ABLR

phil

Beginner
Jan 4, 2023
I’ve always wanted to try these but…seems some people can never get in a comfortable groove with them. And yet others say they are simple to tune!
im looking for general recs to apply here, concerning seating depth. And anything else pertinent.
looking at the 6.5 142 gr specifically, and I’m thinking I should be 3200fps or close, with a 6.5 Sherman Max 26”/7.5 tw
Thank you for data.!

Fully agree with JD338. I have loaded the 142 ABLR in 6.5 PRC with success at 3000fps. Seating bullets with 50 to 100 thousands off lands is where they like to be. They actually shoot like solids...love the jump to throat.

I've only done limited tests with the 150 gr, ABLR in there 7x57 rifles and a .280 Remington. So far results have not been to my liking. I really wasn't interested in them for the .280 although they'd be OK for deer but based on conversations with my guides on various elk hunts, I was told that if too fast they were messy within 200 yards. The said they were at times like hand grenades. If they were that fragile, then they should work quite well at the lesser 7x57 velocities, yet still benefit from the high BC when ranges stretch out some. So far, I can get the speed but not the accuracy. This from a rifle that averages .50 to .75" depending on the bullet in use. The ABLR has yet to pass 2.0 to 2.5" at 100 yards. The Ruger #1 A runs right at 2.0" and a custom Mauser has developed a problem that may require some serious gunsmithing. I can't find out until I find another gunsnith. My regular one for many years has passed on and has not been replaced.
Paul B.

I do appreciate the first hand knowledge you share. After I get this Bartlein loose I’m going to give them a serious go.
pulled my LE Wilson seater out today, and realized it’s not the Mic version.
But the lathe is only a few miles away to get that fixed, thankfully, when the new one arrives.
I seated about 30 today at the neck-shoulder junction and got about 30 shots through it, amidst the cleanings.
never even measured the distance to lands. Shot .75 to 1.5 “ groups at 100 just to get a feel for everything, around 300-400 fps below full power loads.

What increment do you move at a time? Like .010-.015 at first then maybe .003?

Phil,

Here is a link to some testing I did with the 7mm 150 ABLR a few years ago.
Thread '7mm 150 gr ABLR' https://forum.nosler.com/threads/7mm-150-gr-ablr.25378/

Link to 6.5mm 129 gr ABLR
Thread '129 gr ABLR' https://forum.nosler.com/threads/129-gr-ablr.38911/

There is more info on the Bullet Section.
The ABLR is a solid winner.

JD338
How was the accuracy on the ABLR? I remember my 7 Mag was too fussy with it that i gave up on it. I like to try them in the Creed and the 6.5 x 284.

Got it repeating today from 1/2-3/4” at 100. 50 shots fired on new barrel now.
Moving to 300 this week hopefully, kept powder and primer constant and just went deeper and watched it tighten up.👍
Taking it easy on the new brass, 300 fps under max at least.
For a little while…

Moving to 300 this week hopefully, kept powder and primer constant and just went deeper and watched it tighten up.👍
For a little while…
You are on your way. It won't be long now and you will be shooting some great groups as well.
On game results are impressive too.
Good job 👍

JD338

Is the jacket material used on ABLR softer than what is used on BT/AB?
I know it’s a new barrel but I’m still getting a good bit of copper, now. And I’m cleaning every 10 after starting out at 1-3 shot intervals. new territory for me with this bullet, so I’m full of questions here. Thank you again for the answers!

For a little while…
Excellent.
How many thou are you off the lands right now?

Back