Accubonds

tnarb

Beginner
Nov 1, 2016
Hey there first post, have already found a lot of good information. I have recently got into reloading. A buddy of mine had been doing it for years and I watched and wanted to get involved.
I have fallen in love with the AccuBond line of bullets. This past September I took a nice Ontario black bear using an AccuBond in the 200 grain variety and have been working on my 6.5 Creedmoor with a 130 grain AccuBond.
Can someone tell me why finding the 90 grain AccuBond for my 243 is impossible? I've seen it on Midways page and it says "Limited Production" when or might this bullet go back into production? Or will it?

Not quite an answer to your question, just my take on having shot both quite a bit I see no terminal advantage in the field in a .243 using the 90 AccuBond over the 95 Hunting Ballistic tip.

But the 95 Hunting Ballistic Tip is easy to tune, cheaper and nearly always available, plus is one tough lil nut in water jug and animal tests.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=30484

Welcome aboard.

The Accubonds are great bullets. I use a bunch myself.

The 90 grain AccuBond shot excellent for me in a few 243's.

Welcome aboard, tnarb. Unable to answer your question precisely. I suspect the shortage is, as has been true for many components, a matter of supply and demand. The AccuBond is growing in popularity, so demand is high. Nosler is still responsible to supply Partitions, E-Tips and Ballistic Tips for all that use these particular bullets, so supply is always lagging. I note that ATK nearly doubled production of Federal primers a couple of years ago, and they are still having trouble keeping up with demand. The current election will have a potentially incredible impact on components for hand loaders for some time. Look for supply to begin to catch up eventually. When? That's anybody's guess.

slickrem":vlxhf4bq said:
I wouldn't limit myself to Nosler bullets... it's just a name.

Agreed, but with what I saw on my bear, and when I find something I like, it's just the way I am.. Ford & Chevy both good trucks, Coke & Pepsi...the list goes on. But I get comfortable and like something I tend to stay until it gives me reason to go elsewhere.
Just ask my 1st wife. Lol.

The Accubonds are very popular that's why they are tough to find. As mentioned in other posts Shooters Pro Shop is a good resource. Setup an account there and put the Accubonds on an alert to get notification when they are back in stock. Don't be afraid if they're blems. I picked up 150 of them a few months back from there.

Also as noted in another post the 95gr Ballistic Tips are good and tough bullets. There is a post in the bullet test forum of the 90 AB, the 95 BT, and I think 100 Partition. They all look pretty good even at the high impact speed.

The Swift Scirocco II 90gr in 6mm are very great bonded bullets also...

tnarb":3skog14e said:
slickrem":3skog14e said:
I wouldn't limit myself to Nosler bullets... it's just a name.

Agreed, but with what I saw on my bear, and when I find something I like, it's just the way I am.. Ford & Chevy both good trucks, Coke & Pepsi...the list goes on. But I get comfortable and like something I tend to stay until it gives me reason to go elsewhere.
Just ask my 1st wife. Lol.

You aren't wrong to like the way Nosler's work. Overall, they have always been very consistent performers.

so were Winchester silver tips, what about Remington corelokts??? They've been proven performers over and over, until some people convinced they needed better. Chevy looks different then a Ford... Just like one woman from the next... but it's the heart that counts. AN AccuBond looks different... might behave different like different women, but just like two different lookin women, they both can cook they same but the presentation is different. I'm not a picky eater, nor am I picky when it comes to bullets. I know, what am I enquiring here on a Nosler forum then, right?? To really see that there is really no improvement on a bullet like the Winchester Silver tip, or Remington Corelokt other then to be cost effective to manufacture. A power point is cost effective. Remington made the ultra bonded core lokt, because people demanded a better bullet because they don't spend enough time at the range to learn how to shoot. I don't know how many times I had to help show people how to zero in their rifle and to breath, relax aim, squeeze the trigger, and most important to follow through their shot, and you would be surprised how many people don't have a clue what that means.

If Jack O'Conner can drop a 1000 pound bull elk with a 270 Winchester 150 Silver tip at 300 yards, and the exit wound was a smashed front shoulder.. Oh yeah and that Elk did a nose dive, shocker huh??? Why would John Nosler need a Partition? Sounds to me he needed to know shot placement, or not to shoot a 300 H&H close range on a Moose's shoulder. Improvements.... give me a break. A round nose verses a flatpoint, verses a soft point, verses a boattail is an improvement. Power steering is an improvement for old people, power brakes is another, and the list goes on, indoor plumbing and modern medicine is for sure.

Yeah, call it what you will but when you've had Core Lokts grenade on scrawny deer legs and Sierras that couldn't break a front leg on another little southern deer, I hedge my bets on bullets that'll work up close from any cartridge I have a rifle chambered in and expand out at distance.

I don't think Winchester Silvertips nor Core Lokts are bad, I just prefer to shoot better bullets at my animals. I spends 100's of bucks with fuel and camp stuff, so scrimping On the ONLY part of my hunt that actually connects me with my animal doesn't make strong sense to me. If they work for then by all means use them but I don't have the time, effort or desire to think about if I'm too close or too far from my next elk, moose, bear, etc to wonder if it will break through a front leg and get into the good stuff.

And I could be wrong but old Jack pretty much ran H4831 and 130 Noslers about as soon as they were mainstream and available.

Again, not looking at you Slickrem at all, if they work for you the way you like, that's great.. I'm okay with Noslers and a few others that I know will do the heavy lifting.

