Accubond alternatives

Rol-P

Beginner
Jun 7, 2022
With the scarcity of and high price of Nosler Accubonds when found what reliably available and reasonably priced alternatives are folks turning to? I am resisting going lead free and would appreciate any thoughts for continuing to shoot as I enjoy the challenge of small groups and hunting with accurate loads. All suggestions are appreciated. Rol

With the scarcity of and high price of Nosler Accubonds when found what reliably available and reasonably priced alternatives are folks turning to? I am resisting going lead free and would appreciate any thoughts for continuing to shoot as I enjoy the challenge of small groups and hunting with accurate loads. All suggestions are appreciated. Rol
Rol,

The 180 gr AB is available from Shooters Pro Shop

Stock up and you are set to go.
I shoot factory seconds when ever possible. Some of my best groups were shot with seconds. On game performance is great. FWIW, both my wife and I used seconds on our moose hunt and we both got our moose.

I also wouldn't hesitate to use the 180 gr BT for elk and deer. The 180 BT has a very robust jacket.

JD338

Every now and then SPS has Accubonds show up for a little while. The monos seem to show up with regularity and are easy to get. Interbonds and the federal bonded would be a solid choice, but they are rare right now. The Norma oryx is a great bullet that’s been showing up recently. If I was completely steering away from the AccuBond, and couldn’t get the interbond, and didn’t want to go with monos, that would probably be the bullet I’d choose. It’s just not a sleek and sexy and the AB. I just looked at Hammers and placed an order. They have a big followng that love them, although they are monos.

I'm a mono guy... light and fast puts em down.

However, I'll always love the trophy bonded bear claw and its successors - Trophy Bonded tipped and Terminal Ascent.

Slowly transitioning to TTSX and Hammer bullets. They are affordable, super accurate and available.
I'm starting to go this way as well. .375 cal Nosler bullets are non existent. If you do fine some, the price is outrageous. There are options out there for top performance in accuracy, expansion and penetration without the $1.50-2.00 per bullet price tag. Just got a couple boxes of Barnes 270 LRX. It's a 1 load for anything kind of bullet.

JD338

Slowly transitioning to TTSX and Hammer bullets. They are affordable, super accurate and available.
I made the transition whenever I built my 25-06 a couple years ago.
If you can, try out the LRX as well.

I just checked my go-to shop in Germany and almost fell over backwards when I saw the current AB price.

I use lead free for about 10 years now and used the AB before.
Never looked back and with AB being more expensive than e.g. Barnes never will.
My .308 (30-06) bullet is way cheaper and never let me down.

Even though I have a good stock on hand for the calibers I shoot them in, Accubonds are strictly hunting bullets for me now. I use Ballistic Tips to work the load and just verify with a few Accubonds. The only thing different is the seating depth of the loads in all my rifles. They shoot the same otherwise.
That being said there's a lot of good suggestions here.
For range practice I've started using a lot of Speers. I get good accuracy for the loads I've worked so far with them for 1/4 the price of the "premiums".

I've had reasonably good success with Federal Fusion and for that matter, the plain old "blue box" ammo does reasonably well given it's price point and availability.

Hornady interbond, norma bondstrike
Federal terminal ascent also
Forgot to mention, Scirocco IIs

I haven't used the Bondstrike, but have no doubt it isn't great. I was and probably still am a faithful Nosler guy, but man they are charging a whole pile more than the others, and heck, that's even if you can get them. Waiting around for bullets these days is silly to me, sooooo many great ones out there.

Swift Scirocco's are probably my number one favorite bonded bullet these days.

I used a ton of Sciroccos during the days of commercial loading. They sure worked for me.

I did get the 150 grain ABLR working in one of my 280s. I managed to tag a decent mulie and a good elk with one shot for each from that rifle. Other cartridges, well, as you say the ABLR is somewhat "touchy."

Back