A Small Spring Bear

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Packed into the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness in Idaho last week with Cameron Outfitters. Same place I hunted last year. I didn't even see a bear in a week of hunting last year, but I got a small black bear on the second day this time. Shot was only about 65 yards. I'd never taken a bear over bait before, and it's an interesting, peaceful way to hunt.

From the blind I saw many whitetail deer, one big bull elk at about 20 yards too! Looks like he's going to be a 5x5 when he's done growing antlers this year.

Then it rained most of the second afternoon. Gore Tex kept me dry. After the rain stopped, about 8:10 pm, a small bear showed up at the bait site. I hesitated about long enough to steady the crosshairs and double-lunged the bear. She ran about 20 yards and was done.

Heck of an adventure, and a fairly easy hunt. Maybe next time I'll hold out for a bigger bear. This is easily the smallest bear I've ever shot! Ah well. The 30-06 was more than sufficient.

BTW, in this area non-resident bear tags are only $41, Idaho is trying to reduce the number of predators in the area to help the elk population rebound.

Oh - I forgot to mention the outfitter when I posted yesterday. Here's a link. Gary and Sherri Cameron from Texas, bought an outfitting business, moved up to Montana and Idaho and hire a few folks outside their family. They're about the friendliest, nicest people! Four of the guides are their own sons, a cousin does much of the cooking - and so on. Good folks:

Guy

Last edited:
That appears to have been a great hunt, Guy. Congratulations on a handsome sow. She may be small, but she will provide a fine pelt and some excellent dining.

Oh - I forgot to mention the outfitter when I posted yesterday. Here's a link. Gary and Sherri Cameron from Texas, bought an outfitting business, moved up to Montana and Idaho and hire a few folks outside their family. They're about the friendliest, nicest people! Four of the guides are their own sons, a cousin does much of the cooking - and so on. Good folks:

Guy, congratulations on a successful hunt. What bullet did you use in the 30-06?

Back