Partisan":q7zou42b said:
The Accubonds are very popular that's why they are tough to find. As mentioned in other posts Shooters Pro Shop is a good resource. Setup an account there and put the Accubonds on an alert to get notification when they are back in stock. Don't be afraid if they're blems. I picked up 150 of them a few months back from there.

Also as noted in another post the 95gr Ballistic Tips are good and tough bullets. There is a post in the bullet test forum of the 90 AB, the 95 BT, and I think 100 Partition. They all look pretty good even at the high impact speed.

The Swift Scirocco II 90gr in 6mm are very great bonded bullets also...

Oh I have 50 of the BT, and I get great accuracy out of my 6.5 Creedmoor, and 30 TC.

slickrem":34j08vds said:
so were Winchester silver tips, what about Remington corelokts??? They've been proven performers over and over, until some people convinced they needed better. Chevy looks different then a Ford... Just like one woman from the next... but it's the heart that counts. AN AccuBond looks different... might behave different like different women, but just like two different lookin women, they both can cook they same but the presentation is different. I'm not a picky eater, nor am I picky when it comes to bullets. I know, what am I enquiring here on a Nosler forum then, right?? To really see that there is really no improvement on a bullet like the Winchester Silver tip, or Remington Corelokt other then to be cost effective to manufacture. A power point is cost effective. Remington made the ultra bonded core lokt, because people demanded a better bullet because they don't spend enough time at the range to learn how to shoot. I don't know how many times I had to help show people how to zero in their rifle and to breath, relax aim, squeeze the trigger, and most important to follow through their shot, and you would be surprised how many people don't have a clue what that means.

If Jack O'Conner can drop a 1000 pound bull elk with a 270 Winchester 150 Silver tip at 300 yards, and the exit wound was a smashed front shoulder.. Why would John Nosler need a Partition? Sounds to me he needed to know shot placement, or not to shoot a 300 H&H close range on a Moose's shoulder. Improvements.... give me a break. A round nose verses a flatpoint, verses a soft point, verses a boattail is an improvement. Power steering is an improvement for old people, power brakes is another, and the list goes on, indoor plumbing and modern medicine is for sure.

Hold on cowboy, just saying what I have 1st hand experi nice with. The AccuBond sold me. Other bullets I am certain would be just as good.

so what are ya sold on pard? LOL

Of all people I would want to consider a tougher bullet, due to lack of game, but when I was told, which should I believe it??, that a Hot core bullet penetrated through 14 inches of drift wood and still came out a mushroom? I wouldn't know I wasn't there.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34208

Chuck hawks said it well..... If you have to take a questionable shot pass it by, other wise take up racket ball for a definite shot.

Shoot the 95 grain Ballistic Tip - you'll kill stuff dead and never miss what you think you might get from a 90 grain AccuBond. There's a reason Gail Root designed and used the 95 NBT.... hint....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnarb":28gtylex said:
Hey there first post, have already found a lot of good information. I have recently got into reloading. A buddy of mine had been doing it for years and I watched and wanted to get involved.
I have fallen in love with the AccuBond line of bullets. This past September I took a nice Ontario black bear using an AccuBond in the 200 grain variety and have been working on my 6.5 Creedmoor with a 130 grain AccuBond.
Can someone tell me why finding the 90 grain AccuBond for my 243 is impossible? I've seen it on Midways page and it says "Limited Production" when or might this bullet go back into production? Or will it?

Welcome to the forum.

Can't help with the 243 but both the 95 gr BT and 90 gr AB have a great reputation. The 130 gr AB is one of my favourites in my 260 and is a great match as well for your 6.5 Creedmoor. I like to experiment with a lot of different bullets but if pressed I would say the AccuBond is my favourite bullet. They are a great blend of toughness, good expansion and good b.c.

I might have missed it but what cartridge did you use on your Ontario black bear? They make 200's in 308, 338 and 358. Pictures are always welcomed here :)

gerry":m3jcac2c said:
tnarb":m3jcac2c said:

Welcome to the forum.

Can't help with the 243 but both the 95 gr BT and 90 gr AB have a great reputation. The 130 gr AB is one of my favourites in my 260 and is a great match as well for your 6.5 Creedmoor. I like to experiment with a lot of different bullets but if pressed I would say the AccuBond is my favourite bullet. They are a great blend of toughness, good expansion and good b.c.

I might have missed it but what cartridge did you use on your Ontario black bear? They make 200's in 308, 338 and 358. Pictures are always welcomed here :)

I used a 200 grain in a 358 WSSM. It's a wildcat we have here in Indiana. I have taken 3 bear. The last one was facing straight away from me. Came about 3 inches left of the spine, piled up 15 feet from where I shot her. I'll see if I can add a pic of the bullet recovered. It lodged in the front shoulder after digging an absolute trench.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 1,235
tnarb":1v8u2uvu said:
gerry":1v8u2uvu said:
tnarb":1v8u2uvu said:

Welcome to the forum.

I used a 200 grain in a 358 WSSM. It's a wildcat we have here in Indiana. I have taken 3 bear. The last one was facing straight away from me. Came about 3 inches left of the spine, piled up 15 feet from where I shot her. I'll see if I can add a pic of the bullet recovered. It lodged in the front shoulder after digging an absolute trench.

Here's the afore mentioned trench.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 1,232
tnarb":1ehr99vc said:
gerry":1ehr99vc said:

Welcome to the forum.

better pic of the shroomed out AccuBond.

Attachments

• IMG_3206.JPG
    IMG_3206.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,226
Back