 using RL22. I kinda think a 160 at around 2600 should be possible. It would make a sweet rifle with 160 PTs. I'm pretty jealous of my boy, that rifle looks like so much fun to handle!

He wouldn't even trade me for the Whelen, do you believe that? Dang boy won't hardly have anything to do with a rifle that doesn't have Winchester stamped on it.

Back