Accubonds

I've had such good results with the AccuBond on quite a few animals over the years that I have very little reason to experiment. They cost more than some plain cup and cores, but I just don't shoot that many of them. Of all the expenses I incur during hunting season, bullets are nearly the bottom of the list.

I also have to say the 358 WSSM is an intriguing round. A guy who likes 35 calibre's will fit in nicely here :)

I have never used the .243 so I can't help you there, but my brother has killed piles of deer with the .243 BT. I also had great luck with the 130 AB and 120 BT in the .260. Have not loaded the AccuBond in the creedmoor yet, but have the 120 BT. Lots of good bullets out there to choose from if you can't find the AB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a doubt.. another 35 caliber nut as well.

That 200 AccuBond looks AWESOME. Pretty sure I'll give it a try in the Whelen this year. Fotis turned me on to a great load with the 200 AB and H4895.. Seems like it is whitetail and bear poison.

That recovered bullet looks really good, Nosler has a winner with both weights of 358 Accubonds.

tnarb, welcome to the forum, like Gerry I can not help you with the 243 as a caliber that small is not legal here in the north --just joking.

But I can tell you that the Nosler bullets have earned an excellent name for themselves. We use more swift and woodleigh than Nosler, but every nosler product we have used or seen used have worked just as they are advertised to do. As Dr Mike suggested, like all other good products on the market, the desire for a good product sometimes catches up and passes the production of said item.

Love the AB's myself! Consistently the most accurate bullet in most of my rifles; cannot say in my 358 Win as I have not tried it there as I have not yet run out of my handloads with the 220 gr Speer that has accounted for many elk, moose and bear over the past 15 years. Use it or have used it in factory ammunition and hand loads in my 250 AI, 6.5 x 284, 270 Win, 270 Wby, 280 Rem, 7MM STW, 300 WSM, 376 Steyr on game ranging from antelope to bison. Performance consistent when able to recover bullets in game (usually larger such as moose, elk and bison) of 1.5-1.7 times expansion and 90-95% weight retention. Also use it in my wife's 7MM-08,

Have not used it in 243/244 caliber, so cannot speak on it, but would think that it's performance should be as good as in other caliber scandal cartridges.

Love the AB's myself! Consistently the most accurate bullet in most of my rifles; cannot say in my 358 Win as I have not tried it there as I have not yet run out of my handloads with the 220 gr Speer that has accounted for many elk, moose and bear over the past 15 years. Use it or have used it in factory ammunition and hand loads in my 250 AI, 6.5 x 284, 270 Win, 270 Wby, 280 Rem, 7MM STW, 300 WSM, 376 Steyr on game ranging from antelope to bison. Performance consistent when able to recover bullets in game (usually larger such as moose, elk and bison) of 1.5-1.7 times expansion and 90-95% weight retention. Also use it in my wife's 7MM-08,

Have not used it in 243/244 caliber, so cannot speak on it, but would think that it's performance should be as good as in other caliber and cartridges.

slickrem":2lfxsava said:
so were Winchester silver tips, what about Remington corelokts??? They've been proven performers over and over, until some people convinced they needed better. Chevy looks different then a Ford... Just like one woman from the next... but it's the heart that counts. AN AccuBond looks different... might behave different like different women, but just like two different lookin women, they both can cook they same but the presentation is different. I'm not a picky eater, nor am I picky when it comes to bullets. I know, what am I enquiring here on a Nosler forum then, right?? To really see that there is really no improvement on a bullet like the Winchester Silver tip, or Remington Corelokt other then to be cost effective to manufacture. A power point is cost effective. Remington made the ultra bonded core lokt, because people demanded a better bullet because they don't spend enough time at the range to learn how to shoot. I don't know how many times I had to help show people how to zero in their rifle and to breath, relax aim, squeeze the trigger, and most important to follow through their shot, and you would be surprised how many people don't have a clue what that means.

