99 HH Grendel

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
I ordered some 99 grain Hammer Hunters for use in the Grendel. Seems 8208 is the preferred powder, but It's nowhere to be found. On my bench I currently the following that I've found success with using heavier projectiles, and wondering if someone has some insight, or even a WAG for these 99 grainers in the little grendel.
CFE-223
Benchmark
H335
Leverevolution
TAC

My money is on Benchmark and H335

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. 12% off until the end of the to boot.
I’m going to let my grandson use it for his first whitetail hunt. It’s an AR, and I’m a little concerned he’ll get excited and forget it loaded another round and ready to go again, so I plan on turning the adjustable gas block off so he’ll have to rack the charging handle to chamber another round. I’ll be right beside him at all times.

You could also just load the magazine with 1 round. When fired, the action would stay open.
Then you don't have to mess with the gas block.

JD338
I thought about that, but just in case a quick follow up shop is needed it would be quicker just to pull the charging handle. This gas block takes about 5 seconds to adjust with an Allen key through the floating hand guard.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 4
I ordered some 99 grain Hammer Hunters for use in the Grendel. Seems 8208 is the preferred powder, but It's nowhere to be found. On my bench I currently the following that I've found success with using heavier projectiles, and wondering if someone has some insight, or even a WAG for these 99 grainers in the little grendel.
CFE-223
Benchmark
H335
Leverevolution
TAC

My money is on Benchmark and H335
I had reasonable results with TAC under 100 gr. Nosler Partitions though I didn’t have any of the other powders you listed. I suspect you are right on Benchmark and H335 with the 99 gr. bullet. I switched to heavier bullets so using powder other than TAC.

I had reasonable results with TAC under 100 gr. Nosler Partitions though I didn’t have any of the other powders you listed. I suspect you are right on Benchmark and H335 with the 99 gr. bullet. I switched to heavier bullets so using powder other than TAC.
Tac has proven a real solid choice with the 120 and 123. Leverevolution does great with 123 and up. Interestingly GRT shows TAC as velocity champ, but that’s at 103% case fill.

8208 has been discontinued from what I have heard, and is no longer on the website.

Edit: I stand corrected, it is listed on the website, but out of stock. could not find it there first of the month.

Last edited:
Back