Added another Lever Action to my Stable

Don’t look at the Big Horn Armory Model 89 if you like big bullets and lever guns. It could get expensive in a hurry. I’m thinking about selling a kidney right now.

gbflyer":3cxkv8js said:
Don’t look at the Big Horn Armory Model 89 if you like big bullets and lever guns. It could get expensive in a hurry. I’m thinking about selling a kidney right now.

A few years ago when I first discovered that place & their 500 rifle... They were selling a couple of demo models at a good discount. I was seriously tempted, though I had no need for such a rifle.

Very cool though.

I have been trying to figure out the details for building a lever action for the 414 Super Mag for a few years now...biggest challenge has been the barrel and determining which action will best work for this case...

Looks like I have been able to source a barrel and the Marlin 336 in 30-30 is going to be the best action to use.

This project may just come together this year!

bdbrown66":3iix9yna said:
Joec7651":3iix9yna said:
Here's what a “Remlin” will do. 3 shots at 100 yards with my 45-70. Congratulations on a great rifle.
Yeah, but did you cut your finger on the loading gate when you were loading it? :)

I'll see your Remlin and raise you 2 Henrys.

View attachment 1

Just teasing, of course. Good shooting!!

Great shooting yourself!

Nope, not so much as a scratch. Maybe someone spent a little extra time on mine. I bought it new in 2017, so it’s a new production Marlin. But not one complaint so far.

It’s all good. My hide ain’t quite that thin. I took it as good natured ribbing. Hunters and shooters have been giving each other grief about rifles since that first bamboo cannon in China. :lol:

My first was a Winchester 94 AE 30-30 and it was miserable. My dad was an avid reloader and that thing went down the road quick after turning in 6” groups at best. It was replaced by a Rem 700 BDL ‘06. I’ve owned a Marlin 450 Marlin Guide Gun that was a shooter and I’d love to get a 45-70 Guide Gun or a BLR in 358 Win.

Brinky72":104qxdj0 said:
My first was a Winchester 94 AE 30-30 and it was miserable. My dad was an avid reloader and that thing went down the road quick after turning in 6” groups at best. It was replaced by a Rem 700 BDL ‘06. I’ve owned a Marlin 450 Marlin Guide Gun that was a shooter and I’d love to get a 45-70 Guide Gun or a BLR in 358 Win.

I have a BLR in 358 Win that is a nice gun and lots of fun to shoot. Always thought the BLR in 450 Marlin would be quite a thumper and with the detachable magazine there would be all sorts of bullet options even using spitzer bullets.

Ever consider a model 71? The original Winchesters are pricey and hard to come by but Browning commissioned Miroku to build rifle and carbine length models in the 80s which are really fine pieces. My Browning carbine gives me 2615 fps with the Hornady 200 FTX propelled by 57.5 gr Varget. I acquired another Browning carbine and rechambered it to. 348 Ackley improved which, so far, gives me 2781 fps with 72.6 gr H4350. I'm still developing loads, have some made up with RL17 and more with H4350, hoping to see better. No pressure signs up to now. I use receiver sights with all of my lever guns save my sole Remlin, seems appropriate to me but the scope sure does tighten the groups up.

Back