If Jack O'Conner can drop a 1000 pound bull elk with a 270 Winchester 150 Silver tip at 300 yards, and the exit wound was a smashed front shoulder.. Oh yeah and that Elk did a nose dive, shocker huh??? Why would John Nosler need a Partition? Sounds to me he needed to know shot placement, or not to shoot a 300 H&H close range on a Moose's shoulder. Improvements.... give me a break. A round nose verses a flatpoint, verses a soft point, verses a boattail is an improvement. Power steering is an improvement for old people, power brakes is another, and the list goes on, indoor plumbing and modern medicine is for sure.

So you think technological breakthroughs in bullet design like accubonds barnes TTSX swift a frames etc etc is a waste of time? If so by all means load core locts and powerpont bullets. I shoot mostly premium bullets that are accurate in my guns. These are usually Wby mags that are tough on a bullet. For my lever 30-30 or 30-06 a hornady ballistic tip or a sierra will do fine for deer.

Hey Fotis.. do you think I fall in the category of intelligent men question everything?

Not my place to say sir. We all know where we fall.... :wink:

slickrem":112cm7n3 said:
Hey Fotis.. do you think I fall in the category of intelligent men question everything?

That may be so, but remember, trolls do too. Here's something to ponder.

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

E. F. Schumacher

I used to think that standard cup & core bullets did the trick for whitetails. Elk too if you went heavy for caliber. One day I had an actual bullet failure on the largest whitetail of my life. The buck was around 50 yards. He could have been 40 or 60, I did not laser him because he was too close to worry. Using a .270 win and a 150 grain interlock I waited until he was quartering away and aimed for the opposite shoulder. He was hit, jumped and then walked behind brush. Fully expecting him to simply lay down I was surprised to see him remain standing.

No, I did not do a follow up shot because the brush was between us and all I has was rump for a view. After a couple minutes he headed out keeping that brush between us. He was gone and the blood trail was light and lasted for 30 yards.

Until then I had never experienced bullet failure. Now I am a believer that it can happen. For me when shelling out money for hunts the least expensive part is the cost of the bullet. Heck, I spend much more for the steak I grill or the scotch I drink than Partitions or accubonds.

I'll add this; The point that poor or questionable shots should be passed up is 100% true. However, the fact remains that sooner or later any bullet can fail. It makes sense to me to use bullets that have the greatest chance of holding together for very close up shots and opening well for those that are way out there. It's a choice that we all make for ourselves.

chs

the fact remains that sooner or later any bullet can fail.

It makes sense to me to use bullets that have the greatest chance of holding together for very close up shots

A Partition doesn't fail... according to people on this site.

So which is it? any bullet can fail, or use a bullet the has a greater chance of holding together??? Sounds to me that you really don't know what to do.

Sooner or later..?? I said before I know a guy who took whitetails with a triple duce every year. I nailed a doe less than 25 yards with a 8mm mauser 170 grain hot core and found her less than 20 yards away.. dead. I shot a 8 point buck out of a tree stand right beneath me with a 165 grain corelokt .30-06. It trotted 25 yards and layed down like a dog. I had to finish him off. I think you won't admit, your shooting was way off, yeah a buck that size, and you said the largest buck you have ever seen, had to excite you to the point of causing your shooting to be off. I had a group of does come by and it was less than 100 yards.... I shot at the biggest one. Found no blood at all... by the time I reached the top of the ridge, with no blood trail, I was convinced I missed. It happens... admit it. Did you check your zero under a hundred yards? Doesn't appear you did.

Hey Slick,

I think the best answer I could give is.....................

Don't feed the trolls............................

c. schutte":3nzbikia said:
Hey Slick,

I think the best answer I could give is.....................

Don't feed the trolls............................

+ 1

charles, if you get a chance come by the lodge later and I will buy you a scotch and we can talk about our plan for getting a 30-06 for Scotty and a 30-30 for Dr Mike

Thanks April,

You can count on it! :>)

Ps. Can't help but wonder if old Harvey is off his meds again?

I'm wondering the same....waiting for the cartridge boys to start showing up in posts soon!

:lol:

Back