9.3X64 and 250 grain AB

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I spend a little time at the range this morning. I wanted to ensure that my 9.3X64 was dialed in. I previously worked up some loads built around 250 grain ABs. I loaded up fifty and went to the range to prove them, together with some other loads. I think they will work.

93X64250AB.jpg

The group on the far left is the initial three shot group. I then dialed in my scope and shot the upper bullseye. I think I'm good to go. Velocity is ~2700 +/- 14 fps. I think it will take down an elk ... if I can just get away to do it. Consequently, the group to the far right is another load that I was working on.

I was also shooting a 300WSM that has given me a bit of trouble. I previously work up a load for the owner, built around 168 grain TTSX. It was shooting little, bitty groups. The owner changed scopes, and suddenly the same load was shooting 1.5 inch groups for him. I checked out his contention, and he was correct. He had changed from a Zeiss Conquest to a Trijicon, and the scope appeared to be working fine. I reworked the load, increasing the charge in 0.5 grain increments. Here are the results.

300WSM168TTSX.jpg

As the charge is increased from what I had previously registered as maximum, the groups tighten significantly. I'll rework these loads next week and verify these results. If these results are correct, the rifle "suddenly" needs a grain more charge? I'm going to have to process this information.

These are some good results, but it was a trying day, otherwise. I managed to get a 300 grain A-Frame stuck in the lands, pulling it from the case in one test. Of course, this dumped all the powder into my magazine. Of course, this necessitated tearing the rifle down and cleaning. It wasn't much help. However, it also ensure that one tiny granule of RL15 worked its way into the firing pin passage. Several rounds went CLICK when I pulled the trigger. Do you realise how loud a click can be despite wearing ear plugs and ear muffs? I managed to work this problem out and I'm good to go again. There was the little matter of two 250 grain ABs nicking the top of the plastic housing on my Oehler 35. I'll say this for Oehlers--they are tough. There are two distinct grooves cut into the proof channel. It is still working beautifully. I don't believe they are insured against bullet holes, however. :oops:

We have all had those days Mike. Could that rifle have some throat erosion? Or is it possible the powder was old or acquired some moisture? That's all I can think of.

Were the scopes on the puzzle rifle close to the same size, and using the same mounts or different? I have an up-until-now unspoken theory that scope movement and vibration, and also scope weight and weight distribution, may have effects on the actual barrel/action harmonics. In some cases. Maybe. Please go shoot something with hide on it now!! :lol:
EE2

Inspite of a couple minor set backs I would think those elk better start an early migration away from them 250 AB,s. Awsome group. Glad your chrony survived the nicks.

Mike,

Sounds like she is a shooter and ready for an elk.
Post a picture of one of the 9.3x64 rounds loaded up with a 250 gr AB.

JD338

Jake, same bottle of powder. It is fairly new and uncontaminated. I can't verify that the two scopes didn't somehow alter the action somehow. I did not mount either one and I'm not certain whether this particular rifle is pillar bedded or not. It is a semi-custom job, and it is capable of shooting quite well. I have never run into this particular situation, so I was somewhat mystified. If the results hold over a couple of returns to the range, I scored and won the battle. If not... I do have several other loads ready to go for this rifle. However, I would like to stay with RL15 for this particular rifle. All the SDs are tight, which would lead me to think of playing with seating depth if it begins to wander. Jim, I will post some pictures of the loaded rounds a little later this evening. They are pretty serious looking medicine.

Hi Mike, were you sitting in your usual seat at the range? 8) I believe that you have another rifle tuned to perfection. It is always nice to see a craftsman apply his trade :)
We hit my chrony 3 times in one shooting session and it still works well.
Wondering if you have been able to get out to try and fill that Elk tag of yours?

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

Same seat. I instructed the maintenance director to remove six inches of dirt in front of the benches, moving the dirt to the berms. He agreed. My bad. I did order new plastic for the Oehler. It works fine; it just isn't pretty. :shock: I'm heading out tomorrow (d.v.) to try to fill my elk tag and whitetail tag. It is supposed to snow (up to 15 cm) tonight. That should make it easy to track them, if they move at all.

Good Luck Mike, I hope that it has started to firm up there or 15 cm will turn to soup by noon :(.
Text with the guys up north today for open bull Moose and they advised that they got another 40mm of rain today. Stated that even the quads are really starting to slide around. I hate to say it but we need a good couple of days of minus 10 to firm up the mud.
Looking forward to your story & photos.
Have fun, be safe & shoot straight my friend :)

Blessings,
Dan

Good luck, DrMike with the hunt. I figured that it might snow there. It has been in the 40*F's and raining here for three days, the usual "Seattle Sunshine" of October.

Charlie, when you heading to a sunnier climate like a 1000 miles east of you?
That warmth is got to feel better than the dampness of the coast. Not trying to make you move just thinking and we know that can be real dangerous with me :roll:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

Looks like below 0 for at least the next week. The temperature starts dropping, falling to -21 by the 29th. Then, a brief warming trend before falling again. Hey, it will make tracking easier.

sask boy":3o6gvzk2 said:
Charlie, when you heading to a sunnier climate like a 1000 miles east of you?
That warmth is got to feel better than the dampness of the coast. Not trying to make you move just thinking and we know that can be real dangerous with me :roll:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, We own a lot in central Oregon but with Obamanomics in force here in Washington our house here went down, foreclosures are still covering the market and we can not sell it. So for the present, we are stuck. I lived in Salt Lake for 18 years and like the dry climate but it is too cold for my trashed lungs now. Central Oregon it is, someday!

DrMike":30dvab0n said:
Dan,

Same seat. I instructed the maintenance director to remove six inches of dirt in front of the benches, moving the dirt to the berms. He agreed. My bad. I did order new plastic for the Oehler. It works fine; it just isn't pretty. :shock: I'm heading out tomorrow (d.v.) to try to fill my elk tag and whitetail tag. It is supposed to snow (up to 15 cm) tonight. That should make it easy to track them, if they move at all.

Anxious for that next hunting report from the most envied guy on the forum!! BTW, I just removed the pellet that has been rattling around inside my chronograph. My Prochrono doesn't lend itself to user dismantling - I had to twist and turn and shake it like a kid getting the last quarter from a piggy bank. The pellet had a perfect mushroom, impact velocity 825 fps. Will not post it in the bullet tests.... :wink:

Have a great hunt DrMike!!
EE2

All right, I'll be waiting until this evening or tomorrow morning. It is 1 C and raining. It would be miserable sitting in the rain. I'll wait as this is supposed to turn to snow. I can't see the animals moving in this rain. The elk (and whitetails) will be holding tight in dark timber. Plus, I'm turning into a certified wuss. So, today will become a bench day. I have a new 300 Win Mag which is waiting on me at the shop and I need to rework some other test loads for this Brenneke. While I may not pull the trigger on it (it is wet at the range as well), it will be ready to go sometime next week when I'm able to get out.

I just looked out the window, and the first sign of snow is showing on the roof of the house next door. It will be wet and miserable, but by tonight or tomorrow morning movement should be much better. I was slogging through six inches of snow last Friday when I hunted, but it has mostly melted now. This snow is much wetter, which is just that much more miserable.

Back