Accubond weight retention ??

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
I've been wanting to try the AccuBond bullets in my elk rifles , .375 and .338 but all the articles I read say they have a bullet weight retention in the 60 to 70% range at close range, magnum velocities. I would love the better bullett co-efficient but I,m a little afraid of break up if I'm lucky enough to have a close shot. What do Nosler , or some experienced shooters, think ? :?:

the odds of finding a AccuBond from a close range shot are not likely. But if you do you will find that even at 60% this is a very high weight retention for any bullet at close range from a magnum rifle. I would put it all on the line with an AccuBond, and do. :lol: I shoot then in all my guns except my 224 tth (because the dont build one). Have no fears it is an awesome bullet from my field tests. I have yet to recover one and it puts em down hard.

Dusty Shelhamer
Big Spring TX

Especially in those heavy weights, the AB will hold together. I shot numerous game the last 2 years with it. In fact we did a test on Hogs in Texas, shot one at about 10 feet (Texas Heart Shot) Found it in the skull.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll be trying accubonds out on my next hunt. I'm really looking forward to the increased accuracy and trajectory. Where I hunt in Idaho you either knock em down quick on the ridge top or carry em up slow from the bottom of ( your worst nightmare ) canyon. The shots are mostly in the 250++ yard range but there is heavy timber also so the AccuBond should be perfect.:grin:

Greg, I haven't taken game w/ the NAB yet but wet pack test alongside same weight partitions show that the NAB expands a bit more & penetrates a bit less w/ weight retention hust about the same as th Partition. I don't think you can get one to come apart or breakup. I am loading the 225gr in my .338x74 @ 2800fps. I hope to get a shot @ a hog in a couple weeks.

Back