Alliant Powders...Eye Watering

Aussie Wanderer

Beginner
May 5, 2022
I know we talk a fair amount about component availability and prices, but I was literally astonished when the local gunshop advertised the availability of alliant powder, and then really pissed off at the price. I can buy a brand new rifle for that price. Absolute madness.

Attachments

• Alliant.PNG
    Alliant.PNG
    19.5 KB · Views: 66
It seems like sometimes they can legislate gun control or achieve the same thing through market mechanisms...that would be the cynic in me though :unsure:;)

Cleavers who are usually very sharp on price. I don't suspect anyone else will be any different.

Reactions: cha
Fishing has gotten relatively in-expensive comparably …. Hint.

I m not gonna willingly get taken to cleaners. My shooting will decrease and I ll find other, more favorable hobbies cost wise for at least some of my discretionary $$$

Fishing has gotten relatively in-expensive comparably …. Hint.

I m not gonna willingly get taken to cleaners. My shooting will decrease and I ll find other, more favorable hobbies cost wise for at least some of my discretionary $$$
We share similar hobbies Frank. Just coming out of our Summer pelagic season for Wahoo, Mahi Mahi, Mackeral, Tuna and Marlin and into our winter species.

Unfortunately, if we quit shooting they won without physically taking our guns.

holy cow. I used to balk at VV powders, but now they are the "budget" line of powders...I've been burning up a lot more Ramshot powders, too. It's crazy everywhere, Grilling over the weekend and needed aluminum foil. the 200 Sq ft roll at wal-mart was $17.00

That is sad, I used to use RL15, 17, 19, 22, 25 for so long since I have started reloading, i like the RL26 for my 300 and with the outrageous prices and non availability I stopped looking at Alliant and look at other powders and Hodgdon is one of my favs, hopefully they don't follow the same footsteps Alliant is making.
Boycotting and stop buying from Alliant will possibly change their mind due to lower sales,,,if that works.

I don’t think Alliant cares. First, Federal Cartridge utilizes them in their factory ammo. Second, I may be wrong but I don’t think they manufacture squat. Bofors and Reload Swiss supplies 90% of it. Also Bofors supplies just about all European military ammo. I know for a fact that RL23 is Bofors RP36. They also make RL16 and 15.5.

Another one that surprises me is how much IMR and AA prices are today. I would like to restock AA2015 and IMR 3031 , but not at what the current prices are.

And yet sometimes I’ll restock out of fear of even higher price escalation…adding to the problem I guess. Thankfully our locally produced powders for rifle are still available though expensive compared to what they were pre COVID, are still cheaper than buying factory. I don’t think too many will be lining up for Alliant when there is an adi equivalent.

Back