Accubonds

One shot from a 338 RUM and a 250gr AccuBond and this bull flipped over backwards and never moved again. The bullet smashed through both shoulders and was caught under the hide on the off-side. IIRC the remaining bullet weighed 101gr and was fully intact. I was very grateful that I had not chosen a lesser bullet for this task.

Yup - I am a believer in the Accubonds.

Moose_2014.JPG

A fine moose that no doubt provided excellent table fare, Charlie. Yeah, AccuBonds do work.

DrMike":1jm8d2yt said:
A fine moose that no doubt provided excellent table fare, Charlie. Yeah, AccuBonds do work.

I might add that I had originally set the rifle up for long range hunting using the Berger 250gr Elite Hunter. The 250 Accubonds were impossible to find at the time and the 225s didn't shoot as well in my rifle.
Fortunately, my backorder of 250 ABs came in a week before I left for the trip.

Whether or not the Berger would have stood the impact forces that the AccuBond did will never be known but slamming a bull moose through the shoulders at (essentially) muzzle velocity is quite the test of a hunting bullet. The AccuBond proved itself under some demanding circumstances.

I've had good luck with Accubonds in several calibers - 243, 25-06, 6.5x55 and 264 WM just to name a few.
Took a nice 5x5 elk this fall with the 142 LRAB. First shot passed through both shoulders:

2nd shot went through the ham and pelvis and ended up in the meat of the opposite shoulder. This was the first AB I'd ever recovered.

I figured punching the pelvis and poking a hole through the shoulder blade AFTER passing through some 4-5' of elk innards was pretty good penetration. What was left of the slug after passing through all of that weighed 59.9 gr. That's 42% retention.

Earlier this year (Oct 1 to be exact) I used the same bullet in my 6.5x55 to take a medium-size axis doe at 109 yards. Complete pass-through and DRT. Meat loss was minimal.

Last year I took 3 whitetail does w/ the 90 gr Accubonds. All dropped in their tracks. Closest one was only 40 yards, furthest one was just under 300.

I do use other bullets in other cartridges and with good results from them. But for these 4 cartridges, the AccuBond is the one I'm sticking with after trying several other weights and brands.

Pretty good performance. Congratulations on a couple of fine animals which will feed your family.

Back