A bit of the Old and some of the New

Those are fine binos, that's for sure. The old Beesa should be interesting to work with. We see quite a few of them floating around here, and many of them shoot quite well.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for your kind comments Dr Mike!
I have a thing for post WWII sporting Rifles, and these Beesa's fit into this field.

Regards
Homer

I understand that completely. I searched for a decade to find a good example of the Ross rifle chambered in 280 Ross. I had the 303 Ross for quite a few years. It was the thought of working with a bit of Canadian history that excited me. The Leica glass is excellent. I had the older model, and it was (and is) excellent. I now have the Swarovski range finder, and it is great. However, I don't know that it is better than the Leica. I love them both.

G'Day Dr Mike,

Those Ross rifles would be something to behold!
Yes, I'm the same, I appreciate both the historical aspect of the firearms themselves and also, the Engineering side of their mass production......back then.
No Tungsten Carbide or High Speed Steel (HSS) cutters, just Carbon Steel cutters, and they built and saved Nations with these, and a serious public will to achieve the best!!!

Yes, I also still have both my 10x42 BA Leica's and also a Leica Range Finder, that the new one's replaced.
A young mate of mine possibly wants them, so I will hold onto them until he has the $............
At my age, my eyes are not able to tell the difference between Swarovski and Leica optics.
They are both Best Quality optical equipment but Leica is easier to say, so..........LOL!

Regards
Homer

Like you, I too have a thing for vintage sporters and military arms. My favorite one out there is the Rem 722. Don't know if they show up on your side of the pond, but they are a very fine rifle in some great calibers. Also look into a Swiss K-31. Uses standard 7.62 projectiles and common powders. I know they show up in Australia, some shooters from over there on Surplusrifle have them.

I've also been curious lately about some of the between war semi-autos and slide actions. The Rem 81 .300 Sav and Rem slide .35 are on my want list, especially with my new heavily forested hunting property.

For now I have to be satisfied with my vintage M1917 sporter and Grandpa's M99 Savage in .300.

That BSA should be interesting to play with. Standard barrel threads?

And Dr. Mike, a Ross is very high on my wish list. They don't turn up too often this side of the border though, and when they do they are usually in poor shape.

G'Day Fella's,

Polaris, unfortunately the Remington M 721 and 722 and so many of the older Remington types, are very rare down here.
Despite working in the firearms industry for years, I don't think I have ever physically handled one (722)?
Very very occasionally, you might see one advertised on www.usedguns.com.au

Polaris, I'm not to sure about the Swiss K-31 either?

To the best of my knowledge, this BSA Hunter, should have a 1.120" x 12 TPI 60* thread.

I have a near new 0.308" (1 in 10") barrel, already chambered for the 7.62 x 39 (M43), and I'm tempted to rebarrel the Beesa to this?
I could also have the old Beesa .222 Rem barrel, re-bored to 0.308" with a 1 in 7" or 8" and then chamber it to the 7.62 x 39 also???
I also have some 10 shot detachable mags for this cartridge, so it would make for a great little light Hunting and plinking rifle.

Decisions Decisions........................

Doh!
Homer

Polaris":2v5f4m2k said:
Dr. Mike, a Ross is very high on my wish list. They don't turn up too often this side of the border though, and when they do they are usually in poor shape.

To find these two that I own, I had to pass on a lot of junk at overly optimistic prices. Surprisingly delightful rifles.

7.62X39 would be a cool plinker, as would .300 blackout with a fast twist. 6mm PPC might be fun.

You say it will take a .308 length round, that leaves a lot of interesting options. 250 Savage, .300 Savage, to stay with the vintage vein.

No K-31s but they do have some Model 1911 in stock in addition to many other interesting "old" guns. The 1911 is a very similar rifle to the K-31. They are all extremely accurate for a service rifle... http://www.lawranceordnance.com/shot_an ... .php#swiss

G'Day Fella's,

Polaris, I may have miss represented this rifle's size a bit?
The magazine length on this little Beesa, is a bit shorter than required for a .308Win.

With a bit of work, it will accept detachable AR magazine, and I have a few AR mags for the 7.62x39. So that maybe where I go with this?
I'm no fan of the .300AAC Black Out, so I would rather go with the x39 cartridge.......
I already have a near new .30 calibre (0.308" groove Dia) barrel, chambered for the x39 cartridge, so I might go that way?

Doh!
Homer

DrMike":2k8dpgxf said:
I understand that completely. I searched for a decade to find a good example of the Ross rifle chambered in 280 Ross. I had the 303 Ross for quite a few years. It was the thought of working with a bit of Canadian history that excited me.

Me too!.

Have you ever read `A rifleman went to war`(1935) by Herbert McBride?..

Many years ago I bought the book called `The Ross rifle story`(1984) by Phillips, Dupuis & Chadwick. A must-have-book for anyone who are into Pre WW1 gunhistory and Ross rifles.

Indeed, I have the book and have read it. It was graciously given to me as a gift from a regular on this forum. Fascinating book. I have also read "The Ross Rifle Story."

Back