ABs and Coues Whitetail

BP736

Beginner
Oct 7, 2008
Hey guys,
Still kind of new here. I thought I would share my hunting trip from the past weekend. My dad and I spent the weekend hunting Coues Whitetail in northern AZ. If you aren't familiar with coues deer, they are only found in AZ, NM and Mexico. They are much smaller than eastern whitetail. A HUGE buck might weigh 120 pounds field dressed. 80-90 is more common. Anything over 100 B&C is a really nice deer. On opening morning we found a nice buck that my dad was able take at 304 yards. He was shooting a stainless 700 .280 Rem. I loaded 140 ABs with 58 grains of RL22. for a velocity of 3000 fps. I was not able to recover the bullet because it passed through. The second day I shot a nice buck at a tank. Not my favorite way to hunt with a rifle, but it worked. I shot my buck at 40 yards with a Ruger No. 1 .280 Rem. I am shooting the same load as my dad. This is where my story gets interesting... I shot 1 time and hit it behind the shoulder. When the deer was hit, it lunged 10 feet into the tank and "dog paddled" for about 3 or 4 strokes, almost to the middle, and died there. I wasn't sure if it had died from my bullet, or if it had drowned, LOL. I had to wade into the pond and retrive it with a long stick that I found. My bullet passed right through as well (I don't think it even slowed down at 40 yards). We had a great weekend hunting deer and making memories.
http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv21 ... mview=grid
p.s. This is my first time loading pics... not sure if I did it right.

Congratulations on a couple of fine Coues deer. It is great that you were able to share the hunt with your Dad, and use the same cartridge. The 280 is a phenomenal cartridge, and just right for that hunt.

Congratulations! I hear that those little rascals are very difficult to hunt.

That's a terrific looking buck! Getting him mounted for on the wall?

Congrats on two nice deer and the pictures to share. Did you check the tank for any other bucks hiding in it :grin: It's nice to share a hunt with your dad. Thanks again
Greg

Congratulations! Someday I will be there too!

BP736

Congratulations on your Coues deer.

JD338

Congratulations on two nice deer. And thanks for shareing a great story.

Corey

BP,
A huge congrats on your two grey ghosts !
I know what you mean about there size.... I took a doe with my bow about 15yrs ago.... basically hog-tied her and carried her out over my shoulder...

Again Congrats !!

My buddy went a few years back and he'd been bugging me to go with him next time. This is one hunt I always wanted to do. Hopefully It'll happen next year. Congrats for both of you and your Dad. 280!!! no one shoots that cartridge here you know. :wink:

Very nice indeed. They are a lot harder to hunt than muley. Your dad made a good shot shooting coues over 300yds away. Looks like your hand loads did the job in spades. Very nice in deed and I know you and your dad had a lot of fun. Great pictures also.

Great pictures. Man, I can't believe that 280 actually worked on them little deer, I thought they were for coyotes and such! HA. Just kidding. Great shooting. Scotty

Congrats on a couple of nice bucks.
Real glad to see you got out with your dad, those memories can not be taken away.

Blessings,
Dan

Very nice!! I've always heard that the Cous was a smaller deer but had not seen one in a photo like that for reference. That would make for a small kill zone way out there like that. Great shooting!

Back